Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:32 AM

8,968 posts, read 21,050,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
yes, and we can add Jose Garces to that short list. he owns
Amada and just won the 09 James Beard award for best chef in the mid-atlantic. i think he also beat B. Flay in an iron chef challenge

he owns a few places in the city now: Distrito, Tinto, Chifa, etc...
Nice. "Forget" Bobby Flay, indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 09:26 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,220,466 times
its impossible to forget bobby flay. hes friggin everywhere.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:50 AM

7,984 posts, read 10,320,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Pretty good cost-of-living for a big city. You actually have fighting chance of getting a SFH in a good neighborhood without bumping $1 million. The local economy is fairly stable, and it doesn't seem to be all tied up in one particular industry so there's a decent variety of jobs available. You still have a lot of cultural opportunities to take advantage of, and if you really need a break it's an easy short trip to multiple cities, mountains, and the beach. I've met people from Texas who are amazed at all you can get to in less than 4 hours.
YES! I was born in raised in the Philly burbs and am now stuck in Austin. I miss being a day trip from the beach, skiing, etc. Here it's practically a day trip just to get to the other side of town. And if you ask someone about trains or public transit here, they look at you like you have 2 heads.

I also miss the food (of course), the attitude, the diversity, the great museums, the history, and the natural beauty of the area. Oh, and Eagles games. But I make up for it by ticking off all the Cowboys fans here.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
YES! I was born in raised in the Philly burbs and am now stuck in Austin. I miss being a day trip from the beach, skiing, etc. Here it's practically a day trip just to get to the other side of town. And if you ask someone about trains or public transit here, they look at you like you have 2 heads.

I also miss the food (of course), the attitude, the diversity, the great museums, the history, and the natural beauty of the area. Oh, and Eagles games. But I make up for it by ticking off all the Cowboys fans here.
Nothing like ticking off Cowboys fans. While visiting relatives in the Dallas area one year, I passed by Texas Stadium and gave them the one-finger salute. (not the thumb LOL)

Old 05-28-2009, 05:09 PM

7,984 posts, read 10,320,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Nothing like ticking off Cowboys fans. While visiting relatives in the Dallas area one year, I passed by Texas Stadium and gave them the one-finger salute. (not the thumb LOL)
Actually, there aren't as many Dallas fans in Austin as you would expect; it's pretty much dominated by the University of Texas fans. But even one Dallas fan is too many, IMO. I have a big, fat Eagles emblem on the back of my car and proudly fly an Eagles flag on gamedays.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Actually, there aren't as many Dallas fans in Austin as you would expect; it's pretty much dominated by the University of Texas fans. But even one Dallas fan is too many, IMO. I have a big, fat Eagles emblem on the back of my car and proudly fly an Eagles flag on gamedays.
Good for you! (That is a thumb I'm throwing out, BTW. LOL)

Old 05-29-2009, 10:42 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,647,224 times
Quote:

This is exactly what its like living in Vegas too, with the public trans and taking a day trip to the other side of town...

Old 05-30-2009, 09:49 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,297,039 times
Consider this: The article below predicts that the Boston-DC corridor that runs thru Philly is poised to do better than the rest of the country.

Has economic twilight fallen on nation's Sun Belt?
The Associated Press: Has economic twilight fallen on nation's Sun Belt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia