Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 05:51 PM

71 posts, read 95,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I beg to differ. I know quite a few people who are looking to bail on the burg, who all say it ain't what it used to be... Been over the last 5 years they say.... There will always be pockets of greatness but overall it on its way down, sorry to say.
That's a shame ... so many people spending a lot of money to buy houses here. Society as a whole has changed, but Bridesburg will be just fine. The neighborhood is in a great location and has good housing stock. Look for prices to rise in the near future.
Have fun working two jobs to pay for your taxes. That Franklin Towne Charter is a pretty good school, huh? For Philadelphia anyway.
Tell your friends to leave if they're unhappy and to make sure they get a good price for their houses.

Last edited by RW 41; 04-12-2010 at 07:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlydude View Post
I will agree on the Bridesburg comment - born and raised and left when I was 24 in 2001 - my parents still live there along with one of my sisters. The neighborhood is in decline...all the older folks that worked at Rohm and Haas or the Arsenal are dying off and the houses are being sold by their children that don't want to move back to the seedier element. Drugs, while always in prominence in lighter forms, have become wildly available in the harshest forms. That coupled with the lack of employment in the area has brought some of that element creeping in the neighborhood. I have a friend that bought in the neighborhood and wants out (he was too born and raised there).
As a kid there was always the grease heads working on cars and the bad a$$es that you knew to stay away from and generally, a good amount of what you would call "trash" but the element has creeped away from the pockets of trash here and there and is becoming more and more connected. Pratt St. between Thompson and Salmon used to actually be a very respectable and nice street to live on 20-25 years ago...
The neighborhood looks better than it ever has and a lot of respectable people are moving in, I'm all over this neighborhood, they must see something I don't. The "element" (I suppose you mean black) is not taking over the neighborhood and there is actually less white... than ever. I think your friend may have had a personal incident or two with a neighbor and now he's going around bad mouthing the neighborhood. It's a quite common reaction to an isolated incident. I had a problem with a neighbor, but I'm not ripping the neighborhood over it. BTW, the house with the "element" on the corner of Bridge and Pratt is for sale, so they'll be gone. Tell your friend to lay off the panic button. I'd advise him to get out if he's that unhappy here, it only makes sense.

Last edited by FindingZen; 04-13-2010 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: watch the stereotypical language

Old 04-12-2010, 07:39 PM

324 posts, read 1,216,234 times
what intersection do you live by? Because I see it with my own eyes. I don't have the rose colored glasses on looking from inside, I can make an observation on how it is compared to how it was in the 80's and 90's

How long have you lived there? Because from what I see, it isn't any better

Old 04-12-2010, 07:57 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,785,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW 41 View Post
That's a shame ... so many people spending a lot of money to buy houses here. Society as a whole has changed, but Bridesburg will be just fine. The neighborhood is in a great location and has good housing stock. Look for prices to rise in the near future.
Have fun working two jobs to pay for your taxes. That Franklin Towne Charter is a pretty good school, huh? For Philadelphia anyway.
Tell your friends to leave if they're unhappy and to make sure they get a good price for their houses.
sorry but I have one job. Taxes are less over here then what I would pay in city wage.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:23 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,785,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW 41 View Post

The only homes in bridesburg home right now on the market over $200k are the new ones that are being built. The older rows there are no more then $150k. That's not a lot of money for a home..

Old 04-12-2010, 10:14 PM

219 posts, read 671,200 times
I think Bridesburg is as good as it ever was, if not better. The waves of Polish immigrants that came to the neighborhood in the 90s and early 2000s helped reinvigorate the area, and thankfully, they don't have the American pathology to move to some soulless tract home when they achieve a modicum of success; instead they reinvest it back in their communities. I don't see a damn thing wrong with Pratt Street between Almond and Salmon. As a matter of fact, it looks like a beautiful street, in a nice, quiet, well-kept neighborhood. I think that all the complaints about Bridesburg arise because someone saw a kid smoking weed on a stoop down the block, and think it signifies the first sign of an inevitable decline. I have news for y'all- Decline is NOT inevitable, and one kid smoking weed does NOT make the neighborhood a hood.

As for the original theme of the post, 6300 Marsden is on a nice, quiet block, representative of the epitome of lower-middle class existence in the Great Northeast. There's no trash. There's small lawns. There's a well-kept driveway. There are old people on the block and groups of teens that party too hard- but that is just about it. As the sturdy housing stock of older neighborhoods like Wissinoming/Mayfair/Tacony becomes more and more appreciated, I think that buying the house WOULD be a good investment.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
The only homes in bridesburg home right now on the market over $200k are the new ones that are being built. The older rows there are no more then $150k. That's not a lot of money for a home..
Somebody just bought an old one on Garden Street for 245k. There's one around the corner for 162k, an older row. 150k is good for an old city row ... don't compare the city to the suburbs. There are plenty of old homes around here moving for 150k+. Tell your friends to go while the getting's good.

Last edited by RW 41; 04-12-2010 at 10:35 PM..

Old 04-12-2010, 10:18 PM

219 posts, read 671,200 times
Default Franklin Towne Charter

So for all those people repeating that tired old mantra of "schools, schools, schools" as a reason for fleeing to the suburbs, i would just like to point out that halfway between Bridesburg and Tacony, you can find Franklin Towne Charter, one of the best schools in Philadelphia.... but nobody would admit it, because they would lose their excuse...

Old 04-12-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlydude View Post
what intersection do you live by? Because I see it with my own eyes. I don't have the rose colored glasses on looking from inside, I can make an observation on how it is compared to how it was in the 80's and 90's

How long have you lived there? Because from what I see, it isn't any better
The 80's and 90's? Bridesburg was teetering on becoming "Kensington North" in the 80's and early 90's. The neighborhood looks better than ever, as previously stated. Hardly a run down house from what I see.
I'm all over the neighborhood, I keep my eyes open and I know a lot of people. I don't hear anybody saying "it's time to get out." If someone is unhappy here or has a dirtball neighbor, they should leave, they have that option. Are there drugs? Yes. But we don't have any more than anywhere else. Is there some theft and vandalism? Yes. Don't leave anything of value out, it'll walk. It's been like that since as far back as I can remember (late 70's). Is there violent crime? Extremely rare.
What exactly are you seeing that's causing you grief? Did you see some blacks and hispanics? People need to grow a set and stop worrying about a little color, Bridesburg hasn't been "targeted" and it isn't "changing."
I thought you lived in Delaware? If the neighborhood was going down, those new homes wouldn't have been built and people wouldn't be opening new businesses here.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennKid View Post
So for all those people repeating that tired old mantra of "schools, schools, schools" as a reason for fleeing to the suburbs, i would just like to point out that halfway between Bridesburg and Tacony, you can find Franklin Towne Charter, one of the best schools in Philadelphia.... but nobody would admit it, because they would lose their excuse...
Don't forget Bridesburg Elementary, it's one of the best public schools in the STATE. Did you know FTC is building an elementary school on the old Thriftway lot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia