Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2009, 08:46 PM

208 posts, read 647,593 times

Advertisements

I am heading to a concert at the Wachovia Center on Saturday. We will be leaving for the concert from my cousin's house in Manayunk (she has only lived there a short while) and are wondering our best bet to get there. Would it be wise to drive? If so, how much is parking at the Center? How much would a taxi cost to get there (3 of us could split the cost)? Any other ideas you think would be better for us? I appreciate your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 12:07 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,957,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsynative View Post
I am heading to a concert at the Wachovia Center on Saturday. We will be leaving for the concert from my cousin's house in Manayunk (she has only lived there a short while) and are wondering our best bet to get there. Would it be wise to drive? If so, how much is parking at the Center? How much would a taxi cost to get there (3 of us could split the cost)? Any other ideas you think would be better for us? I appreciate your advice.
For 3 people it's not a big deal to drive, just check the times for the Phillies game and you'll also want to check the construction schedule for the Schuylkill Expressway - there have been regular weekend lane closures while they're working on the South St. Bridge. If there is some overlap with the Phillies game, a concert at the Spectrum, or construction then you might want to consider other options.

You can drive to Center City, park in a garage near Broad St. and take the subway down or you can take the R6 from Manayunk to Suburban Station and catch the subway there.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:51 AM

548 posts, read 2,008,851 times
I haven't been on the subway at night, is it safe at 10pm, 11pm?

I'm fine with NYC subways at night, up to maybe 9pm or so.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:04 AM

It looks like the Phillies game is at 4:10 so we should be okay there. However, there is a concert at the Spectrum also. UGH! I have only ever attended concerts via a busline and am wondering if I should have stuck with that option. Is the subway then train back to Manayunk both safe at that time of night after a concert? Also, what time do they run til?

Old 10-02-2009, 09:11 AM

The subway runs until the last event is over. The last train back to Manayunk is 12:30am or so. Not sure but you can check the schedules on the SEPTA website.

I go to about 20 baseball games a season, a hockey game or two, and maybe one concert a year. I think I've driven down there twice in the last 9 years.

You'll be in a group, traveling to and from a busy sports complex with thousands of other fans. You'll be fine. Seriously, if I thought it wasn't safe I wouldn't suggest it.

Unless no one wants to be the designated driver I wouldn't take the R6 both ways, though. It's a waste of time and money. It'll cost you $24 for the three of you to take the R6 round trip and at night on a Saturday both trips will take the same amount of time (car v. train). A parking garage should run you $10. You're better off driving to Center City via Kelly Drive. Park somewhere along Broad between Chestnut and South St. and take the subway from there.

If you do take the train and miss the last one back you can always take a cab. After all, it is Saturday and maybe you won't be ready to call it a night, plenty to do in center city. Taxi back to Manayunk should be ~$25

Old 10-04-2009, 05:08 PM

Thanks, solibs, for your great advice. We took Kelly Drive from Manayunk into the city (although diverted due to a road closure) and parked near Love Park in a garage. I loved the pink colored fountain in honor of breast cancer awareness, especially since I was wearing my breast cancer support tshirt. We hopped on the subway and got off right at the Wachovia complex. It was so easy. We never felt unsafe in those areas of the subway and as you said, after the concert people were piling into the subway trains from the concert. We were pleasantly surprised when we were only charged $8.50 for parking. The sign said 121 minutes to 24 hours was $20, but we certainly didn't question it when he gave us change! Your advice was right on target and made our trip less stressful and more fun. I really appreciate it. It's helpful people like you who make this forum so good. Thanks again. BTW, the concert was awesome!

Old 10-05-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsynative View Post
Thanks, solibs, for your great advice. We took Kelly Drive from Manayunk into the city (although diverted due to a road closure) and parked near Love Park in a garage. I loved the pink colored fountain in honor of breast cancer awareness, especially since I was wearing my breast cancer support tshirt. We hopped on the subway and got off right at the Wachovia complex. It was so easy. We never felt unsafe in those areas of the subway and as you said, after the concert people were piling into the subway trains from the concert. We were pleasantly surprised when we were only charged $8.50 for parking. The sign said 121 minutes to 24 hours was $20, but we certainly didn't question it when he gave us change! Your advice was right on target and made our trip less stressful and more fun. I really appreciate it. It's helpful people like you who make this forum so good. Thanks again. BTW, the concert was awesome!
glad you had a good time.

I can never make sense of those posted parking rates either. I think the prices are for a weekday and the off-peak times are always cheaper.

I'm guessing you used the City Hall station? That's some skill you have. It took me about 2 years of using it 5 days a week to figure out how to navigate it properly. It's like a maze and a dungeon all in one down there. I was trying to steer you towards the much nicer, much easier to figure out Walnut-Locust or Lombard-South stations.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:11 PM

Yes, we used the City Hall station. Maybe it's my small amount of experience using NYC subways lol. You're right though, it wasn't the nicest station I've been to and I had to hold my breath quite a bit from the "wonderful" smells -ewwww!

Old 10-05-2009, 05:14 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,204,653 times
City Hall station on the BSL is actually straightforward if you park near the LOVE statue; I'm pretty sure one of the main access points is in the plaza immediately west of City Hall (and just south of the LOVE statue) and the BSL entrance is on the right side right after you enter from the City Hall plaza location.

I've walked around enough times in the Center City Connector (i.e. the underground walkways) that I know where I'm at most of the time - I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia