Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,146 times

Advertisements

edit: we are not moving Philly, oops! We are moving TO Philly!

Hello! Another one of these "advise me!" posts. My name is Megan. I live in Atlanta currently. My best friend, Shawna, lives in Scranton. We are both graduating (her in May, me in December) and are planning on moving to Philadelphia post-graduation! She can move in sooner, and would be willing to (think August-ish), if the right opportunity presented itself.

When are you moving?
late December 2010
Where are you coming from? My best friend Shawna is moving from Scranton and I am moving from Philadelphia!
Why are you moving? I am graduating in Fall '10, want to be closer to family but still maintain the "city life" I like about Atlanta.
Where will you be working? I am graduating with a degree in PR, and I am pretty open to whatever, but I do not have a job opportunity yet. Most likely, I'd be interning and looking for a server/restaurant night job.
Have you been here yet? I lived in Scranton until 2006 then I moved to ATL for college. I have only been to Philly for daytrips, so I don't have much of an idea of the city really.

Will you buy or rent?
Rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Open to about anything, though my friend and I are hoping on a loft! If it's a 2br, limit is about 1200? If it's a 3br, limit is 1800ish (we have a potential 3rd roomie).
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Either or is fine.

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Both single, both no kids.
Do you have pets?
Yes a <30lb totally trained dog, and a cat or two.
Do you want or need a yard? Would be nice, but not a requirement.
Are you keeping a car? Yes, we will both have cars.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? We want the city life, so bustling activity! But, if we can get downtown and it's "quiet", that's fine too.

What do you want to be closest to?
ShoppingNightlifeTrain or subway stationsCenter City

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
Diversity is fine, I lived in Atlanta so I'm used to that. I actually love the gay neighborhoods, always so fun and lots going on! I do want a safe neighborhood.

Coke or Pepsi?
I've lived in the Coke capitol of the world for the past 4 years!

So, I've seen some amazing loft buildings on craigslist. Obviously, this is a year away so we can snatch them up for a long time. Are there any other ways to look at apts and what not available in the city? Craigslist always spooks me out a bit.

We're also trying to decide on the right neighborhood. I've heard a lot of good things about Graduate Hospital... Trying to stick to where the heart of the city is (without the major crime and what not, though I know in any city you can find a lot of crime in even good areas).

Also, how is the job market? I search around, have put out some feelers with PRSA in the area... I can't work (make money) in PR right away (need experience to get a job... but wait? don't I need a job for experience?!) so I am going to do internships for experience. What kind of restaurants are upscale, casual fine-dining? I work for Houston's now which is a pretty big name in NYC and ATL. It's hardcore, so I could deal with any sort of crazy strict environment...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 02:26 PM

388 posts, read 1,088,132 times
The job market is ok. Center city is a great area and there is not that much crime. The problem is it costs more and there is not much parking. If you can't find what you want in CC then checkout Manayunk. Most recent college grads tend to live in Manayunk until they are about 30.

I also like East Falls. It is quiet but there is parking and no crime. There is not much going on there but the great thing about East Falls is it is only five minutes from Manayunk, ten minutes from CC and it is just above Kelly Drive and next to Wissahickon Park.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:22 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,955,599 times
You might find a loft-like place in your price range in Fishtown.

I would also check out the apartments at the Piazza in Northern Liberties. I heard rents are pretty reasonable there.

You might also want to look at renting a house in Northern Liberties, Fairmount or South Philly.

You should really lose at least one of the cars. This is not a city built for cars and it's not at all practical to try to live in Center City with one. It's not even necessary. It's also not fair to the people who already live here. If you can't get rid of one or both you should consider living in one of the more suburban parts of the city (east falls, west philly, mt. airy, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia