U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 03:31 PM

51 posts, read 103,644 times

Advertisements

Hi all...need some help on things to be aware of regarding a move to Moorestown, NJ. My wife & I are looking to find a great town to move our 2 children (2.5 yrs. and newborn)...have heard many good things...looking to spend under $700k...need a yard, good/safe friendly street/neighbors etc...things I want to understand:

-How do you rate the schools system? (good. caring schools important)

-Is there one elementary school you would rank above others? (ie important to live nearby)

-Can you help me understand the specific areas of Moorestown? What areas are considered the most desirable?

-If you live in Moorestown or near, is this town as good as everyone says it is? How do you compare/contrast it to Haddonfield? (better/worse)

-What is the community like? What is the Main Street like? Crime? Cost of living in Moorestown?

I am good with the overall idea of Moorestown, just looking for data and experiences that you cannot pick up in a drive through town.
I appreciate your time...please reply with your take!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 05:20 PM

7,785 posts, read 10,486,784 times
Moorestown is a wonderful town. They have a walkable main street complete with ice cream shops, restaurants and boutiques.. The town is very clean and was voted as the best town in America a few years ago to live.. If you have $700k to spend, you can't do better. The schools are top notch too. Heres a recent sold property there for $700k

Real Estate

this one for $680k

http://www.mlsfinder.com/nj_trend/c2...7&npp=10&sr=81

here's some links on Moorestown..

http://www.moorestown.com/community/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moorest...ip,_New_Jersey

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...CS3447880.html

Old 01-22-2010, 07:01 PM

674 posts, read 1,372,810 times
I agree with previous poster - Moorestown is a very nice safe clean town. Honestly I think Haddonfield as little more old town charm to it, and moorestown has a little bit more newer feel but still very friendly feeling. Schools are amazing, one elementary school over the other isn't really a difference, they're all very highly regarded/ranked. I would try to stay as close to the downtown area as possible, thats the nicest part, especially if youre looking for that community walkable feel. For mid 600's you can get yourself a 4 bed 2.5 bath home with a decent sized yard. Taxes are going to be insanely high, but thats Jersey... Let me know if you have anymore questions!

Old 01-22-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooodsie View Post
I agree with previous poster - Moorestown is a very nice safe clean town. Honestly I think Haddonfield as little more old town charm to it, and moorestown has a little bit more newer feel but still very friendly feeling. Schools are amazing, one elementary school over the other isn't really a difference, they're all very highly regarded/ranked. I would try to stay as close to the downtown area as possible, thats the nicest part, especially if youre looking for that community walkable feel. For mid 600's you can get yourself a 4 bed 2.5 bath home with a decent sized yard. Taxes are going to be insanely high, but thats Jersey... Let me know if you have anymore questions!
taxes are no higher then the same priced home in Bucks or Montgomery county. I know cause were looked in all 3 areas and were shocked to see this.. A $600k home in all 3 areas is gonna be a hefty tax burden for sure. probably around $11-12k a year

Old 01-22-2010, 09:19 PM

Frank,
Not true at all...
I am a realtor, I just searched Haddonfield, Moorestown, Yardley and Newtown for houses that are 650k to compare the high and low taxes in that price bracket.
Moorestown - 15 properties listed - Ranged from 12-16k in taxes
Haddonfield - 8 properties listed - Ranged from 12-18k
Yardley - 10 properties listed - Ranged from 7-11k
Newtown - 8 properties listed - Ranged from 6-11k

So.. as you can see, as an average, NJ is considerably higher statistically.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Frank,
Not true at all...
I am a realtor, I just searched Haddonfield, Moorestown, Yardley and Newtown for houses that are 650k to compare the high and low taxes in that price bracket.
Moorestown - 15 properties listed - Ranged from 12-16k in taxes
Haddonfield - 8 properties listed - Ranged from 12-18k
Yardley - 10 properties listed - Ranged from 7-11k
Newtown - 8 properties listed - Ranged from 6-11k

So.. as you can see, as an average, NJ is considerably higher statistically.
better go back and check again cause I just did for a $600k home for sale right now in Moorestown, Rydal and Doylestown. Moorestown was the cheapest at 9600, Doylestown at 10,600 and Ryday at 10,300. Here ya go if you don't believe me/

Rydal- Real Estate

Doylestown- Real Estate

Moorestown- Real Estate

Old 01-23-2010, 11:09 AM

Frank you picked the most expensive places in PA to compare to - I specifically was recommending Yardley and Newtown which ARE cheaper taxes than Moorestown by far. Yes there are places in PA that are just as high, but not yardley and newtown which was what I had said originally. And in an overall generality, NJ is typically higher. This is not just speculation, this is fact, I am a realtor in both states and am not just guessing, this is 100% fact.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:29 AM

I picked those because the housing and income levels are in like with Moorestown. Why would I load this comparison and use lower income and housing area in pa? Aren't we comparing apples to apples? and besides the first prop that popped up in my search in Moorstown was way less then the ones you choose? why is that ? AND my first Moorestown propery was in the middle of your Yardley and Newtown range too. Weird huh?

Old 01-23-2010, 12:15 PM

1,943 posts, read 4,395,207 times
Quote:
Frank you picked the most expensive places in PA to compare to - I specifically was recommending Yardley and Newtown which ARE cheaper taxes than Moorestown by far. Yes there are places in PA that are just as high, but not yardley and newtown which was what I had said originally. And in an overall generality, NJ is typically higher. This is not just speculation, this is fact, I am a realtor in both states and am not just guessing, this is 100% fact.
I also have a real estate license - i'm not a realtor - but i do have access to the MLS and am familiar with most towns in the area. (I was a buyer/project manager for a developer)

Moorestown has the highest taxes in Burlington Co. why wouldn't you compare it to the towns in Bucks with the highest taxes?

Property taxes in Bucks are generally comparable to South Jersey. They're not cheap in DelCo either. You have to go out to Chester Co. and parts of Montgomery to find significant differences . . . and when you do it's usually because you're not getting some city service (sewer, water or trash collection)

Old 01-23-2010, 12:54 PM

That's fine... I was just trying to say that as a general rule of thumb, NJ taxes are higher than PA taxes. Just in general. That's all. That's what they're known for. It doesn't matter to this post, the OP is not considering PA, this conversation was just sparked by an off handed comment, so it really isn't even relevant to this post and we're just wasting space on the OP's original question of "Is moorestown nice" which I think we can all agree, the answer is yes yes yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia