Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 05:59 AM

21 posts, read 64,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL7186 View Post
I know several asian guys who are with/have dated blondes, brunettes (no blacks though....); obv just not as common.

I don't think Philly is the right place to look for an asian girl, especially if you want one with an education & class. I guess University City has some, but not really sure what "type" you're looking for...gotta move it to NYC or DC.

Well... I have an innate attraction for many an "Asian" or PI that I see. Of course I'm not attracted to EVERY single one... In general I find Azn/PI women to be visually and culturally appealing. I'm more prone to women with some curves (not a usual stereotype of the Asian female, but they sure are out there, as I've seen my fair share of them) and meat on their body... The whole skinny, petite thing, isn't too appealing, but what the hay; I'm open-minded!

Yes I too have noticed that Philly is NOT the place for Asian interracial dating (UNLESS you're WHITE LOL?!). I've seen more and more Asian women with white men than Asian men at many a social (non-Asian dominant) function. Sadly enough, when I was going out with the few Asians I dated... MANY a person would stare and glare; pointing and whispering. ESP blacks and Asians (of all folks)! I found that the most amount of attention coming from either group, were primarily Asian females; they stared and made notice of my mixed relationship the most! What a shame... it's "okay" for Asian females to date white men, but it's not "okay" for them to date another non-asian minority? Laughable when thoughts of bias and race "bigotry" come to mind...
__Whenever I'm in NYC (a lot) I've noticed lot of Asian females with multitudes of other ethnicities/cultures... But in Philly—FORGET IT... I'm tossing in the towel, too much hassle dealing with bigots, co*k-blocking and general hating. If I find a nice Asian woman that's interested; sure, I'm interested... but chasing some girl around... Naaagh not worth it—keep'em.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:40 PM

127 posts, read 507,094 times
philly is not good for u.
Try san francisco.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:30 AM

21 posts, read 64,008 times
Lol... *sigh* Geesh, how small-minded Philly can be, esp being the 2nd largest East coast city...

Old 11-10-2011, 12:26 PM

219 posts, read 674,397 times
Many of the original Asian enclaves in the city have disappeared or shifted over the years, as gentrification or increasing poverty in some areas continues to shape the city. While there is still a steady stream of East, Southeast, and South Asian immigration to the region, many of the original migrants that came in the 70s and 80s have started to join the great migration to more suburban areas, like the Italians and Jews that came before them.

For example, Logan and Lower Olney once held a considerable Korean population peaking in the early 80s, but the continuing deterioration of Logan, occasional incidents of racism in Olney (does anyone remember the 5th street sign fiasco), and most importantly, increased social status, have allowed most of the community to move on up to Upper Olney, East Oak Lane, and Cheltenham.

There was once a sizeable SE Asian refugee and Korean immigrant population in Walnut Hill, on the northwestern tip of University City, but continuous harassment drove most of the community either out of state (as in the Hmong), or to Upper Darby (as with the Koreans). The area has a noticeable Asian population influx once more, this time mostly of Bengali descent.

There is a SE Asian enclave along Cobbs Creek, around Woodland Avenue, but the community has started to move on to the more suburban-looking Elmwood to the south.

There is a SE Asian concentration along the El in Kensington, but much of it has followed the El into lower Northeast Philly, especially around Castor and Bustleton Ave.

There was an Indian concentration in Oxford Circle, but much of that community has moved on to Rhawnhurst, Bustleton, etc.

The Asian community in South Philly has traditionally three cores- one just west of Broad and Morris, and the other from about Dickinson to Mifflin, 5th to 9th, and one around 11th and Washington. But the first has increasingly been displaced by the gentrification of 'Newbold', with many of its members moving south to West Passyunk, and west to the rather suburban area west of 25th, and the second has increasingly withered away in the north due to gentrification around Gold Star Park and Dickinson Square, and slowly been moving south towards Oregon. There is also a concentration of Vietnamese businesses at 11th and Washington, but many of the Vietnamese there have moved as East Passyunk continues to gentrify. The most mobile member of this community have left the city altogether, often for Cherry Hill.

Just because the city's Asian population has increased doesn't mean their areas of settlement are all in the same place they would have been 25 years ago.

Mod note: This thread has been locked for it's offensive nature.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-09-2012 at 06:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia