U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-17-2007, 09:05 AM

318 posts, read 1,412,708 times

Advertisements

Well we still haven't been given the go ahead to put our house up yet..but still know we are moving to the Philly area. We have narrowed down an area in NJ that we are going to focus on which is the Mullica Hill area. But, I heard parts of the Philly suburbs are gorgeous and very scenic..which is something Nj is not..

there are some nice houses that I saw in the Collegeville area..but know nothing about it. I looked up some of the schools and they seemed pretty good on greatschools.net... How is the commute to Center City? How scenic is it? Is it a collegy area..or is the name misleading??

Rainrock, I was reading some of your replies and saw you mentioned something about the "Sunbelt Region"..the areas you mentioned were some I was interested in...what is the "Sunbelt Region"?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 08:48 PM

78 posts, read 265,000 times
Default Skippack is great

The commute to Philadelphia is roughly 1 hour. Depending on what part of the city you need to get to it can be more or less. Traffic is another issue. The Collegeville area is very nice but the area has grown very quickly in the last decade. I prefer the Skippack area because it gives you a few more options and has a great village feel. Great restaurants, shops and easy access to the city. Schools(Methacton, Perkiomen Valley) in the area rate very well. The scenery is quite beautiful and you are a short ride to many outdoor activities.

Collegeville is not what I would consider a collegey feel. I went to school in a college town that felt like a college town. Collegeville feels like suburbia because of all the industry that surrounds it.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:44 PM

3,971 posts, read 8,580,180 times
The views from Methacton High School(Skippack) are tremendous . You can see the Philadelphia skyline from there ( 30 miles away)

Collegeville doesn't have a college atmosphere. Not sure what the deal is with the name?

I don't remember exactly what I said about a sunbelt region but the closest thing to a sun belt region in the Philly area are the towns like Trappe/Collegeville/Royersford/Skippack sprouting up along Rt 422 and Rt. 202( Chester Springs-Exton-Great Valley-Kimberton)

The commute from Collegeville to Center City is about an hour. Best bet is to take Germantown ave. through Chestnut Hill to Lincoln drive then Kelly Drive.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:35 PM

Default thanks..

Do you guys feel that collegeville is a nice area? Safe? Friendly? We have been trying to narrow down the areas . My husband thinks Chester Springs will prove to be a nightmare commute wise. ..We are still interested in areas of Chester County..but hubby saw some houses in Collegeville that interested him... Rainrock, you said the commute to center city was about an hour...is that without traffic? I know it's very trafficky surrounding Philly..Is this area average traffic, more or less?

So anything you can tell me about that area and anything surrounding it would be great. Are there conveniences around that area? Is it stripmall city..or is there pretty landscape?

I appreciate all the info you guys provide..You really help a lot.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:02 PM

Heres some photos to give you some idea what the areas look like. This was taken from Methacton High School which is in Worcester Township- right next to Skippack/Collegeville. Not the greatest commute into Center city but its manageable. Sunday drive=30/40 minutes to CC. Rush hour probably 1 1/4 hr until you get to know the shortcuts (1 hr)

Skippack/Worcester Township- facing east towards Philly Philly Skyline way off in distance .... 25 miles away

SKippack/Worcester- facing west. Great views-blurry pic. the further NW you go from the city the better the views.

Chester Springs Marsh Creek Lake

Media/Edgmont Only 1/2 hour or so from center city(rush hour) 12 miles. Great town and very nice surrounding area.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:20 PM

7,788 posts, read 12,009,047 times
Rainrock, Collegeville is the home of Ursinus College. I suppose that's what inspired the name. The true "Collegeville" might be University City... or perhaps a stretch along route 30.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:37 AM

Wow thanks Rainrock..I really appreciate the pictures..It looks very very pretty. That really helped a lot. Thanks for the actual commute times too.. An hour isn't a big deal..that is what it takes my husband to get home from Baltimore now. Sometimes longer if there is an accident on 95...and there is ALWAYS an accident on 95.

We are trying not to get a huge commute time..just because he will never see the kids if he gets home real late!!

Thanks again

Old 06-14-2007, 08:39 AM

Ps...

We looked up chester springs..and my husband thought it seemed pretty far out and thought it would be a brutal commute..Is that about the same? an hour at least?

Old 06-14-2007, 10:00 AM

Chester Springs is way out there but the commute isn't that bad yet. From Chester Springs to say King of Prussia the commute would be a breeze, but from KOP to Center City is where things get backed up. Its not bad if everything goes well but if their is an accident/bad weather its brutal.

The thing I like about Chester Springs/Exton is that everything is pretty much brand new. New schools,new stores, restaurants, great customer service etc. with no crime or poverty whatsoever. Its a very nice quality of living, very laid back, its not the rat race that the towns closer to Philly have.

You guys should come up and take a good look around the area and see what you are comfortbale with. I have family that live out in Chester Springs and they love it but it might not be for everyone, it might be too far of a commute for some.I'd take a good look around- Media/Edgmont/West Chester would probably save you a 1/2 commute and it also has a great QOL. Ditto Skiipack/Collegeville. The Doylestown area in Bucks is probably about the same commute and its an incredible town/area. Theres lots of options, you just have to do your homework and see what fits you best.

Dont forget about Septa which has regional rail all the way out towards Chester Springs and Collegeville. Its the way to go imo, spare your husband the hedaches of driving into the city. It will take about an hour on the train from Exton/Chester Springs into Center City. The average auto commute from Chester Springs to Philadlephia will be 1 hr- 1 1/2 hr..

Herea a Septa rail map.

Chester Springs/Exton/ is on the R-5.

Collegeville would be the R-6 you would have to park at the Norristown station.
SEPTA

Old 06-15-2007, 07:23 AM

78 posts, read 265,000 times
Default Collegeville Commute

There are a number of areas around Philadelphia that have a great community feel and atmosphere that may interest you. Collegeville is a nice area but I would think the Skippack area would be more of the community feel you are looking for. Many people see a map and Collegeville's close proximity to 422 and think it may be an easy commute but the 422 corridor can take forever to get to the city if there are problems. There is a real bottleneck in King of Prussia. The Blue Bell area is another nice area. I have also had relocating clients choose the Flourtown-Plymouth Meeting area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia