U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-07-2009, 07:39 PM

6 posts, read 10,047 times
No...Of course I don't sit there and wait for a hello. I am a friendly person myself and always greet someone. I am talking about the vast majority of people who have their blinders on their eyes, heads in the blackberries, etc. You know, the ones that won't even make eye contact with you. I say hello which often the person will THEN say hello. It is not that they ignore me..at all...But, it is like they cannot be bothered or you are interrupting their 'space'..

Not being snobby, but I guess you have to step away from the area to realize it. Being gone for 17 years with yearly visits I was not that out of the loop. But visiting for 2 weeks at a time is different than living back here again. Other cities really are friendlier....unfortunately..Don't get me wrong, I still love it here....but just disappointed at the unfriendliness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-21-2010, 06:54 PM

97 posts, read 125,875 times
I've never been here, but this is one of my goals; to come here. In fact, this would be the place to move to if I was to move farthest east. This place is historic, and I like it. But let you know now, I aint scared of this city, and I aint scared to die! WE ARE ALL ONE! Jesus Christ is the captain. May God bless you Philadelphians.

Unread 01-21-2010, 07:48 PM

95 posts, read 134,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davante View Post
I've never been here, but this is one of my goals; to come here. In fact, this would be the place to move to if I was to move farthest east. This place is historic, and I like it. But let you know now, I aint scared of this city, and I aint scared to die! WE ARE ALL ONE! Jesus Christ is the captain. May God bless you Philadelphians.
You only have 11 posts, you went to the Los Angeles forum and said you wanted to move there, you've made one post then left, on the forums of some major cities....

Unread 08-05-2010, 01:05 PM

97 posts, read 125,875 times
The CIty of Brotherly Love. I think I'll like this city. I never been there. Tell me about the city, its culture, its transportation, its people, its airports, its neighborhoods, its location, and its history. I'm next door in the Buckeye State!

Unread 08-05-2010, 04:50 PM

521 posts, read 667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuting North View Post
Oh yeah, forgot to address the rental market that keeps popping up on this thread. I'm not sure why some consider it a positive that rents are so low in these what seem to be "utopian" Southern cities. All that really means is that housing demand is low (most likely from an iffy job market), and ultimately, housing is a weak investment. I see that as a major detriment to an area -- unless you want to rent for the rest of your life.
actually, having gone through rent issues only recently (having moved to Philadelphia from Dallas), there is more to it than just "rent is low because market demand is low." No, that's not the full story.

Dallas rents are lower than Philly rents because the construction costs in Dallas are a whole heck of a lot less than they are in Philadelphia. As a result of Philly's rigid labor market, construction costs in Philly are high, in fact they're higher than what a place might be able to command on market either as rent or buy. There was a whole Inquirer article about this phenomenon.

As a result, there is very little new apartment or even condo construction that hits the market in Philly, and whatever does hit gets absorbed quickly. The apartment vacancy rate in Center City is like 1% and in the city as a whole, it's less than 7%. Comparable numbers for Dallas will be much much higher.

Dallas apartment complexes are also mostly garden style, and are cheapo construction that don't age well. As a result, you can rent brand new apartments in Dallas that have all the luxury amenities and still not spend $1000. May be up to $1500 in a ritzy area.

The dynamic in Philly is totally different. Not as many garden style complexes due to land costs. Also, a lot more condos go rental in Philly to fill the void of lack of new construction of apt-only buildings. That changes things because it's hard to value individual condos since they're in various states of repair...some that are totally rehabbed and modern can get really expensive, because you're basically living in a 100+ year old home with intricate details that you will NEVER find in a cheapo Dallas apartment.

Unread 08-05-2010, 05:05 PM

521 posts, read 667,017 times
I'm from Dallas (actually, no, I'm from Houston but lived in Dallas for many years), moved to Center City Philadelphia less than two months ago. So far, I have met so many friendly people at work and around the city it's not even funny. I had harder time making friends in Dallas than I do here. May be it's because I walk everywhere over here.

Also, I live in one of those high rise buildings, because that's just what suited me for my need of the set of amenities, etc. No, I don't know a lot of the people in the building mostly because everyone is in and out and in the elevator for less than a minute. However, I have met two of my neighbors and introduced myself to them, and they have both been wonderful. That's just the nature of high rise living, I suppose. Especially where you are not a member of the condo association board or something.

But yeah, I get the feeling that Philadelphia socialize at different times and occasions than other people do. A lot more civic groups here are active and people attend those meetings and get to know their neighbors very well. And people socialize at work all the time. There are football fantasy leagues at my workplace (hush hush!).

Is the cost of living more expensive? Heck, yeah. But I moved to Center City Philly knowing that. I moved here from Dallas because I was tired of Dallas' social scene which is very easy to separate by races and then also by class. I lived in a high class neighborhood in a garden style apartment complex paying more than $1000 in rent, yet the neighbors were actually less friendly there than they are here in Philly. In fact, not often would I even get a "hello!" back in response to the one I would utter. What does that say about Dallas? Or about me? I don't know. But I can tell you that I don't miss that at all! Also, I don't miss my car at all. I would say if you move here from Dallas or from Texas, and you really like Center City and want to live in Center City, don't bring your car-- it will be a hassle, it will cost you more, and you won't even need it. I have lost 15 pounds just by walking everywhere, even as I have enjoyed lots of great Philly restaurant foods on a nightly basis eating out. That tells you something about the dreaded car-centric living of Dallas.

All in all, my money can buy a bigger house in Dallas and Houston, or more amenities, but I am actually more happy in Philadelphia. So take that for what it's worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia