Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 11:29 AM

55 posts, read 178,191 times

Advertisements

I've heard it is considered to be in the Northwest. About 5 min. from the suburbs, close to Germantown, Chestnut Hill and Mt. Airy. Also close to Jenkintown.

Mainly looking at the area around Stenton and Ogontz. Does anybody have their opinions of the area?

How diverse? School systems in that area? Housing? Crime?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 12:33 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,221 times
It's a predominantly African-American neighborhood, though in Cheltenham you have a Korean community and then some Caucasian people sprinkled in East Oaklane, Olney, and Cheltenham (probably West Oaklane, too). The school system is Philly public schools, but the neighborhood schools there aren't exactly the best (I went to private). I'm not sure of the elementary schools outside of Ellwood, which isn't too bad. For middle school you could try to get into Hill Freedman (a good, small, magnate middle school) and then apply to Central, Girls, Lankenau, or Masterman for high school (many of their students go there). Stay away from MLK High School, with a possible exception for special education needs. As for housing, it's mostly rowhomes and duplexes. Crime is a little bit of an issue. I grew up in East Oaklane, and West Oaklane is where we associated the crime always happening. That said, the area has improved in recent years (Ogontz Ave has seen more businesses open).

Personally, if you like the location idea (close to Jenkintown, Center City, Chestnut Hill, etc), I'd prefer to look in East Oaklane or Mt. Airy. Distance-wise, it's a minimal difference, yet crime is lower. Also, in East Oaklane you have some gorgeous houses and properties (I'll admit a little bias, but I love the neighborhood). If you're in the area, go to Under the Oak, a little bakery/cafe on Oaklane Avenue & 8th Street. The owner is really invested in the area and has a lot of information on recent developments. I've only been away for 5 years, but it's enough to keep me a little out of the loop.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:38 PM

31 posts, read 174,531 times
Stenton and Ogontz tends to be a more undesirable section of WOL

Old 02-27-2009, 10:28 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
It's a predominantly African-American neighborhood, though in Cheltenham you have a Korean community and then some Caucasian people sprinkled in East Oaklane, Olney, and Cheltenham (probably West Oaklane, too). The school system is Philly public schools, but the neighborhood schools there aren't exactly the best (I went to private). I'm not sure of the elementary schools outside of Ellwood, which isn't too bad. For middle school you could try to get into Hill Freedman (a good, small, magnate middle school) and then apply to Central, Girls, Lankenau, or Masterman for high school (many of their students go there). Stay away from MLK High School, with a possible exception for special education needs. As for housing, it's mostly rowhomes and duplexes. Crime is a little bit of an issue. I grew up in East Oaklane, and West Oaklane is where we associated the crime always happening. That said, the area has improved in recent years (Ogontz Ave has seen more businesses open).

Personally, if you like the location idea (close to Jenkintown, Center City, Chestnut Hill, etc), I'd prefer to look in East Oaklane or Mt. Airy. Distance-wise, it's a minimal difference, yet crime is lower. Also, in East Oaklane you have some gorgeous houses and properties (I'll admit a little bias, but I love the neighborhood). If you're in the area, go to Under the Oak, a little bakery/cafe on Oaklane Avenue & 8th Street. The owner is really invested in the area and has a lot of information on recent developments. I've only been away for 5 years, but it's enough to keep me a little out of the loop.
All right East Oak Lane! Lived there for 3 years have family there and visit every year. The East according to stats is the quieter area. Primarily black middle class. Overall good neighborhood.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:47 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
All right East Oak Lane! Lived there for 3 years have family there and visit every year. The East according to stats is the quieter area. Primarily black middle class. Overall good neighborhood.
Yeah, man! We've been there a while, my grandparents bought the house in 1960 (and then my parents in 1985....maybe me in the future...). I've always liked it, my dad calls it his "country estate in the city", since in the 18th/19th century there used to be "country" houses there for some of Philly's elite.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:40 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,585,845 times
some areas okay. other area okay. primarily an African American working to middle class area.crime

Old 04-15-2009, 04:19 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,585,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
some areas okay. other area okay. primarily an African American working to middle class area.crime
Sorry I accidently posted this before I was done, What I meant as far as crime and safety is concerned it's so-so,some blocks safe and others not so safe.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 7,918 times
It's a ghetto! I hear gun shots every week! It's a low income high poverty, crime laden, money pit. This morning at 5am I heard a gunshot next door! I'm leaving immediately. Fake suburbs for black people...

Old 11-01-2011, 08:57 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,349,946 times
Gee, I don't know if it's improved, but a decade ago, it was a war zone, and we had to move one of my elderly relatives out of there.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:32 PM

182 posts, read 377,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplewis View Post
It's a ghetto! I hear gun shots every week! It's a low income high poverty, crime laden, money pit. This morning at 5am I heard a gunshot next door! I'm leaving immediately. Fake suburbs for black people...
Well, that was tastefully racist. There are some good streets like this:

https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.06900...,4.28,,0,-0.15

And then bad ones like this:

https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.05012...10.71,,0,-1.11
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia