U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-09-2009, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Columbus,Ohio
925 posts, read 2,091,451 times
Reputation: 389

Advertisements

Does anyone remember the name of that old hotel that was located at the northwest corner of 12th and Market Sts across the the street from the old Reading Terminal ? It was on the same block as the old Kelly's restaurant where for many decades a free card reading was included with your meal. My grandmother ( she passed away in 1991 just a few months shy of her 90th birthday) and her sister ( who died in the late 90s at age 103 ) would often go there for the delicious meals and free card readings when they were younger women. That hotel was located in a a very beautiful old building but unfortunately in it's latter years it declined to just one step above a flophouse. In the 1980s- 1990s that entire block along 12th St. was torn down to make way for the Convention Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-09-2009, 01:02 PM
 
7,960 posts, read 8,438,902 times
Reputation: 9330
I have no idea, but you can see the corner of it in this old photo.

http://www.brynmawr.edu/iconog/king/k5a.jpg

I saw that same pic here.

Philadelphia Architecture from 1700-1940 - Page 2 - SkyscraperPage Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 06:13 PM
 
55 posts, read 106,263 times
Reputation: 59
It was the Hotel Vendig, according to an old photo. I remember getting my fortune told after dinner at Kelly's. She was right about everything she said, and none of them were generalizations. odd but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Columbus,Ohio
925 posts, read 2,091,451 times
Reputation: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I have no idea, but you can see the corner of it in this old photo.

http://www.brynmawr.edu/iconog/king/k5a.jpg

I saw that same pic here.

Philadelphia Architecture from 1700-1940 - Page 2 - SkyscraperPage Forum
That was a very beautiful building back in the day . I wish somehow they could have saved it and made it into a trendy bed and breakfast in spite of the Convention Center and kept the old Kelly's restaurant going with it's free card readings even if it had to be relocated to another old school historic building in Downtown Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2009, 12:16 AM
 
Location: Philly
8,905 posts, read 7,867,133 times
Reputation: 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
That was a very beautiful building back in the day . I wish somehow they could have saved it and made it into a trendy bed and breakfast in spite of the Convention Center and kept the old Kelly's restaurant going with it's free card readings even if it had to be relocated to another old school historic building in Downtown Philadelphia.
sadly, that's not how the city does things. certainly it could have happened. Market east is a disaster. they spent countless millions in public money but it's the same as it ever was less grand old buildings from vendig to gimbel's. they never got it, the city lacks people wanting to live or set up companies, not big wasteful public projects
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2009, 09:20 AM
 
7,960 posts, read 8,438,902 times
Reputation: 9330
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunata View Post
It was the Hotel Vendig, according to an old photo. I remember getting my fortune told after dinner at Kelly's. She was right about everything she said, and none of them were generalizations. odd but true.
Thanks for dropping by with the answer. Kelly's was the name of the restaurant in the hotel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2009, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Columbus,Ohio
925 posts, read 2,091,451 times
Reputation: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
sadly, that's not how the city does things. certainly it could have happened. Market east is a disaster. they spent countless millions in public money but it's the same as it ever was less grand old buildings from vendig to gimbel's. they never got it, the city lacks people wanting to live or set up companies, not big wasteful public projects
Sad, very sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2009, 05:13 PM
 
55 posts, read 106,263 times
Reputation: 59
Quote:
Thanks for dropping by with the answer. Kelly's was the name of the restaurant in the hotel?
I believe Kelly's was next door on 12th. I left Philly back in 74. I've been back on occassion, and have to say the city center become an alien place to me, kind of barren looking where I remember crowds of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2009, 10:38 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,542 times
Reputation: 21
Smile N 12th & Market St

Please go to phillyhistory.org and search for photographs; enter address
exactly as N 12th & Market St On the second through fifth pages are
photos showing Vendig in 1911, Terminal in 1950, and photos from 1959-60 with "Terminal" removed and a new name above the canopy on 12th St. which I magnified and sharpened, but still couldn't read. It looks like it ends with -dale and maybe -endale, making me suspect that owners used the old Vendig sign, and called it Vendale. I think I remember it was Vendale.
Thanks to all, as I worked at Kelly's when I was in college at St. Joe's(70-72) I washed dishes, opened oysters, and kept the bar supplied with ice, wine and other things fom the ancient basement storerooms.Along with my free employee meal every night, I got a free card reading upstairs. I thought the lady was crazy when she said the Phillies would someday win the World Series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2009, 06:17 AM
 
7,960 posts, read 8,438,902 times
Reputation: 9330
Thanks for the link! There are a lot of photos on that site; I'm going to be busy today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:04 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top