U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 12-10-2009, 02:41 PM
 
19 posts, read 33,030 times
Reputation: 22
Default Good part of town/ bad part of town

After reading the posts, I would say that Philadelphia is a city of patchwork neighborhoods with no defined good or bad side of towns. But is there a section of the city that has more crime than others? For example, does southeast Philly have more crime that North Philly, etc? I will probably be attending grad school next fall, and would like to know what some of my future neighbors think about the sections of the cities and how safe they are. Please feel free to mention neighborhoods as well. I would apreciate any constructive views on the city.

Also, I'm coming to spend a week in Philly in Feburary (yeah, I know winter in Philly,) so If there are any neighborhoods I should check out or leave alone feel free to mention. I'm a 36 year old black male who will be going to Lasalle which I believe is in the northside of the city.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2009, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Expatriate Philadelphian in Northern Virginia
7,720 posts, read 11,599,933 times
Reputation: 2205
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinaguy321 View Post
After reading the posts, I would say that Philadelphia is a city of patchwork neighborhoods with no defined good or bad side of towns. But is there a section of the city that has more crime than others? For example, does southeast Philly have more crime that North Philly, etc? I will probably be attending grad school next fall, and would like to know what some of my future neighbors think about the sections of the cities and how safe they are. Please feel free to mention neighborhoods as well. I would apreciate any constructive views on the city.

Also, I'm coming to spend a week in Philly in Feburary (yeah, I know winter in Philly,) so If there are any neighborhoods I should check out or leave alone feel free to mention. I'm a 36 year old black male who will be going to Lasalle which I believe is in the northside of the city.

Thanks.
Geographically speaking, Philly is divided by N, NW, NE, S and SW as well as Center City (aka downtown). There is no SE.

North and West Philly have the most consistent challenged neighborhoods although there are some positive exceptions. Other sections of town have their rougher spots as well.

The area surrounding LaSalle isn't necessarily the most desired but there are worse. It depends on what you've experienced. I'd contact the school to find out about housing options for grad students.

What is your budget? Would you prefer convenient nightlife/culture? Or a quiet area?
__________________
Reading the Terms of Service once a day keeps the "Mods" at bay.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2009, 06:18 AM
 
12,158 posts, read 11,847,410 times
Reputation: 8530
If you want proximity to LaSalle, a good area to check out is to the west of campus....west of Germantown Avenue, north of West Chelten Avenue and east of the Wissahickon Valley Park area. There are several nice apartment complexes with parking and secure entry. This area is the West Mount Airy neighborhood.

Google Maps
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2009, 09:11 AM
 
19 posts, read 33,030 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Geographically speaking, Philly is divided by N, NW, NE, S and SW as well as Center City (aka downtown). There is no SE.

North and West Philly have the most consistent challenged neighborhoods although there are some positive exceptions. Other sections of town have their rougher spots as well.

The area surrounding LaSalle isn't necessarily the most desired but there are worse. It depends on what you've experienced. I'd contact the school to find out about housing options for grad students.

What is your budget? Would you prefer convenient nightlife/culture? Or a quiet area?
I've lived in some shady neighborhoods here in Charlotte, so I can deal with some "grit". I will be going to school full time so I will be surviving on financial aid, and working part time, so I will venture a guess of around 30K, more or less, the two years I plan to live there. If I don't get housing on campus, I will need to find a roommate I'm sure.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2009, 09:37 AM
 
Location: South Philly
1,943 posts, read 4,279,103 times
Reputation: 584
Each section of the city: North, West, Northeast, etc has its bad neighborhoods. The only real exception to this is Center City. And, of course, the bad neighborhoods in North Philly are much worse than the bad neighborhoods in Northwest.

La Salle is reasonably close (4 blocks) to the Broad St. Subway so, living anywhere near Broad St. between Spring Garden and Snyder (Center City/South Philly) will find you a range of rental prices in decent to excellent neighborhoods.

The 18 bus runs 24/7. every 15 minutes mid-day and every 5 minutes during rush-hour. It will take you from Mt. Airy right to the front door of LaSalle in ~15 minutes. Keep in mind that most of the action in Mt. Airy (pubs, restaurants, etc) are on Germantown Ave between Mt. Airy Ave. and Mt. Pleasant Ave.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 09:17 AM
 
19 posts, read 33,030 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
Each section of the city: North, West, Northeast, etc has its bad neighborhoods. The only real exception to this is Center City. And, of course, the bad neighborhoods in North Philly are much worse than the bad neighborhoods in Northwest.

La Salle is reasonably close (4 blocks) to the Broad St. Subway so, living anywhere near Broad St. between Spring Garden and Snyder (Center City/South Philly) will find you a range of rental prices in decent to excellent neighborhoods.

The 18 bus runs 24/7. every 15 minutes mid-day and every 5 minutes during rush-hour. It will take you from Mt. Airy right to the front door of LaSalle in ~15 minutes. Keep in mind that most of the action in Mt. Airy (pubs, restaurants, etc) are on Germantown Ave between Mt. Airy Ave. and Mt. Pleasant Ave.
This is great info. Thanks so much.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top