Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 02:10 PM

8 posts, read 21,051 times

Advertisements

hey everybody,
I grew up in Roxborough, now I live in Phoenixville and I am moving out. I recently got a new job in Aston, PA and I would like to shorten my commute and get out there on my own. I have been looking exclusively in South Philly as I am in my mid 20's and enjoy city living and what it offers. I am not real familiar with South Philly in terms of where to avoid and such. My budget is about 130,000. I have been looking at 3 houses in particular one around 10th and Ritner, the other around 5th and Carpenter and 15th and Mckean. Can anyone tell me about these areas? and where to avoid?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 07:17 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,957,403 times
5th & Carpenter is the projects. The other two corners are pretty nice places.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:53 AM

711 posts, read 1,506,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backstreets519 View Post
hey everybody,
I grew up in Roxborough, now I live in Phoenixville and I am moving out. I recently got a new job in Aston, PA and I would like to shorten my commute and get out there on my own. I have been looking exclusively in South Philly as I am in my mid 20's and enjoy city living and what it offers. I am not real familiar with South Philly in terms of where to avoid and such. My budget is about 130,000. I have been looking at 3 houses in particular one around 10th and Ritner, the other around 5th and Carpenter and 15th and Mckean. Can anyone tell me about these areas? and where to avoid?

Thanks,

You are much closer to Aston where you are. Moving to South Philly is definetly a step back.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:19 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,398,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillrunner View Post
You are much closer to Aston where you are. Moving to South Philly is definetly a step back.
I don't agree. Aston is not far from 95, and the Broad St. exit takes you right into South Philly.

My kids are 20-somethings, and they've lived in various neighborhoods in South Philly...I think the OP would enjoy living there too. I know that the general rule of thumb is to stay east of Broad St., but I'm not familiar with 15th and McKean...could be the exception to the rule.

Passyunk Square is a nice area...pretty safe too, I believe. Might not fit your budget though, but couldn't hurt to take a look.

Passyunk Square Civic Association

Old 03-02-2010, 02:35 AM

3 posts, read 9,577 times
Default good luck

I am 28, married, 3 small kids. I was born and raised in south philly. I grew in the East Passyunk Ave area, but I now live at 10th and Ritner. I HATE it. Sorry, the neighbors are nothing but unfriendly and cut throat. Parking is absurd. If you plan on coming home and parking your car after 5pm, don't make the mistake of thinking you are going to park in your own neighborhood. This is the kind of neighborhood where people put chairs out in their parking spots then leave for work and expect to come home to that same spot, day after day. I have lived here for 3 years and I can't even tell you the names of 5 people who live on my block.

15th and Mckean is behind St Agnes Nursing Home, and it's ghetto, do NOT buy there, there will be no resale value. 5th and Carpenter is a mess, its next to the Projects, so safety will be questionable.

The East Passyunk Ave area and most of the Bella Vista area are good.

South Philly is one big bad neighborhood with small pockets of good dotted throughout. Literaly, I live at 10th and I would not walk on 7th after sundown, and thats only 3 block away. Make sure your realtor lives in and knows the ins and outs of south philly, or you will get screwed.

Really, Good Luck.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:52 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,352,585 times
Awww, man, that's really sad to hear about South Philly. I remember having a temp job down there once in the '70's, and being told how safe the streets were because of the -- well, you know. The houses were all re-done in gaudy style with elaborate windows and decor, but they were all nicely cared-for. Are there no good neighborhoods in South Philly anymore?

Old 03-08-2010, 12:19 PM

40 posts, read 98,644 times
There are plenty of amazing areas of South Philly. Passyunk Square, East Passyunk Crossing and Newbold are all doing well. However it would be really difficult to find something in your budget around Passyunk. 130k is just not going to buy as much as it used to. That being said there are always exceptions, especially if you buy a home that needs some work.

I would definitely stay away from 5th and Carpenter, no matter what anybody tells you, as long as the projects are there that block will never get better.

10th and Ritner is too far south to really enjoy the East Passyunk renaissance. 15th and Mckean will get better.

I would also recommend looking in pennsport as some deals could be had there in the 130-160k range.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:08 PM

10,583 posts, read 12,004,202 times
Why not rent for a while (at least six months), and get a feel before buying. Housing prices are going up THAT fast anytime soon.

I take it you want accessible public transit. But doesn't that mean you don't even HAVE a car? If you have a car FORGET south Philly.

You say you grew up in Rox and have been in the suburbs for a while -- do you honestly thin you could make the transition back to TIGHT rowhouse, apartment living?
- noise from neighbors
- NO parking, parking two block from where you live
- perhaps not the stores you'd like nearby

ALSO if you don't WORK in the city, then there is NO - NONE ZILCH - financial benefit to LIVING in the city. The cost city wage tax, and insurance (car, homeowners, etc) alone makes it not worth it.

If you work in Aston, why not live near one of SEPTA's suburban Regional Rail lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia