Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 01:36 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

Flower show ... What affects people's lives on a daily basis? Do you really think it's sports?? That's what we're talking about -- the lack of attention to hard news developments that affect everyone who works and lives in the city and the region as a whole.

No doubt more than a few of the people living in this area care more about the possibility of their neighborhood library closing than they do the probability of the Eagles' prima donna du jour (sorry about mixing languages, LOL) having a bad day on the field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 01:40 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,209,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Flower show ... What affects people's lives on a daily basis? Do you really think it's sports?? That's what we're talking about -- the lack of attention to hard news developments that affect everyone who works and lives in the city and the region as a whole.

No doubt more than a few of the people living in this area care more about the possibility of their neighborhood library closing than they do the probability of the Eagles' prima donna du jour (sorry about mixing languages, LOL) having a bad day on the field.

Most issues people will care about, they'll know about already. A lot of news is just reiterating stuff people know. Seriously, the news is trash, and always has been. Do people actually expect insightfulness from the news?

Old 09-21-2009, 01:41 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,381,324 times
There's not a lot of hard local news that happens on a weekend- it's either crime or sports. Go to any other city and you'll see similar weekend newscasts.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:52 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Agreed with most of the posts here. The local network franchises here are pretty terrible in quality, but I think that has been a long-term trend nationally due to a major shift in viewership to national news networks and the internet. It's a shame, but it's definitely been a downward spiral due to blatant, non-stop sensationalization of everything negative (you're absolutely right, rainrock, that based on many of the broadcasts out of Philly you'd think we're part of the Greater Baghdad Region). I rarely tune into any of the local stations, besides KYW periodically on the radio.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:39 PM

15 posts, read 40,731 times
It's usually sports,crime,the budget crisis and weather.They might talk about what's going on around the country in like a few seconds to 1 minute.I rarely see any positive news.I always wondered why they don't mention our surrounding counties unless it's a murder or something.That still puzzles me.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:30 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,983,531 times
The people in the suburbs like to feel smug - and crime in the city helps them with that. Half the people in the city aren't smart enough to digest hard news and would just change the channel. The other half are watching WHYY . . . if we had a local news show half as good as Delaware Tonight they'd probably own the 6 o'clock news slot.

The morning show on Fox29 is better than anything on in the evening. Even the 10 show is better.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:33 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
The people in the suburbs like to feel smug - and crime in the city helps them with that.
Bingo. I would also guess that demographic accounts for 75% of their viewers.

The overall point being, why bother with local "news"? They haven't been practicing actual journalism for quite some time.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:34 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,136 times
If you need a break from same old city crime in the evening news, there is supposed to be a heart-warming local interest story on Action News at 11PM tonight. This guy I know rescued a mama dog and her 10 pups from a bad situation (and certain death for the mama) in West Philly. I'm sure there will be info on how to contact regarding adoptions, too. People, and news reports, aren't all bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia