Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 08:35 AM

11 posts, read 19,508 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I will be going to philly for the U2 show at lincold field this coming July. I need to know the area with the best nightlife. We are looking for the best irish bars as well as other bars/clubs that are highly recommended. We want to book our hotel close to this nightlife so I need to know the area. Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 08:45 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
Sadly there is no nightlife in the immediate vicinity of Lincoln Financial Field or the rest of the "Arena District". (I don't really count Chickie and Pete's unless it's a game day.) The good news is that you're a short subway ride away from Center City where there are numerous bars, restaurants, clubs... and hotels. I'll admit my memory is a little fuzzy on names of Irish bars so I'll leave it to others here to fill in the details.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:52 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
How long will you be in town, looking forward to the U2 concert myself

Maybe can give you some pointers

Old 01-29-2010, 09:16 AM

We'll be in town on sat the 10th..leaving tues the 13...we want to book our hotel near the nightlife and just cab/subway to lincold field...so center city is where the action is? we also need a good irish bar to pre-game for the show on monday and hopefully post-show as well...

Old 01-29-2010, 09:28 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
I would suggest hotels in CC, probably closer to the rittenhouse area, walk to nightlife, restarants, and the subway.

Pre-concert you may want to consider either Fado (15th and Locust and half block to subway) or even McFaddens which is an Irish bar in Citizens Bank Park (where the Phillies play) and right accross the street from the Linc (where the U2 concert is)

Other great irish bars include the Irish Pub (20th and Walnut), Mcglinshys (sp) 13th btw Locust and Walnut and probably a dozen others, plus just check out the scene in and around rittenhouse, along wlanut and Samson. only thing is July has the city fleeing for the Jersey shore on weekends in july.

Enjoy your stay

Old 01-29-2010, 09:29 AM

Yes, Center City is the main center of nightlife and the easiest to get to from the stadium. Now that my foggy memory is lifting LOL, I know there is the obviously named Irish Pub which has two locations on Walnut Street (near 12th and 20th Streets, respectively). I'm not a bar aficionado though so I can't say this is the "best" but I know I've seen the usual line out the door on St. Patrick's Day.

Lots of bars from classy to "hole-in-the-wall". If you lean towards the latter, look for Dirty Frank's. I believe Monk's is known for having excellent Belgian beers. Slightly off the beaten path by visitor standards perhaps, the many bars in the Northern Liberties area along the waterfront are more down-to-earth than those just below in Old City.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:37 AM

this is great info guys..thanks so much...i'll be coming in from connecticut so should be a pretty ez drive...I am pumped for philly weekend and U2!! thanks again

Old 01-29-2010, 09:38 AM

and where is the BEST philly cheese steak? (i know sounds so touristy)

Old 01-29-2010, 09:59 AM

Here's the most recent of many threads on the subject:

Where Can I Get the BEST Philly Cheesesteak?

The general local consensus is to avoid the "famous" Pat's and Geno's, respectively, unless you want to be able to brag that you went to a place that people might recognize. My personal preference is Campo's... but others' mileage will definitely vary.

BTW, two very good sources of nightlife in the city are Philadelphia Weekly | Local news, reviews, multimedia, music, real estate and more and Philadelphia's Independent Weekly Newspaper :: Philadelphia City Paper :: Philadelphia Events, Arts, Restaurants, Music, Movies, Jobs, Classifieds, Blogs .

Old 01-29-2010, 10:01 AM

thanks everyone for all the info! we should all et together for the U2 pre-game!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia