Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 02:30 PM

7 posts, read 11,677 times

Advertisements

My husband and I make our living creating (he's an oil painter, i'm a jeweler). We are also a mixed-raced couple (black and white) and are interested in relocating from the NC mountains to Lancaster, PA. Can anyone tell me what the city is like? My husband has visited it and fell in love on sight, but we need more information less superficial. We have no children living at home, so we don't need anything regardings schools. Can anyone help? Would we be bothered for being mixed-raced? Can we make a living there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 05:40 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,341,852 times
The western part of Lancaster City would be the best location for you. Relatively safe with nice houses. The county, in general, is very conservative and there are alot of closed-minded people here who don't accept ANY outsiders, regardless of race. We moved here from Philly six years ago and we wished we had rented for awhile to get to know the attitudes of the residents before buying. You should do well with your businesses.

Best of luck with your move.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:26 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,526 times
You guys coming from Asheville? As artists I assumed you were looking into moving to Lancaster City, which is a great town, and reasonably diverse (mostly white and hispanic).

I don't know anything about the rest of the county.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:55 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,516,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
The western part of Lancaster City would be the best location for you. Relatively safe with nice houses. The county, in general, is very conservative and there are alot of closed-minded people here who don't accept ANY outsiders, regardless of race. We moved here from Philly six years ago and we wished we had rented for awhile to get to know the attitudes of the residents before buying. You should do well with your businesses.

Best of luck with your move.
A relative moved to Lancaster County several years ago. Go and visit before moving. There are some very low income and rough parts in the city and around it, slammed up against some nice developments of white and blue collar folks. Any attraction, even a mall, is going to be a drive. It is a fairly easy drive to Philly but still well over an hour. In terms of housing costs, I would think Lancaster is considerably cheaper than Asheville, NC.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:07 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,816,182 times
any attraction? like central market? I suspect Lancaster City will continue to redevelop, especially if Pennsylvania gets its plan to upgrade the train line funded. It plans to cut 20 minutes off the trip to harrisburg, most of which will come off the Lancaster-Philly segment, putting the trip time to 50-60 minutes (as opposed to 65-75 minutes). you may also want to look at Harrisburg which has a nice downtown, a bit newer (ie railroad era) but also on the susquehana.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:08 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,341,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
A relative moved to Lancaster County several years ago. Go and visit before moving. There are some very low income and rough parts in the city and around it, slammed up against some nice developments of white and blue collar folks. Any attraction, even a mall, is going to be a drive. It is a fairly easy drive to Philly but still well over an hour. In terms of housing costs, I would think Lancaster is considerably cheaper than Asheville, NC.
The eastern part of Lancaster City is alittle rough. Access to shopping isn't bad along Routes 462, 30 & 283. Again, the issue is the people and how they accept you.

My other thought, Crys, is, that addition to establishing a central location for your professions, is that there are a TON of Craft Shows in the county. Maybe you and your spouse can rent some space at some of them. We went to alot of them this year and most vendors said they did very well, despite the down economy.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:16 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,691,987 times
Another place you might try, nearby is Oxford Pa. Lincoln University, a historically black school, is there and it is right on US1 with easy access to Philly and Baltimore. I'd recommend Coatesville but its' kind of dumpy.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:10 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,163,259 times
crys1998,

Although you've received a surprising (to me) number of responses for an area that's more than an hour away from Philly, I'd recommend that you also post your question on the general Pennsylvania forum as well.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:19 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,516,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
The eastern part of Lancaster City is alittle rough. Access to shopping isn't bad along Routes 462, 30 & 283. Again, the issue is the people and how they accept you.

My other thought, Crys, is, that addition to establishing a central location for your professions, is that there are a TON of Craft Shows in the county. Maybe you and your spouse can rent some space at some of them. We went to alot of them this year and most vendors said they did very well, despite the down economy.
Understated, IMO, parts of Lancaster remind me of Camden.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:58 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,816,182 times
lancaster city is much nicer than camden, take that as you will (that camden is God awful or that Lancaster city has some really nice parts). the best solution for camden is to put 95 through it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia