Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 06:22 PM

118 posts, read 280,416 times

Advertisements

Do they have patios or a little patch of back yard? Are there double walls between neighors, how is the sound insulation? Is each person responsible for the roof on his own house, or are there any common payments to take care of roofing etc? Do many of them have basements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 07:48 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
I owned a rowhouse in the burbs that had a covered front porch and a small, fenced back yard (about 20 feet deep) which you reached via stairs from the kitchen. Noise was a problem occasionally, mainly when the neighbors were yelling at each other or at the kids. We were responsible for our own roofs, but when it was time to apply sealer, several of us shared the labor and use of a ladder and we did a few at once. I had what would probably be considered a semi-finished basement, but it was really only good for housing the furnace, storage items, the laundry facilities, and a bonus urinal and sink.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:55 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,584,643 times
The majority of rowhouses have a postage stamp yard mostly in concrete especially in the older very dense areas but in some of the outlying areas such as Roxborough, Germantown , Mt. Airy, Northwood, Overbrook, Tacony etc. many of them do have decent backyards.. Most of them have brick wall between them but in many of the real old, smaller rowhomes you could hear your neighbor next door. As far as having a basement is concerned , most of them do. Sorry, I am not able to tell you about the roofing situation because when I lived in Philly , I rented and never owned a rowhouse.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:51 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucillle View Post
Do they have patios or a little patch of back yard?
Yes. How big of a patch just depends on where you live. I park my scooter in my backyard, store my trash and recycling back there, have two bicycles parked back there, a rain barrel, a lot of plants and it's still big enough for a small table and chairs and my grill.

Some friends of mine had a house a few blocks away who had all that same stuff plus room for a ping-pong table.

Friends in West Philly have a deck off the back of their house that is about the size of my backyard then beyond that they have a lawn that's big enough for a hammock, a grill, a pretty big trampoline and a storage shed . . . but they're in a twin, not a row.

Quote:
Are there double walls between neighors, how is the sound insulation?
I don't know what you mean by "double walls" but in older rows there are two layers of brick. Brick, like most masonry, isn't a very good insulator. After 100 or so years you also wind up with a lot of voids. Right now I can hear my neighbor's dog barking. That's partly because it's really quiet in my house right now. Until they moved in a few months ago I rarely heard anything coming from over there. You have to be pretty loud, and on a consistent basis, to annoy your neighbors. My solution to my annoying neighbors is two-fold. I'm insulating my party wall and i'm buying that house. The people there now are renting.

Quote:
Is each person responsible for the roof on his own house, or are there any common payments to take care of roofing etc?
A rowhome isn't a condo. The ownership is fee-simple. There is no association so there are no association fees. It's all yours inside and out. When something goes wrong - you pay for it.

I've never been in a rowhouse w/o a basement but I know they exist. Most of them have been built in the last 25 years or so.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:49 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
we had a row in the NE. You could hear your neighbor cough.. We hated it and moved to a single..

Old 01-19-2010, 11:46 AM

117 posts, read 588,530 times
I grew up in a rowhouse in Parkwood, NE Philly. We had a very nice sized backyard, probably 20x60, and while you could hear some noises next door, unless they were blasting music, the noise level was never uncomfortable. Usually, if something needs to be fixed that also concerns a next door neighbor, like porch repair, both my parents and the neighbor will split the cost, but there's no law that says you have to.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:55 PM

388 posts, read 1,094,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucillle View Post
Do they have patios or a little patch of back yard? Are there double walls between neighors, how is the sound insulation? Is each person responsible for the roof on his own house, or are there any common payments to take care of roofing etc? Do many of them have basements?

] Some have backyards that you can't see because they are enclosed by the entire block. The yards are a typical postage stamp but large enough to let a dog out or a small garden.

Some of the houses are more sound proof than others. You can always add a layer if you need it.

The roofing is an issue. A typical rowhome each owner is responsible for his own home. That can be a problem if you have a problem neighbor. My grandparents had a house with a neighbor whose roof was leaking into their unit. The neighbor did not want to fix his roof. In a condo association the rules are different. The association can take care of maintenance and then sue owners for the bills.

Most of the rowhomes I have been in have basements.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:30 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekish View Post
My grandparents had a house with a neighbor whose roof was leaking into their unit. The neighbor did not want to fix his roof.
The slumlord who currently owns the joint next to me hasn't been up on his roof in 20 years. Last time I had the roofers at my place I had them take care of any problems a few feet over onto his side. His roof slopes away from my house so as I long I keep the water away from our party wall it's all good on this side.

That's the thing, a low-slope roof is really cheap to take care of when you compare it to the typical pitched, shingled roof of the suburbs. As long as you have regular maintenance done (every 2-3 years) it should last you for 30 years.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:39 PM

149 posts, read 445,263 times
Default The Philadelphia Rowhouse Guide

http://www.philaplanning.org/pubinfo/rowhousemanual.pdf (broken link)

A great resource for all things row house.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:02 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Goo View Post
http://www.philaplanning.org/pubinfo/rowhousemanual.pdf (broken link)

A great resource for all things row house.

excellent find goo!!!!! great reading
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia