Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 08:17 PM

7 posts, read 50,664 times

Advertisements

I'm out here in Philly for a couple days and wanted to know if there were any restaurants that are at to top of any highrise buildings? When my mom comes out to visit me in Chicago we go to the top of the John Hancock and have some drinks, is there anything like that in Philly that I can take her to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 08:51 PM

244 posts, read 743,803 times
XIX (Nineteen) on the 19th floor in the Park Hyatt at the Bellevue Broad and Walnut.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:04 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,950,697 times
This may sound a bit off the wall ... but for lunch, why not take her to get a Pat's Cheesesteak in South Philly?

It's what Philly is best known for, and she will have an interesting experience to tell her friends about.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:22 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,560,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
This may sound a bit off the wall ... but for lunch, why not take her to get a Pat's Cheesesteak in South Philly?

It's what Philly is best known for, and she will have an interesting experience to tell her friends about.

I've said it before (and I'm sure I'll say it again), but Pats (and Geno's) are only good if you are drunk at 3:00 a.m. However, taking her to a nice restaurant in the Italian Market area is not a bad idea. But, since the OP seemed to be asking about a place for drinks overlooking the city, XIX is a very good suggestion.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:20 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,460,959 times
Apothecary and Continental also have rooftop dining/drinks.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:24 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,950,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
I've said it before (and I'm sure I'll say it again), but Pats (and Geno's) are only good if you are drunk at 3:00 a.m. However, taking her to a nice restaurant in the Italian Market area is not a bad idea. But, since the OP seemed to be asking about a place for drinks overlooking the city, XIX is a very good suggestion.
I am completely aware of what the OP was requesting ... however a cheesesteak at Pat's is a "unique" Philly experience that their mother might appreciate.

It's not about the food itself.

It's more about doing something that Philly is best known for.

Do you plan a trip to San Francisco, and not cross the Golden Gate Bridge?

Old 07-22-2009, 10:29 AM

10,220 posts, read 16,725,214 times
Nineteen has good food and patio seating on the 19th floor. There's another one opening in Liberty Place but I don't think it's open yet (R2L)

Old 07-23-2009, 11:14 PM

692 posts, read 2,341,482 times
I second the Continental, and also the Holiday Inn near the convention center has a restaurant at the top of the hotel, it's not rooftop but it has a pretty decent view.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:26 AM

33 posts, read 106,275 times
I can't imgaine enjoying a meal while gawking out the window on the hundred-something floor of the John Hancock Tower in Chicago!!!

I wish we had more restuarants on the higher floors of our taller buildings. The XIX has a stunning design- but WE NEED MORE! I think the Comcast Center has a cafe up high but it's private. The Pyramid club isn't readily accessable, either. The PSFS building has a nice place on it's top floor- but it must be reserved in advance (for big occasions...)

A nice sky-bar/ lounge at the top of the new Ritz condo (or either of the two Libery Places...), would be a nice addition to the city. I hear the ACC tower could include a restuarant on its upper floors. Think of the view one could have if the proposed Cyra Center South project included an elevated restuarant! Or the proposed Waldorf! So many opportunities....

Anyway.... yes, XIX is a good option. The Continental on Chesnut and 17th (?) is another good option, as you can get a good view of the highrises around you (despite being only three floors high). FURTHERMORE, they serve cheesesteak eggrolls with a spicy Ketchup- so you can satisfy the obligatory Philadelphia gastronomical experience as you enjoy the view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia