U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 07:14 PM

15 posts, read 41,539 times

Advertisements

I am a 30-year-old remarried mother living in Philadelphia. We planned on relocating out of state, but my daughter's absentee father suddenly jumped back into the picture to object. It is now mandated that we stay within 100 miles of Philadelphia for the next 12 years.

So now we might as well find a good place to settle. We are looking for for a hip, multi-cultural, artsy, "young", tolerant, progressive area to reside. Somewhere family-friendly but not riddled with mini-vans, and nowhere where the lights go out at 8 pm. Absolutley no suburban sprawl McMansion developments, snotty main-line attitudes, or anything way out in the boonies.

I like to be able to get around by foot or bike, at least to some destinations. I don't want to have to drive to the nearest store. Okay, so yeah, I like Philly. However, I'm not so into the school district. I need a town or area with a good public school. I'm not so worried about home prices, we can swing it. I'd prefer a mixed-income, diverse area. Good restaurants and cultural events are important to us. Is there anything out there?

Basically, I'm looking for a suburban equivalent to say, Northern Liberties. I'm thinking about something like Collingswood, Mt Airy (yes, I know it isn't a suburb, just hoping it has a secretly wonderful school option), or New Hope. What are the schools like in these areas? Ideally, I'd like something with easy city access but that can stand on it's own. Laid-back and friendly but not sleepy. Someone suggested Phoenixville or West Chester but they seem so far. In general, I'm not into the Western Suburbs. Please prove me wrong. How about Wilmington? It must be urban, but I never hear anything about it. Btw, I have work options in Philadelphia and Trenton.

Yes, we are a family and the kid comes first, but I am not ready to put on a turtle neck and start shopping at strip malls. Help me find happy medium, please!

P.S. Are there any shore towns that actually thrive all year? Nope, didn't think so.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 07:52 PM

7,780 posts, read 20,147,748 times
look into hatboro, Newtown, Moorestown NJ

Old 01-20-2010, 08:11 PM

689 posts, read 2,193,419 times
In NJ - Collingswood
In PA - Downtown Newtown, Downtown Doylestown (although things do close very early) and DEFINITELY New Hope! (new hope = northern libs in suburbs)

I think if I had to pick I would say New Hope or Collingswood would be best for you.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:31 PM

244 posts, read 693,036 times
I suggest the Hatboro Horsham area

Old 01-20-2010, 09:34 PM

I guess my dream location would have the accessibilty to Philly of Collingswood, the community of Mt. Airy, and the school district of Newtown. Since this is only a dream, lets add an ocean and a cliff.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byoak View Post
I suggest the Hatboro Horsham area
I heard that Hatboro has a nice "main street" town feel. I've been to Horsham and it seemed like white bread suburbia to me, which is fine; lots of people are into that, just not me. Was I missing something?

Old 01-20-2010, 09:43 PM

Does anyone know the reputation of Collingswood schools? They seem to be their own district. I didn't realize it was that large of an area. What other little gems are hidden in NJ? I've never considered living in NJ before recently.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:09 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,537,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhWhereToGo? View Post
P.S. Are there any shore towns that actually thrive all year? Nope, didn't think so.
Pretty much everything between Point Pleasant and Red Bank . . . and all within 90 miles of Philadelphia.

Belmar to Trenton is a pretty reliable 45 minutes. Belmar to CC is more like 75 minutes.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:28 AM

7,780 posts, read 20,147,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhWhereToGo? View Post
Does anyone know the reputation of Collingswood schools? They seem to be their own district. I didn't realize it was that large of an area. What other little gems are hidden in NJ? I've never considered living in NJ before recently.

I told ya alrwady. Moorestown NJ. way better schools then Collingswood too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moorest...ip,_New_Jersey

http://www.moorestown.com/community/

Old 01-21-2010, 05:54 AM

23,798 posts, read 36,377,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I told ya alrwady. Moorestown NJ. way better schools then Collingswood too

Moorestown Township, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

moorestown.com
You must have missed the part about overall walkability/bikeability and lights NOT going out at 8pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia