Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,737 times

Advertisements

I've been out of college for 2 years and I'm now considering a career change, from working in the non-profit sector to teaching elementary school. My only concern is that I have a BA in sociology (not education). Aside from taking the praxis exams, do I need to enroll in a master's program? Take additional coursework in education? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 04:39 AM

212 posts, read 610,560 times
I'd check out this program and see if this would work for you. Philadelphia Teaching Fellows - Home - Love our city, Teach our children.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:29 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,778,850 times
If you are considering a job in the Philly public school system you might also be interested in a job as a zoo keeper. Somthing like feeding the lions would certainly be much less stressful.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:22 PM

101 posts, read 384,434 times
...says the chucklehead who can't spell something.

You will need to get certified to teach in PA. This requires a certain amount of credits, which would coincide with a masters degree. When I made the same exact switch in 1999 I did a program called the "literacy intern" program where I taught on an emergency certification and did my masters/certification at the same time. This program doesn't exist anymore as the need for teachers in Philly isn't as severe as it was, but I'm sure there's something similar in place.

Just be aware that often these positions/programs end up placing you in some of the neediest schools in the district.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:49 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
If you are considering a job in the Philly public school system you might also be interested in a job as a zoo keeper. Somthing like feeding the lions would certainly be much less stressful.
If the lions carried glocks

Old 08-08-2009, 01:41 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,680,436 times
You will eventually need your Masters for public school, and a program like teaching fellows or teach for america could help you get that masters at minimal/no cost and with pay too I think. You get valuable experience, but it can be rough. I thank you for considering this pursuit and hope for all the success for you. Some schools if they take you, may not ask you to have a masters, but then your pay is significantly a lot less.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:44 PM

5 posts, read 10,556 times
Yes, try to apply for the Fellows program if it's something you really want to do. I'm currently a Teaching Fellow in the district and I can tell you that it's a great program. It's run by the folks at TNTP and they're going to be around for a while.

You get full salary and, depending on certification area, free tuition at a university partner. Elementary is hard to place into but it's not impossible. The hiring process, as with any large school district unfortunately, is kinda confusing to navigate. Long story short, you can interview with pretty much any school. If you end up getting placed, it is possible to end up at great schools like Central, SLA, etc. Of course, you can also get placed at a very rough school, but that is what the program is about.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:48 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
In Pa, most teachers start with just a bachelors and the reason for that is that schools must pay according to your education level, not your experience. Most districts would rather gamble on a new teacher with a bachelors degree and little experience then someone with a masters and the same little experience. In our area the district will reimburse for continuing educational classes that are leading to a degree and that's another reason to start with a bachelors - the district will pay for your education.

I

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:44 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,680,436 times
You can decide to risk starting off with a Masters if you have the right major. Even then some schools won't risk it with you with no experience, however some will be happy that you have that "out of the way." I don't think Elementary is a good asset to start off with a Masters since there is much more supply than demand. I hear NC needs Elementary teachers, but that is quite a ways away.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:34 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
You can decide to risk starting off with a Masters if you have the right major. Even then some schools won't risk it with you with no experience, however some will be happy that you have that "out of the way." I don't think Elementary is a good asset to start off with a Masters since there is much more supply than demand. I hear NC needs Elementary teachers, but that is quite a ways away.

What do you mean, "out of the way"? This is not New York State, there is no masters required for PA. For secondary ed you pretty much have to double major in education and your subject but that's all that's expected. The only jobs where a master is required are library science and counseling.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia