U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-09-2009, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,203 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are apartment hunting in the Philly suburbs. We are both very adamant on living in the suburbs, not in the city, especially since we have two vehicles. We are in our mid-twenties, with no kids.

We are hoping to spend approximately $800 to $900 per month on rent AND utilities, but I can only seem to find apartments in which rent alone costs that much. Is our budget unrealistic for the area? Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 04:53 PM

119 posts, read 235,456 times
For most of the suburbs that amount of $ will be borderline impossible to find rent AND utilities. I recently moved out of a 2 bd, 1 bath, 3rd floor walk-up in Bala Cynwyd and that was $1200 which did not include cable or elec.

The suburbs are tough because many of the school districts are top notch, and the rental rates reflect it. It may not be impossible to find rentals and utilities for that price, but its going to be close to impossible. Do you have a specific area where you need to travel for work/school?

Old 12-10-2009, 05:41 AM

211 posts, read 334,777 times
I live in the New Jersey suburbs of Philadelphia and around here you should be able to find a 1 bedroom apartment in that range. Check out Collingswood/Haddon Township/Oaklyn on South Jersey Craig's List. All these areas will put you close to PATCO and the Philadelphia/NJ bridges as well as having parking.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:37 PM

670 posts, read 846,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Threads View Post
I live in the New Jersey suburbs of Philadelphia and around here you should be able to find a 1 bedroom apartment in that range. Check out Collingswood/Haddon Township/Oaklyn on South Jersey Craig's List. All these areas will put you close to PATCO and the Philadelphia/NJ bridges as well as having parking.
True but u will also be living in the armpit of the country. Stay in PA its much nicer.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:11 AM

7,788 posts, read 12,026,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillrunner View Post
True but u will also be living in the armpit of the country. Stay in PA its much nicer.
Hey now, let's not hate on South Jersey. Camden and Atlantic City's continuing challenges notwithstanding, the Jersey 'burbs does have its charming areas, some of which have already been mentioned. There are certainly a number of enthusiastic Jersey residents on this board.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:49 AM

1,943 posts, read 4,393,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillrunner View Post
Having moved to PA from South Jersey quite a few years ago (and being from neither place) i beg to differ.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:29 AM

119 posts, read 235,456 times
I would strongly disagree with Hillrunner as well. People who tend to categorize NJ as the armpit of the nation have rarely actually lived in the state. Having lived in both PA and NJ they have their trade-offs. But don't be shy about looking on both sides of the Delaware because most of the communities along the PATCO and NJ transit lines feeding into Philly are great places to live.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:40 AM

12,519 posts, read 12,732,446 times
Collingswood and Haddon Heights = armpit? I think not. Apparently Hillrunner is feeding off of second-hand knowledge and has never visited. Check out the area, it fulfills much of the OPs criteria.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:13 PM

1,943 posts, read 4,393,535 times
having re-read the OP . . . you should probably look in Oaklyn/Bellmawr/Gloucester City. The prices are more in line with what you're looking for. Also, maybe in Delaware County along Baltimore Pike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia