U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 01:58 PM

436 posts, read 613,956 times
Default What neighborhoods to avoid?

I am considering moving to Philadelphia. What are the economically depressed neighborhoods that are ridden with crime, street gangs? I want to make sure I'm far away from any of those.

Is there anyone who can give me the lowdown on the demographics (median income, ethnic makeup, etc) of Philly neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 02:16 PM

6,972 posts, read 11,706,049 times
5th & Christian

Old 01-21-2010, 02:24 PM

253 posts, read 492,862 times
North Broad Street and the neighborhood near Temple

Old 01-21-2010, 03:08 PM

388 posts, read 631,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post
I am considering moving to Philadelphia. What are the economically depressed neighborhoods that are ridden with crime, street gangs? I want to make sure I'm far away from any of those.

Is there anyone who can give me the lowdown on the demographics (median income, ethnic makeup, etc) of Philly neighborhoods?

North Philly.

I have never seen much gang activity but there is plenty of crime.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:56 PM

7,789 posts, read 9,234,563 times
look here yourself... Pretty much the whole city is much higher crime than the US average.. But then again most large cities are.. keep that in mind.. These are stats for the entire city.. You can go back and enter a specific zip code to narrow it down but very few zip codes in the city are as low as the national average.. I have some very good frends who are Philly cops and the general consensus among them is that the whole city is crime ridden. Don't get mad at me... This comes Phillie's finest that I know... My experience was it was once a safe, clean city where everyone worked and kept their homes nice as well as the yards. In the last 20 years all has changed. The section 8 housing is taken over and rental properties have ruined nice neighborhood and all the good people are moving away to escape... Thats what we did after 48 years of watching our neighborhood decline
http://www4.onboardnavigator.com/1.5/WebContent/OBWC_report.aspx?&AID=108&CD_SID=CO001&RTID=2&RID= 6149|6150|6151|6219|21403|6220|31882|6221|6290|629 1|23514|6292|6293|6294|27764|21420|6360|27765|6361 |6362|29734|5315|5316|5317|21300|21301|5521|5522|5 523|29755|5524|5525|21340|5585|23444|5586|5587|558 8|5650|5651|5652|5653|5654|5655|23462|31833|&Frame =0&Height=600&Width=650&AgentEmail=&AgentID=&Searc hID=1&LSID=42&STEXT=PHILADELPHIA&STYPE=1&STEXTOPT= &STYPEOPT=-1&STEXTOPT2=&STYPEOPT2=-1&ITID=-1&SITID=-1&PassBackValues=&NHood=&Market=&TaxID=&County5=&P ropertyType=-1&TransactionType=-1

Old 01-21-2010, 04:50 PM

97 posts, read 141,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
look here yourself... Pretty much the whole city is much higher crime than the US average.. But then again most large cities are.. keep that in mind.. These are stats for the entire city.. You can go back and enter a specific zip code to narrow it down but very few zip codes in the city are as low as the national average.. I have some very good frends who are Philly cops and the general consensus among them is that the whole city is crime ridden. Don't get mad at me... This comes Phillie's finest that I know... My experience was it was once a safe, clean city where everyone worked and kept their homes nice as well as the yards. In the last 20 years all has changed. The section 8 housing is taken over and rental properties have ruined nice neighborhood and all the good people are moving away to escape... Thats what we did after 48 years of watching our neighborhood decline
http://www4.onboardnavigator.com/1.5...sactionType=-1
That has happened to parts of Houston as well. But some neartown sections like the Heights have been gentrified, with many small homes going for $300, $400 thousand, and in those sections the crime is somewhat less, perhaps because the homeowners want to protect their investment.
I'm not mad at you, you did good. And I personally like cops and they for sure have an inside line on communities that most of us never see.
I guess for me, it would make a difference, you and others perception of which way this was going now. Do increased home costs and community efforts mean that communities are turning around?

Old 01-21-2010, 05:31 PM

7,789 posts, read 9,234,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucillle View Post
.Do increased home costs and community efforts mean that communities are turning around?

Generally yes.... But even center city where homes are obscenely expensive.. is not as safe as the burbs.. Generally cities are not as safe as the outlying areas.. But if you know this and want to live under these conditions, just be aware and you should be fine.. We grew tired of the constant car break ins, fights and police cars and helicopters all night.. But some may like that... (not trying to made the city people mad, just telling my experiences)

Old 01-22-2010, 12:33 AM

1,943 posts, read 4,113,815 times
Re: cops' take on the city.

I have a brother who is in the nursing field and he was telling me about this doctor he met who works at CHOP with rare childhood illnesses. She happens to be pregnant and is convinced that her child is going to be born with one of these illnesses.

Logically, she knows that the chances are something like 50,000:1 but emotionally, because that's all she sees every day, it seems to her like "everyone" has something wrong with them.

Cops have a similar outlook.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:44 AM

97 posts, read 141,146 times
I do think there is some value in mapping out areas that have particularly elevated levels of crime or gang activity. I saw above where one can search for crime levels by zip code and that's useful, but that also can be misleading as there can be good areas and not so good areas in one zip.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:21 AM

7,652 posts, read 11,029,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post

How much are you looking to spend on rent or mortgage? Will you be raising a family? Where will you be working/going to school?

Whenever I am in your hometown of Baltimore, a lot of the neighborhoods remind me of Philadelphia. That's not so much good or bad as just familiar.

As a general rule of thumb, Center City (aka downtown), NW, NE and South Philly east of Broad Street are considered the most desirable areas in town. Incomes can range from working-class to upper-income. Some neighborhoods are more diverse than others. North, West and Southwest Philly have their share of issues.

Of course, there are exceptions, favorable and unfavorable, to what I wrote in the above paragraph. If you're not looking for trouble, it's unlikely to come to you.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia