Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 12:24 PM

3 posts, read 5,608 times

Advertisements

hi everyone

i will be moving to philly in early october. i am a single male with no family or kids. i did lots of research online to find a good apartment and will come there to check out a couple of places in two weeks. before i do that i wanted to get advice from this forum to narrow down the search:

musts:
- i need a one bedroom apartment
- no more than 10 miles away from city center
- budget for rent is up to 950 but you know how it goes, the cheaper the better
- it HAS to have good access to public transportation, this is very important.
- safety of the neighborhood is important, i will be telecommuting, so not ghetto please
- i don't want to deal with parking hassle, so on-site parking is important.

desirable - but no big deal:
- urban, artsy feeling, young professionals, green areas nearby

which neighborhoods do i need to avoid? which ones are good? below is a list, if there is any area that i did not include in this list, please don't hesitate to mention it.

southwest philly
clifton heights
glenolden
landsowne
drexel hill
beverly hills
overbrook
wynnefiled heights
roxborough
upper roxborough
manayunk
east mt airy
west mt airy
germantown
melrose park
chelten hills
fern rock
cheltenham

in the following link, i marked some apartments. some of them are further away than 10 miles, you can disregard those. can anyone comment on the areas they are located? does anyone has anything to say about the apartment complexes? any suggestions?

Philly Apartments - Google Maps

thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 01:07 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapat View Post
hi everyone

i will be moving to philly in early october. i am a single male with no family or kids. i did lots of research online to find a good apartment and will come there to check out a couple of places in two weeks. before i do that i wanted to get advice from this forum to narrow down the search:

musts:
- i need a one bedroom apartment
- no more than 10 miles away from city center
- budget for rent is up to 950 but you know how it goes, the cheaper the better
- it HAS to have good access to public transportation, this is very important.
- safety of the neighborhood is important, i will be telecommuting, so not ghetto please
- i don't want to deal with parking hassle, so on-site parking is important.

desirable - but no big deal:
- urban, artsy feeling, young professionals, green areas nearby

which neighborhoods do i need to avoid? which ones are good? below is a list, if there is any area that i did not include in this list, please don't hesitate to mention it.

southwest philly
clifton heights
glenolden
landsowne
drexel hill
beverly hills
overbrook
wynnefiled heights
roxborough
upper roxborough
manayunk
east mt airy
west mt airy
germantown
melrose park
chelten hills
fern rock
cheltenham

in the following link, i marked some apartments. some of them are further away than 10 miles, you can disregard those. can anyone comment on the areas they are located? does anyone has anything to say about the apartment complexes? any suggestions?

Philly Apartments - Google Maps

thanks!!
Of your choices, I'd recommend West/East Mt. Airy as well as Manayunk for convenient, reasonably safe city neighborhoods. Roxborough is fine but you would be commuting downtown primarily by bus. Cheltenham and Melrose Park are fine suburbs but built more for families than young professionals.

I'd recommend Drexel Hill sooner than its neighbors Glenolden, Beverly Hills, Lansdowne or Clifton Heights. The light rail trolley is convenient and IMO its the most comfortable neighborhood of your immediate choices.

The apt complexes in SW Philly bordering the airport may be okay but there's really nothing to see here otherwise.

Wynnefield Heights and Overbrook are interesting. They should be solid neighborhoods yet there seem to be theft issues occasionally.

Unless I've missed any, I'd probably only recommend the other neighborhoods if you are comfortable with urban reality. They're not ghettos by any stretch but they're not Wisteria Lane or Santana Row either.

One extra rec I'll throw would be University City. It's a true melting pot which I consider to be a good thing. Depending on where you live you can choose from up to three light rail trolleys, two buses and a commuter rail station. You may find the option of renting in a converted home to be more ideal than many of the apartment buildings.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:42 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,681,266 times
Wynnefield Heights is different than Wynnefield technically speaking, and I'd say characteristically speaking they are different enough that they are like two different sections to me despite the proximity from each other and sharing the same zip code. Wynnefield seems to have 1 community association, whereas Heights has at least 2 different ones for subsections. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a 3rd one for Pencoyd or Belmont Hills.

You should consider Clark Park too.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
You should consider Clark Park too.
When you say Clark Park, are you referring to the University City neighborhood surrounding it?

Old 09-04-2009, 05:48 PM

That or next to the park. The park is basically around 43rd and Baltimore. There are some antique houses on Locust around 40-45th and down further south toward Baltimore Ave.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:34 PM

I don't know Fern Rock well, but I don't get a good impression of it. I'd only been there once, about 7 years ago. I haven't heard about many changes in North Philly besides around Temple mostly.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:37 PM

15 posts, read 40,731 times
Tone 509 pretty much summed it up.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:50 PM

Thanks for clearing that up, chessimprov. I figured that was what you meant.

And thanks to you too, MikeFromPhilly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia