U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 12:17 AM

3 posts, read 34,227 times

Advertisements

Hello

I am moving to Phily to work in UPENN. I am a single female and I am considering places to live. Safety is my utmost priority. At this point I am planning on driving (5miles or so) to UPENN (38th and walnut) and would also like to live close to a train station. I am considering suburbs like narberth, wynnewood, ardmore. Any advice on safety in these areas? Could you name any specific apartments that you may know of? Please let me know if there are any other options.

I am also considering Chestnut hill area. But it seems like (atleast on maps.google.com) that chesnut hill is further away `10miles from university city while narberth and ardmore less. Will the driving distance/time a lot different between main line area and chestnut hill?

Thanks

Last edited by goodfriend; 05-05-2007 at 12:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 05:46 AM

21 posts, read 64,925 times
Default Would you try another direction?

A few years ago, I scouted out areas to purchase a home in the "near northeast" of Philadelphia, until I got priced out. I found Fishtown to be safe and peaceful, especially around Belgrade and Thompson Streets. It is one of the oldest areas of the city, and has a feel a little like parts of Boston. It is very up and coming. Even trendier is "Northern Liberties", between Fishtown and Chinatown. With a grittier feel, it is popular among artists and trendy urbanites. I felt it seemed safe there. You can also try Bridesburg, a little farther out.
Good luck!

Old 05-05-2007, 08:52 AM

1,879 posts, read 4,839,541 times
Center City is safe and the best place to live. There is easy bus transportation to Penn. The Route 21 bus (along Walnut Street) will take you right to 38th and Walnut.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:33 AM

3,952 posts, read 8,487,753 times
I agree with newmarlig. Center City is where a ton of young professionals and students live. Its a great mix of quiet safe neighborhoods and tremendous vibrancy a few blocks away around Rittenhouse Square. Wouldn't be a bad place to check into. Your best bet would be to check out apartment search feature on www.craigslist.com. A few neighborhoods to look into Fitler Square,Rittenhouse Square,Art Museum,Washington West,Soceity Hill,Bella Vista,Queen Village,Old City,Spring Garden,Fairmount. You may find that you like University City and Spruce Hill as well.

To answer your original question. Narberth,Ardmore,Wynnewood are very safe areas. Chestnut Hill is also an incredible neighborhood- the commute from Chestnut Hill will only be 5 minutes longer than from Narberth. All of those communities would be worth looking into.

Good luck

Old 05-05-2007, 09:59 AM

1,879 posts, read 4,839,541 times
To add to Rainrock's response, the best areas for using the 21 bus would be Rittenhouse Square, Wash West, old city and Society Hill.

Bella Vista, Queen Village, Spring Garden, and Fairmount are great areas, but you would either have to walk a bit to Walnut Street, or take another bus to Walnut Street and transfer. Depending on your work schedule you may not want to do that.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:12 PM
ely

3 posts, read 33,741 times
Smile Moving to philly next week

Hello im moving frm fairfax city,virginia in washington dc metropolitan area to philadelphia
I have a 7 years old child,i want to know where is the safest neighborhoods to live with my child and my husband
Please let me know any informations about schools , good neighborhoods,and any other info that you concern important
I will be at the New College Building, Hahnemann University Hospital ,no idea about the area or the hospital itself.

please i will appreciate any information
thank you
waiting to hear from you

Old 02-01-2008, 11:48 PM

2,799 posts, read 5,376,815 times
One thing I'll note is that although the Main Line towns (Narberth, Wynnewood, Ardmore) are in general very nice, you will have to drive through a very rough part of west Philadelphia to get to the Penn campus if you live there. Provided you stay in your car and it doesn't break down, that shouldn't be a problem however.

Even though you said you'd want to drive to Penn for work, public transit is definitely a viable and in some ways preferable option to get to Penn's campus. I think 4 of the 5 SEPTA subway-surface trolleys (Routes 11, 13, 34, and 36) stop one block south of 38th and Walnut and the 5th trolley (Route 10) stops 2 blocks away to the east. The trolleys run from the City Hall area to various locations in west Philadelphia.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:32 AM

497 posts, read 894,299 times
Default Driving to Penn

One thing to consider with driving to Penn is parking. It will be difficult to find parking on the street. You will likely have to pay. I'm not sure how it is now (I use public transportation), but parking lots owned by U. Penn use to have long waiting lists. However, they have added parking in recent years.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:06 PM

992 posts, read 2,320,956 times
I wouldn't rule out somewhere like Palmyra NJ, you have the River Line stop right there and an easy commute to Center CIty

Old 02-03-2008, 09:47 PM

3,771 posts, read 2,870,714 times
Best Place in my opinion to live in the Metro Philly Area.

Apartment Dwelling Single Female- Best Spot Montco- Plymouth Meeting
Apartment Dwelling Single Male- Delco - Haverford or Villanova
Apartment Dwelling Family - Delco - Media, Ridley

Buying a home Single- Delaware- Cheapest Tax Bracket around!
Buying a home Married w/ children - Delaware- Brandywine school district or Ridley, PA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia