Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 10,148 times

Advertisements

I am going to be moving to Philly in the next couple of months and am having a hard time figuring out where to live. I am torn between center city and suburbs like Ardmore.

I will be moving from NYC where I have lived the last 11 years, so city living would not be new to me. I am going back and forth on whether or not I am 100% ready to give up city life for a more laid back environment. Major concern is whether or not there will be a solid single scene in a neighborhood like Ardmore or anywhere outside of center city. Manayunk doesn't really sound all that appealing to me - I hear that it is a little younger and fraty?

Also would I need to have a car in a place like Ardmore? I will be working in center city. My budget is $1300 on rent or rent and car payment.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 03:17 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,163,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2review View Post
I am going to be moving to Philly in the next couple of months and am having a hard time figuring out where to live. I am torn between center city and suburbs like Ardmore.

I will be moving from NYC where I have lived the last 11 years, so city living would not be new to me. I am going back and forth on whether or not I am 100% ready to give up city life for a more laid back environment. Major concern is whether or not there will be a solid single scene in a neighborhood like Ardmore or anywhere outside of center city. Manayunk doesn't really sound all that appealing to me - I hear that it is a little younger and fraty?

Also would I need to have a car in a place like Ardmore? I will be working in center city. My budget is $1300 on rent or rent and car payment.

Thanks!
$1300 would get you a pretty nice 1B apt in most of Center City. Since you're comfortable and experienced with urban living, you should be fine. Fairmount/Art Museum, Rittenhouse Square and Fitler Square as well as Bella Vista and Pennsport (both in nearby South Philly) are areas that are a bit more sophisticated or laid-back than the popular Northern Liberties/Old City/ South Street axis.

Out in the 'burbs, Ardmore is a convenient enough spot although you might enjoy Wayne a little more. While a train commute would be convenient from both towns, it wouldn't hurt to keep your car.... although a rent/car payment combo might make things a little tight.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:04 PM

253 posts, read 868,743 times
I say rent in Center City, $1300 is plenty for rent and you won't need car, especially since you're working in Center City, so you'll save on expenses.
Good Luck!

Old 10-11-2009, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 10,148 times
Thanks for the info...

What about the single scene in Ardmore or areas outside of center city? Researched the commute and apartments...really looking for advice on where to live as a single person in her 30's. Leaning towards the burbs, but wanted to learn more about if there are opportunities to meet other single people in these areas or if they are just mainly family living.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info...

What about the single scene in Ardmore or areas outside of center city? Researched the commute and apartments...really looking for advice on where to live as a single person in her 30's. Leaning towards the burbs, but wanted to learn more about if there are opportunities to meet other single people in these areas or if they are just mainly family living.
As you surmised, Manayunk might be too young for you. University City might be an alternative to consider; you may be able to rent a condo in a place like Garden Court Plaza, beyond the Penn/Drexel students. You'll find a nice assortment of restaurants and bars. Although it can be fun and/or necessary to visit the 40th Street hub bordering Penn, patronizing businesses west of 43rd will put you among a more mature crowd of Penn faculty/staff, younger families and singles looking for a more laid-back, less costly alternative to Center City.

Out of all the Main Line suburbs along Lancaster Ave. (Rt. 30) both Ardmore and Wayne would have the most to offer socially. Bryn Mawr and Villanova might be skew younger due to their namesake schools.

Honestly, if you want to ensure an active social life as a 30something, the Center City neighborhoods would be ideal.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:26 AM

26 posts, read 93,261 times
2review,
Considering you are in your 30s, coming from NYC and desiring a "solid social scene," I would strongly suggest you live in the city. From your posts, it also sounds like you wouldn't mind some peace and quiet in your day-to-day living (thus considering the burbs). Taking all of this into account, as well as your rental price range, I would suggest the following neighorhoods for you in this order:
1. Queen Village
2. Fairmount
3. Bella Vista
4. Rittenhouse Square
5. Center City West
6. Washington Square
7. Market East/Gayborhood

Good Luck!

Old 10-12-2009, 05:19 PM

Thanks for mentioning Queen Village which I had inexplicably forgotten.
Technically though, Washington Square West is essentially the "gayborhood".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuting North View Post
2review,
Considering you are in your 30s, coming from NYC and desiring a "solid social scene," I would strongly suggest you live in the city. From your posts, it also sounds like you wouldn't mind some peace and quiet in your day-to-day living (thus considering the burbs). Taking all of this into account, as well as your rental price range, I would suggest the following neighorhoods for you in this order:
1. Queen Village
2. Fairmount
3. Bella Vista
4. Rittenhouse Square
5. Center City West
6. Washington Square
7. Market East/Gayborhood

Good Luck!

Old 10-13-2009, 07:44 PM

18 posts, read 53,055 times
I used to live in Ardmore, its a place to raise your family.
There's only one train that goes into the city called the R5 which comes 1x per hour.
Driving into the city may start to feel out the way and annoying.
Thats my 2 cents

Old 10-13-2009, 07:58 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,848,332 times
Quote:

Thanks!
My ex lives in Bensalem. (shruggs ) I dunno If you would like it there or not. But he also works in Center-city.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:07 PM

889 posts, read 2,574,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit View Post
I used to live in Ardmore, its a place to raise your family.
I'll agree here. There are two man demographic groups in Ardmore and all of Lower Merion: Wealthy, affluent mostly middle-aged with a family, (any doubts, take a walk in front of Ruby's restaurant at Suburban Square, right off the R5 train station, on a sunny weekend day, the traffic won't run you over, but the moms with strollers might!). And college kids -- Villanova, St. Joes, mostly but also Bryn Mawr, Harcum, Haverford. Singles scene is pretty much non existent in Lower Merion Twp (unless you're a college kid and hang out at Brownies, the Grog, or Kellys). There is a singles scene in Wayne, I'd say its been evolving (growing) over the past few years there. Demograhics there are the more affluent types, professionals, mostly lawyers from my observations. Friday nights the small downtown bars are crowded and happening.

Manayunk and Conshohocken are mostly post-college aged demographics. If you were a college frat boy/sorority girl type, out of school for a few years, and wanted to hang out and drink beer, or graduated to martinis, this is where to hang out or live.

Quote:
Thanks for the info...

... Leaning towards the burbs, but wanted to learn more about if there are opportunities to meet other single people in these areas or if they are just mainly family living.
I re-read this post. There will be opportinities to meet other people your age in Ardmore and Lower Merion. Not as many in the city, though. There are not really after work/happy hour bars, or anything that would be considered a night spot for the post college crowd. The singles tend to live in the condos and apts nearer the R5 train stations, they mostly commute into the city for their work. Things like taking an evening class (Main Line School Night), exercising, hanging out in a coffee shop, or just talking to your apt neighbors is how you'll meet like minded folks.

Last edited by PeeAye Native; 10-13-2009 at 08:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia