Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2010, 03:47 PM

6 posts, read 16,379 times

Advertisements

Looking to spend 500-700 on a small space in the city. Any suggestions on areas or advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 12:26 PM

388 posts, read 1,093,850 times
With your budget you will probably need a roommate.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:41 PM

6 posts, read 16,379 times
Someone care to explain to me. Why the landlords insist on screwing the renters when it comes to paying? Found a nice three bedroom for 800 a month in port richmond today. But cannot find a studio in my price range?

Last edited by FindingZen; 02-01-2010 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: slight edit to a rather harsh phrase

Old 02-01-2010, 10:44 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,151,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaWings View Post
Someone care to explain to me. Why the landlords insist on screwing the renters when it comes to paying? Found a nice three bedroom for 800 a month in port richmond today. But cannot find a studio in my price range?
I'd be skeptical of the quality of that property or the immediate block. Port Richmond is a decent working-class neighborhood but not necessarily one that people seek out right away. At the very least, I'd say you got an unusually good deal.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:16 AM

6 posts, read 12,048 times
I'm in the heart of Port Richmond and pay about 800.00 for my monthly mortgage not rent. I have a 3 bedroom home on a nice block close to the 3 major churches in the area. It takes me 5 min to get from my house to center city and the bus terminal is close by. This does help if you do not drive or want to pay for parking. Port Richmond is a good choice rather then paying an outrageous amount on a one bedroom apartment downtown.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:29 PM

130 posts, read 296,965 times
Default Moving to Philadelphia and I don't know anything. $800 mortgage plus what other costs in Port Richmond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassylassy View Post
I'm in the heart of Port Richmond and pay about 800.00 for my monthly mortgage not rent. I have a 3 bedroom home on a nice block close to the 3 major churches in the area. It takes me 5 min to get from my house to center city and the bus terminal is close by. This does help if you do not drive or want to pay for parking. Port Richmond is a good choice rather then paying an outrageous amount on a one bedroom apartment downtown.
I would be interested to know what it really costs to own a home. In your case $800 for mortgage sounds really cheap, but what other costs should one budget for if owning not renting? I am currently paying $975 plus about $250 for utilities (water, sewer, trash alone costs $107.92 minimum per month) for a 1500 sq ft apartment in a small beach town on the Eastern Shore, VA with no public transport and I don't own a car. I am desperate to move to an urban area. While I love my space and the beach view, I just want to have a 1br and a small den to convert to my art studio/creative workshop and be close to grocery shopping and have access to public transport. Please someone help me find the right place to move to Philadelphia. I've lived in Wash DC, NYC, Baltimore, and now Cape Charles, VA and I want to move back to city life.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:45 PM

4,510 posts, read 4,036,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazfora View Post
I would be interested to know what it really costs to own a home. In your case $800 for mortgage sounds really cheap, but what other costs should one budget for if owning not renting? I am currently paying $975 plus about $250 for utilities (water, sewer, trash alone costs $107.92 minimum per month) for a 1500 sq ft apartment in a small beach town on the Eastern Shore, VA with no public transport and I don't own a car. I am desperate to move to an urban area. While I love my space and the beach view, I just want to have a 1br and a small den to convert to my art studio/creative workshop and be close to grocery shopping and have access to public transport. Please someone help me find the right place to move to Philadelphia. I've lived in Wash DC, NYC, Baltimore, and now Cape Charles, VA and I want to move back to city life.
For a one bedroom I'd say you'll need around $170k to $220k. That should be for 600-800sqft max. If you are into art I think you'd find the olde city area and their apartments pretty cool.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:24 PM

3,764 posts, read 4,095,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazfora View Post

There are plenty of neighborhoods with excellent public transportation in Philadelphia that would be affordable for you, but you are going to have to come to the city and look around. I would avoid the artsy, trendy, gentrified neighborhoods because you would be paying a premium for that. The not so well known neighborhoods will give you more for your money, not to mention fewer tourists and night clubbers disturbing your peace. Look to the lesser known areas of South, Northeast, and Northwest Philly. If you need a realtor recommendation, or have specific questions, feel free to DM me.

Last edited by james777; 02-15-2014 at 04:35 PM..

Old 02-19-2014, 03:13 PM

166 posts, read 278,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaWings View Post
Looking to spend 500-700 on a small space in the city. Any suggestions on areas or advice?
I think the area of Port Richmond would be a great start. I think that's a fairly decent neighborhood with lots of transit, and you might be able to find a place within your price range. If you choose Port Richmond, you'll have to move to an area near Kennsington, which means it won't look as pretty as Port Richmond does. But you'll still have lots of transit options available to take you downtown fairly fast.

You could also afford a studio apartment in University City, or the surrounding West Philly neighborhoods (I wouldn't go past 48th st though & avoid Mill Creek, Belmont & Haverford).

Try Zillow, Padmapper, and Craigslist for help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia