U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-13-2009, 08:44 PM

44 posts, read 67,262 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting my sister in DC for a week in early November, and am thinking about taking the train up to Philly to check it out. I've never been there before, and have been to DC multiple times now so I've seen what there is to see (fun city!). I'm 21, recent college grad (which of course means unemployed) male. I'm planning my visit as a day trip.

I would like to see the main touristy things, but also think it would be cool to check out a couple neighborhoods. I'm originally from Chicago, and I guess the neighborhood's that I like the vibe of here are Bucktown, Wicker Park, Hyde Park, Lakeview, Old Town, River North. I guess that means anything with some young people, a university area, or an area with cool architecture, culture, restaraunts. Obviously I would like to find these things, but with a Philly flair.

Any suggestions for what I should see? A potential itinerary? Where would be a good place to eat? How does transportation work?

Thanks for all your help, and sorry in advance if I'm being too broad in my questions, I'm really not familiar with Philly at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 08:57 PM

18 posts, read 34,448 times
Check out the University City Area University City District, Philadelphia, PA
There are a group of universities neighboring each other with dining, attractions and its close to downtown philly.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:19 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,712,624 times
The answers to all your questions can be found right here in this forum. Just search back a few pages and you will find similer threads.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:16 PM

1,943 posts, read 4,389,040 times
First, before you drop big money on Amtrak check out Bolt Bus, Megabus and the various Chinatown bus companies to get from DC to Philly.

Here's a map I made of where to go. It's not an exhaustive list but these are the main corridors where you'll find most of the shops, monuments, restaurants, etc.
go! - Google Maps

Subways and buses are $2 cash fare . . . or you can just duck down into the first subway station you see and buy a few tokens. They're $1.45 each and work on buses or subways. If you really plan on using it a lot just go to any of the Center City rail stations (30th St, Suburban or Market East) and buy a day pass. I think it's $7. For a good transit map hit up the Barnes & Noble on Rittenhouse Square, go to the map section and buy this - Philadelphia Transit Map - City Side (or just download it)

Old 10-14-2009, 07:35 AM

3,218 posts, read 7,720,024 times
Do you like riding a bike? My two friends went up to Philly for a day trip (from DC) and just rode their bikes everywhere, they loved it. They went to various cheesesteak places (I gave them the names of 3, and yes, they went to all 3...I wouldn't advise that), Reading Terminal, Italian Market, Old City, Center City, and South Philly. University City would also be an easy ride.

And definitely look into one of the bus options. Bolt and Megabus are both nice, with free WiFi. The Chinatown buses also aren't bad. Just do a Google search on "Chinatown bus DC Philadelphia" and you should find it. In DC they pick up in downtown, right by the Gallery Place/Chinatown metro stop.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:18 PM

2,799 posts, read 5,440,605 times
BoltBus and Megabus (unfortunately) do not run Philadelphia-Washington buses. The only buses that run Philly-DC are Chinatown buses and conventional Greyhound buses, and the latter make one or more stops along the way (in Baltimore at a minimum and sometimes in Wilmington). FWIW, both the Chinatown buses and Greyhound buses stop in Philadelphia near 11th and Filbert, which is near the Reading Terminal Market, definitely a place worth checking during your visit.

My recommendations on neighborhoods would be University City on Penn's campus, Rittenhouse Square, and Society Hill/Old City/Washington Square. The last of those listed is near Independence Mall and the U.S. Mint.

EDIT: BTW, SEPTA's Convenience Pass is a one day pass that allows you to take 8 rides on the subways, light rail lines, or buses, while their Independence Pass is a one day pass that allows you to take unlimited rides on the subways, light rail lines, buses, and regional/commuter rail lines. The Convenience Pass is (I think) $6 and the Independence Pass is $10.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:55 PM

15 posts, read 18,822 times
Old City and South Street are good for a day trip. Giggling in Condom Kingdom is always fun....and I live here!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia