Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:10 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,588,149 times

Advertisements

Mitildap - I am sorry you are not finding the people friendlier. Perhaps, I am looking at this from a center city perspective. I was talking about people who have always lived here and do nothing but complain about the city. They do nothing to improve it, they just whine. I don't believe you find that anywhere else.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:05 PM

319 posts, read 493,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
We live in NYC (Brooklyn) and visited Philly for the first time this weekend. Now my wife wants to check out what living there would be like compared to NYC.
Anyone made this transition? Have opinions??
Talk to me.
Sweet, what part of Brooklyn? I'm in Bensonhurst.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:01 PM

429 posts, read 1,864,533 times
NY might be a melting pot BUT it is NOT a transient area like DC.
The people their take great pride in being New Yorkers and nationalism runs high, the transient comes from NY being the entertainment and financial capital of the world drawing top talent.
It is not a lay down town like DC.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:34 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneBKLYN View Post
Sweet, what part of Brooklyn? I'm in Bensonhurst.
Sorry so long to get back.
Bay Ridge. I was in Manhattan for 6 1/2 years. They sold our building, so we moved to Park Slope. After the first year they raised our rent $100, so we moved out to Bay Ridge and love it.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:41 AM

564 posts, read 1,721,822 times
The suburbs- whew- the people aren't necessarily obnoxious or rude they just have their clicks and its hard to get in the inner circle for outsiders.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:49 AM

564 posts, read 1,721,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The suburbs- whew- the people aren't necessarily obnoxious or rude they just have their clicks and its hard to get in the inner circle for outsiders.
We plan to move to the suburbs from CA (maybe West Chester), and this comment concerns me. Not so much for myself and my husband, but especially for the kids... I do hope that they will be able to make friends. We are originally from Europe, and it is probably harder to fit in given a different background, although we moved to the US 20 yrs ago. I am hoping for the best - any thoughts?

Thank you.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:15 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
moved here from lower manhattan (chelsea) three yrs ago. we live in queen village and like it a lot. more space, less crowded, rarely has traffic that makes you feel like committing suicide. then again, it doesn't have the 24 hour energy & hustle either

philly, on the whole, kinda reminds me of a borough (with the whole neighborhood feel w tons of row homes and a downtown). south street & old city are great. reminds me of a mini- soho/wvillage but quaint. there's history literally on ever corner. plenty of restaurants, bars & hipsters. the philly natives are def a bunch of characters though. don't mess with their eagles ; )

rittenhouse is also good area. north philly (near temple) reminds me of harlem. northern liberties is another hipster haven these days with emerging artists. i don't make my way as often as i should. all in all, i can't complain. more space, less hassle.

parts of the city feels a little dangerous though (mainly outskirts of center city, but not always) . since there are less people to buffer, you notice the seedy element more.

Last edited by john_starks; 05-14-2008 at 04:15 PM..

Old 05-15-2008, 10:19 AM

6 posts, read 25,487 times
I am really surprised to hear people from the Philadelphia area are not friendly. I am relocating to the Philadelphia metro from the Midwest, and when I visited Philadelphia to look at places to live I found the people very friendly.

In fact, based on previous stereotypes of people from the east and northeast, I was very pleasantly surprised by how nice people in the Philadelphia area were.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:31 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,527,639 times
The only unfriendly people I have personally found can be the those in insular neighborhoods in the city who don't like minorities and those of different classes moving in. Bridesburg is a glowing example. I've heard of snobbery from residents of the older parts of the Main Line, especially areas from Wayne on down to the city limits.

But that's about it...the rest of the burbs, and the hipper, bigger, more progressive parts of the city, you will find great people, welcoming neighbors.

Good Luck!

Old 05-15-2008, 11:15 AM

274 posts, read 1,401,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post
We plan to move to the suburbs from CA (maybe West Chester), and this comment concerns me. Not so much for myself and my husband, but especially for the kids... I do hope that they will be able to make friends. We are originally from Europe, and it is probably harder to fit in given a different background, although we moved to the US 20 yrs ago. I am hoping for the best - any thoughts?

Thank you.
Once you move and your children are in school, I think it becomes easier to break into any neighborhood groups or activities. If your kids sign up for sports teams - either through school or your community (or any kind of extracurricular actitivity), that is definitely an easy way to get to meet people. Be a parent volunteer, sign up for the PTA, join a church, etc. - those will be entry points for you & your spouse to meet others.

I don't think you will have problems. just give it time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia