U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 09:09 AM

144 posts, read 427,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
From what i'm been reading it seems that there are major job centers in the suburbs. Like King of prussia/ west chester ,horsham and other areas. Of course center city is a job center. but the suburbs seems like they are growing and can hold their own. seems like more job centers are in NW side of the city.
For the medical fields, if you're looking at hospitals, most of those are in Center City (what the rest of the world calls downtown), with a few notable exceptions. Abington has a great hospital that does very well on the teaching end. Its also 15 minutes from 19111.

As for the commute into Center City, it depends on how you want to get down there. There are trains that can get you into town in 25 minutes or so or depending upon how far you are from either the Boulevard or I-95 you can get there in 30-40 minutes (anyone who wants to argue with me can ride with me from 19111 down past Center City into Gray's Ferry some morning).

You're generally correct in that the NE and NW parts of the city are the nicest, but generally the NW areas; especially those of East Falls, Chestnut Hill, and a good deal of Mt. Airy, are more expensive than those in the NE.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 09:53 AM

640 posts, read 1,147,481 times
Yeah I'm starting to see the NW side of town is nicer and more expensive. So the next best thing is the NE which isnt as nice but less expensive also!!

Jobwise im leaning toward not working in center city. I like the mainlinehealthsystem suggestion from hilster. and abington memorial seems like a really good place to work. there seems to be many more healthcare systems like mercy and aria health. So i really dont need to be Downtown to get a job.

Homes i've narrowed my search from huntington valley/willow grove ,horsham jenkintown/abington to foxchase basically along old york rd/Rt 611. Hilster i like haverford but i didnt see homes below 300,000 i saw main line prices for anything decent. but haverford is a very nice area

so what the nice areas in the Ne section of town? any good hospitals over there? Lower montgomery county seems nice also?

Last edited by Aimewitue; 11-22-2009 at 10:09 AM..

Old 11-22-2009, 10:00 AM

8,153 posts, read 18,766,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
Yeah I'm starting to see the NW side of town is nicer and more expensive. So the next best thing is the NE which isnt as nice but less expensive also!!

Jobwise im leaning toward not working in center city. I like the mainlinehealthsystem suggestion from hilster. and abington memorial seems like a really good place to work. there seems to be many more healthcare systems like mercy and aria health. So i really dont need to be Downtown to get a job.

Homes i've narrowed my search from huntington valley/willow grove ,horsham jenkintown/abington to foxchase basically along old york rd/Rt 611. Hilster i like haverford but i didnt see homes below 300,000 i saw main line prices for anything decent. but haverford is a very nice area

Anything in south Philly okay?
Regarding Abington, most anything west of Rt. 611 will be less expensive than east of it. It's one of many solid, older bedroom communities north of the city. 611/Old York Road is a major retail corridor - and Rt. 63 (Easton Road/York Rd) to some extent - but one block off those streets and it's pretty quiet. No true town center in Abington but they "borrow" from Jenkintown's quaint downtown. I've been to Abington Memorial a few times and never had any complaints. Good luck applying there!

Old 11-22-2009, 10:58 AM

How are the abington school districts?

Old 11-22-2009, 06:04 PM

They're good.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:55 PM

8,153 posts, read 18,766,697 times
Abington School District is fine. Someone mentioned not to long ago that the district received some "Blue Ribbon" awards for excellence. There are other school districts that many on this forum will tout as "the best" but unless getting your kids admitted into Harvard, MIT or Bryn Mawr is top priority, you'll be satisfied with the education they recieve in Abington schools.

FWIW, around the time I graduated, albeit a decade (or two) ago, more than a few of my classmates were admitted to Ivy League and other top competitive schools.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:18 AM

396 posts, read 814,493 times
My husband and I are also youngish (late 20s/early 30s) professionals with a yorkie! I lived in NE Philly (19152) for 22 years, moved to Florida for a few years, and then came back. I am now trying to buy a house and it is so discouraging. The housing in Florida is so much newer, more spacious, and affordable. I understand that there is lower cost of living down there but imo the pay increases around here do not make up for it. I am looking to buy in Montgomery County suburbs and we can afford absolutely nothing. Even houses that are $250k and up are out dated and need renovations. I lived in NE Philly growing up and would not move back there again. It feels like an isolated part of the city and the crime rate is going up. Our house was broken into, our cars stolen, and lots of "scary" experiences. And this was 10 years ago. Although you can get a house with a yard and still find decent neighborhoods, it is just not worth it to me. Again, these are just my opinions. I wish I could be of more help as I am looking for the same things and not finding it. Lots of luck!!

Old 11-30-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeni View Post
My husband and I are also youngish (late 20s/early 30s) professionals with a yorkie! I lived in NE Philly (19152) for 22 years, moved to Florida for a few years, and then came back. I am now trying to buy a house and it is so discouraging. The housing in Florida is so much newer, more spacious, and affordable. I understand that there is lower cost of living down there but imo the pay increases around here do not make up for it. I am looking to buy in Montgomery County suburbs and we can afford absolutely nothing. Even houses that are $250k and up are out dated and need renovations. I lived in NE Philly growing up and would not move back there again. It feels like an isolated part of the city and the crime rate is going up. Our house was broken into, our cars stolen, and lots of "scary" experiences. And this was 10 years ago. Although you can get a house with a yard and still find decent neighborhoods, it is just not worth it to me. Again, these are just my opinions. I wish I could be of more help as I am looking for the same things and not finding it. Lots of luck!!
Yeah thanks for your input!! Yeah my search has lead me to to Northwest Philly not really the Northeast.Northeast crime is scary from what i heard. i visited there and i felt safe. But i could see where some people would have a problem. And i had to adjust to housing bring Older and not as spacious like Florida or anywhere in the southeast. My desire for newer housing with more space hasnt gone away. I just have to find it in Philly and i will i hope LOL!!!

where are you looking?
what sites are you using. I've been using trulia to search real estate in Northwest philly zip codes.

I also have extend my search further out like to king of prussia area.

good luck to us!!

Old 12-01-2009, 09:24 AM

You're looking in one of the oldest cities in America that has no room to grow for "new housing stock"! Really? I'm going to come across snarky now. You're looking for something you're not going to find in your price range, especially out in the suburbs. I'm not sure how many people you've talked to who live in the NE but I'd love to meet them so they can explain this scary crime that seems to have infested the NE.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkosiek View Post
You're looking in one of the oldest cities in America that has no room to grow for "new housing stock"! Really? I'm going to come across snarky now. You're looking for something you're not going to find in your price range, especially out in the suburbs. I'm not sure how many people you've talked to who live in the NE but I'd love to meet them so they can explain this scary crime that seems to have infested the NE.
I Agree with you Ne crime rate is overblown. My sister in law lives there and i visited several times and didnt see the big deal.

as for housing stock you are right finding what we want will be a challenged. but it doesnt have to be a new house. just a house we like!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia