Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 12:00 PM

25 posts, read 60,631 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My family and I are looking to relocate outside of Philadelphia. My wife works in Chestnut Hill, and since we're looking for an area with a really good school district, MontCo seems to be the place of choice. I was wondering if anyone could share info about the different areas/schools in MontCo, how safe and diverse the townships are, and if there would be any problems with commuting (I commute near 30th Street).

Also, I've noticed that housing prices are falling around the area, but I'm not looking for something more than $250k. Understood that MontCo will be more expensive than some of the other areas, but I'm willing to pay more for location and better schools for my kids.

Any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 01:14 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,465 times
Price will be a huge factor because the better districts command the higher prices. But $250K will not buy much in most of these districts, unless you are ok with a smaller single, twin or townhouse.

http://www.svsd.net/important-news/important_news_attachments/pbt_state_rank_2008.pdf (broken link)

Old 04-21-2009, 01:32 PM

274 posts, read 1,400,521 times
You could check out Jenkintown or Glenside. There is a lot of older housing stock and if you don't mind a twin home, you might find something good there.
Both are close to Chestnut Hill and Jenkintown has good rail connections to Center City.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:09 PM

Default Appreciative

I don't mind a twin home - my main concern is schools for the kids and a backyard for them to play in. Saw some nice homes in Bridgeport, but I'm not sure if that's the direction I want to go in.

I was also told not to completely rule out the city, specifically Mt. Airy. I've had my problems with the city and have been ready to move out of it for a while. I was hoping that since I'm a 1st time home buyer, there would be some programs available to assist (I'm renting right now).

Thanks again for the info.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:40 PM

Well the federal gov't will give you $8000 for buying a home this year. You would be much better served moving to a good school district outside of the city. Analysts are saying the Philadelphia area housing market will hit bottom 3Q 2010 with prices on par with 2004 prices. I'm debating renting for another year to wait and see, and also because I will qualify as a first time home buyer next June...you may want to rent and wait as well, although the $8K first time incentive may not be there next year and the interest rates certainly won't be...

Old 05-19-2009, 10:17 AM

Another question (well, actually two):

1) Someone was telling me that Norristown is an affordable area. I've heard (and seen, thanks to orrmobl) that it's one of the worst school districts in the state (which also has me apprehensive about moving to East Norriton). If you live in a certain area, does that mean your only option of schooling is either the public school of the township or a private school? Meaning if I moved to N'Town I wouldn't be able to go to, say, Plymouth-Whitemarsh?
2) What's everyone's opinion of Norristown (and to a lesser extent, West Point)? I see a ton of properties available in Norristown, and usually seeing so much doesn't exactly instill me with a sense of confidence.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:46 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidGamer View Post

1) Someone was telling me that Norristown is an affordable area. I've heard (and seen, thanks to orrmobl) that it's one of the worst school districts in the state (which also has me apprehensive about moving to East Norriton). If you live in a certain area, does that mean your only option of schooling is either the public school of the township or a private school? Meaning if I moved to N'Town I wouldn't be able to go to, say, Plymouth-Whitemarsh?
2) What's everyone's opinion of Norristown (and to a lesser extent, West Point)? I see a ton of properties available in Norristown, and usually seeing so much doesn't exactly instill me with a sense of confidence.
I can't speak specifically on Norristown although anecdotally speaking, it's one of the least attractive suburban towns. As far as enrolling outside your district, unless that district has an option where they accept outside students who pay "tuition", then you are indeed restricted to your own school district.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:54 PM

711 posts, read 1,511,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidGamer View Post

West Point is nice. Definatly not like Norristown.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:20 PM

We have friends in West Norriton and they are planning on sending their son to Catholic school.

Always buy the smallest house in the best neighborhood in the best school district you can afford - most upside and easy resale should you need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia