Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 11:50 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I tell people don't go west of 40th st, south of Spruce (except for HUP) or north of Market.
44th & Baltimore is far nicer than 39th & Market. You have your geography mixed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 01:07 AM

4 posts, read 28,759 times
Thank you all for your advise, so you all recommend Rittenhouse Square area as its the best area in city center ? please name some apartments for me. or i can also go penn-off campus ( Is it the official campus for upenn ) and can you a webstie link for both.

I agree with that, eveyone according to his experiance and where he lived before he will judge about the safety. but for me I just need these information to keep it in my mind becasue i will be staying for a long time. thats why i want to know where are the really dangerous area that i shouldnt even walk there or go by car

Old 01-17-2010, 09:00 AM

180 posts, read 700,539 times
Off-campus living is now called Off-Campus Services: http://www.business-services.upenn.edu/offcampusservices/ . This would be an easy search from the Penn website. You can also search for housing from there. I would pay a visit to the office in person as well.

Have you visited the city yet? The best way to see what areas you would feel comfortable or uncomfortable in is to see it for yourself. Day and night--most importantly, at night. As a general rule, most of Center City is safe, definitely during the day. At late night you may want to avoid the Market St. corridor. In University City, the campuses are safe, as is Powelton Village south of Spring Garden Street, then from the Penn Campus southwest out to about 45th or 46th and Baltimore. Out to about 50th and Baltimore is my limit on foot in West Philadelphia. One good thing about these areas is if you find yourself walking and not comfortable, taxis are pretty easy to get if you want to leave.

If you identify some apartments that interest you, we can tell you more about the safety of the area. It sounds like you will want something within walking distance or that has easy transportation. I would not rule out a place like Domus (in spite of what I said earlier) if you can afford the $2300 starting rent for a 1-bedroom if location is your priority, but better values can be found at places like 2400 Chestnut, Riverwest Condos, 1835 Arch, Rittenhouse Claridge, and various apartments in brownstone homes along Spruce, Locust, Pine, Lombard, and South Streets west of 15th. You would want to look west of 20th St. if you want to be close to campus if you choose something in Center City.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:53 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
www.4wallsinphilly.com
www.apartmentguide.com Use the zip codes below)
www.realtor.com using the "rent" option and zip 19103 19102 19106 19107

Old 01-19-2010, 08:50 AM

15 posts, read 49,730 times
I lived in 2400 Chestnut for several years as a graduate student. Basic apartments and relatively affordable for the area. The shuttle van into university city is great for getting to school on cold or rainy mornings. Not sure what kind of student you are, but I believe they don't rent out to undergraduates. Also, if you look at the building & like it, try to get an apartment on the city side (not the river side): you get noise from passing trains on the river side. Safe area, close to lots of stuff to do, the river walk is great for biking in the spring/summer. I really liked living there.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:03 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
44th & Baltimore is far nicer than 39th & Market. You have your geography mixed up.
Yes I noticed that you actually recomended Clark Park to someone LOL

Old 01-21-2010, 01:14 PM

4 posts, read 28,759 times
thanks you all for your help ,,, please tell more about philly and if u still have more information plesae tell me becasue i really need it , i will really appreciate your help again

Old 01-21-2010, 06:41 PM

180 posts, read 700,539 times
Well, what specifically do you want to know? This board is a very good source of telling you more about Philly from the people who live and work here and in the nearby area. Are you going to be able to visit before you start at Penn? Have you visited already--not including the campuses? I visited here three times after accepting my job before I moved here to stay, but I had the good luck of being reasonably close, an hour's plane trip away. If you cannot visit, I would allow some time before starting your work/school to get a feel for the area around where you live and the campuses. If you know the people you are going to be working with, talk to them ahead of time as well for their perceptions of Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia