Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2009, 09:56 AM

234 posts, read 535,948 times

Advertisements

Here's our situation. Our lease is up on our current house in February (4br/2.5ba w/ 2-car attached garage - 2600sqft). My husband has become disenchanted with New Jersey and wants out. He works from home 60% of the time and the other 40% he travels. So he wants to be no more than an hour from the Philadelphia airport. I currently work in mid-town Manhattan but I'm thinking it's time for a change of venue. I may be able to transfer my role to Princeton, but I'm not certain yet. Otherwise, I will just look for gigs in and around Philly. One thing that's really important is since my husband travels and I will be pretty much alone during those times - we want somewhere safe.
So far, I have looked at Bryn Mawr, Newtown, Yardley, Collegeville, Royersford, Langhorne, etc...

When are you moving? End of February 2010
Where are you coming from? New Jersey
Why are you moving? Husband hates New Jersey and wants to try PA
Where will you be working? Not sure yet - bucks county - Maybe King of Prussia area.
Have you been here yet? No

Will you buy or rent? Rent for 1 year, then buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House. Would prefer not to go over $500,000
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? House to rent with a pool for the summer
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Are you married or single? Do you have children? We are DINKs (Dual Income No Kids) and we don't want children.
Do you prefer public or private schools?
Do you have pets? A Saint Bernard and two cats
Do you want or need a yard? Yes
Are you keeping a car? Yes two cars plus scooter
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? We prefer quiet at home but to walk a bit to a decent town center with shopping, restaurants and pubs

What do you want to be closest to?
Work - definitely work for me
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Coke or Pepsi? Diet Coke

Any advice would be most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 11:41 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,752,755 times
Many of your choices would seem to be way too far from Princeton if that is actually where you will end up. King of Prussia? Bryn Mawr? i would restrict myself to Bucks County, invest in an Atlas of metro Philadelphia available in bookstores and start exploring every weekend. Maybe your husband can steal a day while you are at work to go look as well. How did you feel about Newtown, Yardley? Try further north towards Upper Makefield and Buckingham. Middletown Township to the south also has many nice areas closer to Langhorn and Rt 1 and the Neshaminy Mall.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:19 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,072,540 times
Doylestown is a great town in Bucks. It's somewhat secluded but is surrounded by residential suburbia with your standard strip mall suburban sprawl about 8-9 miles south. It's pricey, but if you're coming from Central or North Jersey it probably won't seem so bad to you. It's about 10-15 minutes from the 202 bridge between New Hope, PA and Lambertville, NJ. I'm not sure exactly but it's not unreasonable to think of someone living in D-Town and working in Princeton. Some in D-Town work in Philadelphia but be aware that it's a relatively long train ride on the R5 from that far out.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the advice. I have to admit, I am so sick of commuting via train - I'd much rather drive now.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:42 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,405,311 times
KOP wouldnt be bad for you, working in Princeton, since the two turnpikes meet. Large distance, yes, but straight fast roads where you could go 85 the whole way. The suburbs of Norristown (W,E, Norriton have some great, affordable houses too.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:49 PM

26,974 posts, read 43,502,112 times
If New Jersey is a problem I'm not sure how a short jump over the Delaware River into Bucks County is going to instantly change everything. It's really not that different. Is there a bigger issue at work here?

Old 12-19-2009, 10:15 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,030,185 times
I would definitely look in Yardley. I currently work in Princeton and have many coworkers who live in Yardley. About a 20 minute commute. I am actually looking to move their from NJ now .

Old 01-01-2010, 08:25 AM

Ok, so we have decided to buy. We are looking at homes in Yardley and Langhorne.

We are going to look at a home near Poplar and Hulmeville in Langhorne near Buckhill Farms and near Big Oak rd and Gilbert rd in Yardley tomorrow.

My husband likes the first and I like the second. So we will see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia