Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 10:33 AM

4 posts, read 7,861 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone:

I am moving to Philly in September, and will be working downtown. ( Center City ). Are there any neighborhoods that are within a 20 to 30 minute commute by train that are diverse, but also have shopping, dining, art galleries, etc.?

I have a car so I would be willing to drive a short distance or walk to the train? Is auto insurance high ? I prefer to take the train anyway and use my car for getting out and about on the weekends. I am coming into Philly next month to look around.

Right now I am looking for an apartment until I get to know the area. I would like to be in an area that has garden apartments, and on site parking, because I don't like huge buildings, any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 12:51 PM

596 posts, read 1,706,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picturegirl View Post
Hi Everyone:

I am moving to Philly in September, and will be working downtown. ( Center City ). Are there any neighborhoods that are within a 20 to 30 minute commute by train that are diverse, but also have shopping, dining, art galleries, etc.?

I have a car so I would be willing to drive a short distance or walk to the train? Is auto insurance high ? I prefer to take the train anyway and use my car for getting out and about on the weekends. I am coming into Philly next month to look around.

Right now I am looking for an apartment until I get to know the area. I would like to be in an area that has garden apartments, and on site parking, because I don't like huge buildings, any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Welcome to the area!

To the letter pretty much, you described Chestnut Hill, which is still within the city of Philadelphia...yet a 20 minute train ride from downtown. There are numerous shops, restaurants, art galleries, coffee shops in the "downtown" section of Chestnut Hill. Many of the apartment buildings in the area fall into the "garden style" you seek. The area will probably seem similar to Shaker Heights in terms of architecture, etc. The SEPTA R7 and R8 trains end/originate in Chestnut Hill and are walkable from most of the neighborhood. Another option is West Mount Airy near the R7 Sedgwick or Mt Airy stations, or Manayunk which is on the R6. Downtown Manayunk can be kind of frat-boyish on the weekends which isn't everyone's "cup of tea"....it's also nowhere near as pleasant architecturally and far less green in terms of trees/parks,etc.

Car insurance is VERY expensive here because of the ratio of uninsured drivers and vandalism/theft. If at all possible I would recommend ditching your car as it's more a liability than a benefit. Philadelphia has two car-share companies that are fantastic resources allowing to rent a car by the hour or day, with insurance and gas included in the price. I give the edge to Zipcar as you can use your membership in other cities.
Car Sharing, an alternative to car rental and car ownership – Zipcar

Old 06-13-2009, 08:24 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,587,544 times
You may also want to consider Haddonfield or Moorestown, NJ and come into the city via the New Jersey High Speed line.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:00 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
northern liberties. ten minute by the el

Old 06-14-2009, 05:32 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,517,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picturegirl View Post
Hi Everyone:

Thanks
If you want the easiest commute, look in south jersey along the patco rail line - Collingswood, Westmont, Haddonfield are 15-20 minutes to center city and wonderful places to live. Collingswood is probably best suited for someone younger and from out of town getting his/her feet wet on the area. Lots to do in the area. Collingswood is a revitalizing town with several apartment and condo complexes with on site parking.

Collingswood, New Jersey | Collingswood, New Jersey

The newest complex in the downtown area is called the Lumberyard:

http://www.lumberyardcondos.com/index_content.html (broken link)

Old 06-14-2009, 06:02 AM

149 posts, read 445,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
Welcome to the area!

To the letter pretty much, you described Chestnut Hill, which is still within the city of Philadelphia...yet a 20 minute train ride from downtown. There are numerous shops, restaurants, art galleries, coffee shops in the "downtown" section of Chestnut Hill. Many of the apartment buildings in the area fall into the "garden style" you seek. The area will probably seem similar to Shaker Heights in terms of architecture, etc. The SEPTA R7 and R8 trains end/originate in Chestnut Hill and are walkable from most of the neighborhood. Another option is West Mount Airy near the R7 Sedgwick or Mt Airy stations, or Manayunk which is on the R6. Downtown Manayunk can be kind of frat-boyish on the weekends which isn't everyone's "cup of tea"....it's also nowhere near as pleasant architecturally and far less green in terms of trees/parks,etc.

Car insurance is VERY expensive here because of the ratio of uninsured drivers and vandalism/theft. If at all possible I would recommend ditching your car as it's more a liability than a benefit. Philadelphia has two car-share companies that are fantastic resources allowing to rent a car by the hour or day, with insurance and gas included in the price. I give the edge to Zipcar as you can use your membership in other cities.
Car Sharing, an alternative to car rental and car ownership – Zipcar
Car insurance in Mt Airy and Chestnut Hill can be expensive with some companies, but wildly cheaper with others. I moved from Glenside (Montgomery County) to East Mt Airy and found good coverage at the same cost. You just have to shop around.

Northwest Philadelphia is uniquely historic and beautiful, has excellent public transit options, and is quite diverse demographically speaking. All in all a fantastic place to live.

Good luck!

Old 06-15-2009, 07:02 AM

4 posts, read 7,861 times
Thank You all so much for the information . These areas sound beautiful and I can't wait to move and enjoy the neighborhood, and all it has to offer.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:45 PM

10 posts, read 17,338 times
Manayunk... 1 mile walk to train, 15 minutes to city, bars, restaurants, shopping, small town feel with Philly up road, also people are out and about a ton in summer AND Wissihickon park a walk away for hiking, biking, running, etc.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:12 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,527,100 times
According to a website that analyzes city and town info, Ambler and Lansdale have an 83-85% similarity to Shaker Heights, although Shaker Heights is much more affluent and educated. Looks like the inner Main Line (Lower Merion, Narberth, Bala Cynwyd, Wynnewood, Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Rosemont, Radnor) also would fit the bill.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:11 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Ambler and Lansdale are more like Medina and Chagrin Falls. But the Main Line communities closest to the city do have a similar vibe to Shaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia