U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 10:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,833 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

My roommate and I are looking to move to Ridley Park, PA. Neither of us are overly familiar with PA, but we were in the Ridley Park area and liked it. Specifically, we really loved how a lot of the older Victorian homes have been turned into apartments, and that is what caught our eye the most. But with the exception of walking up and down every street, we weren't sure if anyone had any tips as to finding out about what is for rent in those houses, either online or over the phone. Any tips or info would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks so much
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 06:20 AM

12,054 posts, read 21,286,821 times
I rented an apartment in an old Victorian many years ago and loved it. I would suggest that you either pick up the Delaware County Daily Times or look at some local realtors. Kinder and Furman, if still in business, is located on Chester Pike in Norwood. MacDade at 420 has another realtor which I think is C21. Some of the homes will have signs out front or you might see some signs in the shopping district. Something to look for, though, is that the older homes may still have the older furnaces. Not great if you are on the 3rd floor (too cold) or on the first floor (too hot). RP is a very convenient location.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 6,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I rented an apartment in an old Victorian many years ago and loved it. I would suggest that you either pick up the Delaware County Daily Times or look at some local realtors. Kinder and Furman, if still in business, is located on Chester Pike in Norwood. MacDade at 420 has another realtor which I think is C21. Some of the homes will have signs out front or you might see some signs in the shopping district. Something to look for, though, is that the older homes may still have the older furnaces. Not great if you are on the 3rd floor (too cold) or on the first floor (too hot). RP is a very convenient location.
I live in Ridley Township (was brought up in Ridley Park) and love the area. Kinder & Furman, I am pretty sure, is no longer in business (I drive past their old location on my work commute). Century 21 (used to be called Remington & Cochran) is still there and I remember my parents using that firm when they moved from one section of the township to another. They would be a good resource. There is a website for the borough of Ridley Park which might be helpful too. Good luck!

Old 10-07-2009, 07:04 PM

1,826 posts, read 1,642,710 times
Ridley Park is a nice area to live in. Can't lose!

Old 10-30-2009, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,759 times
Does anyone know of any efficiencies in Ridley Park, or a small apartment in an old victorian? My college age daughter is looking for something not expensive, small and nice. Thanks.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,308 times
We are looking to move from Scottsdale, AZ to Philly area. I took a trip back there 2 weeks ago and really liked the feel of Ridley Park. Also considering Media area. Homes are affordable in Ridley but seems to have a lot of pats/rentals. We don't want to spend more that $300k (so we can avoid a mortgage) and don't want to be the "poor" people in an expensive neighborhood. We really are looking for a community-oriented place where people are good, involved neighbors. How is Ridley for kids? Any help with what you think of the schools there would be very appreciated too. I grew up in a little western PA town and like the small-town vibe of Ridley Park. Tired of the snobby, pretentious attitudes of Scottsdale and the climate. My kids do fine here but I don't feel like I fit with the majority of the parents here. Want to get back to my PA roots but want to make a good move for the kids and want good schools while avoiding the highly competitive, pressure-filled "top" schools but still have my kids get a solid, public education.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:53 PM

364 posts, read 642,871 times
Ridley is a good SD. Sends a couple kids to the Ivies each year. Most grads go to Penn State, Temple, IUP and the smaller state schools mainly because they are more affordable for the middle class parents. Good neighborhoods without pretention but there is a fair share of (lower-income) whites, dilapidated homes and structures: it's a blue collar town, not an upscale gated community. Look in Ridley Park, Folsom, or Rutledge and skip the rest. 300k will buy you a very well rennovated, large 60s brick house or a newer 90s construction place.

There's enough wealth here to keep out most of the riff raft encroaching from the towns that border the river and those up MacDade, but watch out for the Ridley Plice, they're notoriously unjust and brutal.

With an income that can sustain a mortgage on 300k you are solidly in the wealthy of Ridley.

Last edited by FindingZen; 08-18-2012 at 09:29 PM..

Old 08-17-2012, 03:09 PM

735 posts, read 1,005,042 times
Ridley and Ridley Park are two different areas. Ridley is a family-oriented township. Some of it is blue collar for sure but most of it is middle class or slightly above. The school district is hands down the best one in the entire "inner-ring" area. Ridley township is sort of like a more mixed version of Springfield in a way

Ridley Park on the other hand was built by a competitor of the Penn Railroad after PRR had built Bryn-Mawr. It's got much more varied architecture, more of a downtown/main street area than Ridley township, which instead has multiple commercial strips, and is much different in general. It's also in the Ridley school district as well, so unlike in a place like Lansdowne, the school district isn't something you need to compromise.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:30 PM

364 posts, read 642,871 times
No doubt Ridley Park is a different entity from Ridley but if you take away the amazing Victorians and the downtown plaza it's not far off from neighboring Folsom. And we Ridleyites usually just consider it one in the same. Speaking of, 300k MIGHT buy you a dilapidated Victorian, but they are oh so wonderful if you don't mind a fixer-upper.

I can't overstress how decent Ridley SD is. It will never be Strath Haven but there are so many resources and talented teaches there that ANY student whom applies him or herself will go far at the high school. One stupid thing to keep in mind is that the tracking system starts in seventh grade, and a smart student needs to flourish by around then to place into the full-blown AP track at the high school level. The AP kids make up a small subgroup of each class year, maybe 40 students, and thy say close-knit throughout HS. That was an awesome thing I loved about Ridley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia