U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:47 AM

7,785 posts, read 10,486,784 times

Advertisements

its not some chart on the net. Its facts. What good is 'feeling' safe.. if your not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxrasputin View Post
Sorry, but if you think Center City Philadelphia is not "safe," then you probably would feel right at home in some exurb many miles away. If your basis of judging a place's safety is predicated on some chart on the internet, and not actual life experience, then you will be missing out on many places in the world.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:47 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,187,753 times
Crime is still overrated in the city however.

My family has lived there for DECADES with little problem, yea I didn't say NO problem (1 or 2 muggings), but no one has been shot or anything serious.

You have to go look around the city really, you'll see where you'll find nice places to live and not so nice. Listening to off hand descriptions even from people who have lived there (like me) doesn't trump actually touring the city.

Still to beat a dead horse, if you stay out of North Central Philly and Southwest Philly, (and you don't do stupid things or hang out with stupid or dangerous people) theres nothing to it.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:10 PM

925 posts, read 2,086,803 times
There are some suburbs that I would definitely avoid: Darby and Chester in Delco; parts of Norristown in Montgo; Lacey Park/Warminster Heights in Bucks Co. and of course the grandaddy of all unsafe areas : Camden NJ. That puts to rest the myth that all city areas are bad and all suburbs are good.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:21 PM

183 posts, read 429,887 times
Default Great spots in suburbs

You might look at towns such as Media and West Chester. They are destinations unto themselves, and if you find the right apt location you can walk to everything, yet these places are not as fast paced as living in center city.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:11 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,722,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
its not some chart on the net. Its facts. What good is 'feeling' safe.. if your not?
Don't forget that the city is much denser then the suburbs so you have many more people packed together. Crime "per person" isn't that much different between the two but the city has more people, therefore more crime, which is what you'll find in most dense cities. Your odds of being a victim are about the same.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:04 PM

7,785 posts, read 10,486,784 times
you are very correct. People are people.. No difference BUT when you have a higher concentration of people you will have a higher concentration of 'undesirables' (murderers, druggies, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Don't forget that the city is much denser then the suburbs so you have many more people packed together. Crime "per person" isn't that much different between the two but the city has more people, therefore more crime, which is what you'll find in most dense cities. Your odds of being a victim are about the same.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:26 PM

992 posts, read 2,347,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
There are some suburbs that I would definitely avoid: Darby and Chester in Delco; parts of Norristown in Montgo; Lacey Park/Warminster Heights in Bucks Co. and of course the grandaddy of all unsafe areas : Camden NJ. That puts to rest the myth that all city areas are bad and all suburbs are good.
Camden is a City.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:17 AM

12,520 posts, read 12,743,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
A very accurate point. Criminals are opportunistic. Where would someone who's of the criminal mindset choose to burglarize, steal a car, carjack, etc.? In the city in front of potential witnesses or in a suburban McMansioned cul-de-sac?

An overwhelming percentage of urban crime occurs in neighborhoods where most middle/upper class residents would never set foot in.
100% of suburban crime occurs in places you could easily wind up in for the most part. So let's reassess the odds shall we?

As a statistical FYI, the cities of Tuscaloosa, Alabama and Charleston, South Carolina have equivalent murder rates to 100,000 residents as Philadelphia.
Tuscaloosa is the home of the University of Alabama and is otherwise a very small town. One could probably deduce that most if not all of the murders are
NOT occurring on the campus quad and are exclusive to one or two pockets within the city. Charleston is an historic tourist destination, and not a large city either. Again, people aren't being gunned down while touring or feasting on seafood at outdoor cafes.

Statistics can be used to sensationalize/create hysteria, or be used with some common sense. The hysteria-driven read them like a CNN caption, stopping at the surface. Unfortunately that won't change anytime soon..

I say let them quake in fear in their bland, whitebread subdivisions. We're better off.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:55 PM

3,490 posts, read 5,187,963 times
I too found the original question very poorly phrased. I assume that once you get to Philadelphia you would like to meet people and make friends? If so, saying that Philly is 'horrible' may not be the best way to endear yourself t the residents.

To answer your question, my husband and I moved to Philadelphia from Hoboken almost a year ago. We had visited Philly a bunch of times on weekend visits and really enjoyed it - much more so than Chicago by the way.

Having lived in Center City for almost a year, I would say that much depends on your budget and where you can afford to live. If you can swing living in a pleasant building in Center City then I would expect you to be very pleasantly surprised by Philadelphia. If you can't then you may find that it lives down to your expectations. Of course if you move to a new area with a negative attitude and expect it to be awful, then most likely it will be. If you go in with a positive attitude and can afford to live in CC then I'm sure it will be wonderful.

We love it here - well apart from east coast weather. Of course even that should be an improvement over Chicago.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,610 times
Anywhere between Market to Locust and 15th to 20th STreets is fabulous area. Safe, self-sufficient and lots of fun. If you are looking to rent, then check this out. NEW LUXURY CONDO-ARIA (http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/1048410506.html - broken link) (apts/housing for rent)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia