Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:34 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,948,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shino306 View Post
I live in the city and honestly the streets and sidewalks aren't that bad. I think what we got over this past weekend was worse than what we got starting on Tues night. The local media over-blew the entire thing and covered it way too much. Yet, the weather, sports, and crime seem to be the local news' favorite "subjects."
However I agree with the two previous posters...I'm tired of this ridiculous weather. I don't care if this is officially the snowiest winter on record and the chances of it happening again are slim, it doesn't mean I have to LIKE it!

Those are the three main topics of local news, sports, weather, and crime. What else should they talk about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 11:00 AM

253 posts, read 867,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Those are the three main topics of local news, sports, weather, and crime. What else should they talk about?
Are you being serious or sarcastic?
Being the 5th largest populated metropolitan area in the country, I know there HAS to be other things going on other than those topics, which they could cover for at least 10 minutes, which would still give them plenty of time to show footage of people's opinions on Andy Reid & Donovan McNabb or Chase Utley, talk about the most recent burglary, shooting, etc, and how cold/warm tomorrow is going to be.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:11 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Are you being serious or sarcastic?
Being the 5th largest populated metropolitan area in the country, I know there HAS to be other things going on other than those topics, which they could cover for at least 10 minutes, which would still give them plenty of time to show footage of people's opinions on Andy Reid & Donovan McNabb or Chase Utley, talk about the most recent burglary, shooting, etc, and how cold/warm tomorrow is going to be.

I will agree that I don't care about bar shootings in the ghetto at 4am in the morning but some crime stories are important like home invasions or bank hold ups. But yes they do seem to go overboard with the weather all year long whether it' July or Janaury. In July I never understood why a HEATWAVE is a big weather story if it's the summertime. Now if it was 90 degress now then it would be a big story.

I'm not sure I undrstand your point about sports because that's always a part of local news for a city who has 4 pro teams and college teams

Old 02-11-2010, 11:12 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,200,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes View Post
.. I understand the severity of the weather.

But .. I would imagine by now everyone has figured it is snowing and dangerous to move your car.
Normal folks must realize that the city and states plowing ability has some limits in capability.
Normally I would agree with you but whats happened in the past 5-6 days is unprecedented.Philadelphia got 46" of snow in 4 days, Ridley Park recieved 52" of snow in 4 days, those are staggering numbers 10,000 ft up in the Sierras. Imagine what it does in the middle of a major metropolis.

I'm going to give the talking heads a pass on this one. This was an epic week. The snowiest month in Philadlephia history Feb 2010.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:14 PM

253 posts, read 867,940 times
Quote:
Now if it was 90 degress now then it would be a big story.

I'm not sure I undrstand your point about sports because that's always a part of local news for a city who has 4 pro teams and college teams
I wish it was 90 degrees now..that would be MAJOR news, but then again I'm not a fan of cold weather to begin with and being very pregnant at this point makes walking outside with the ice/snow treacherous to say the least.

I guess I just feel sports over-dominates a lot of the coverage here. I can understand reporting on the Eagles, Phillies, Temple, St. Joe's, 'Nova etc but it seems to take up an inordinate amount of time IMO on the newscast. I didn't grow up in Philly, but in a place that was just as sports crazy (we had/have 4 pro teams and several colleges, one being the main state school close by) and believe me every single school didn't get a shout-out every time they played. Unless you personally went to XYZ school, do you really care who they're playing next Wednesday? It's sort of like if you went to Seattle on business, turned on the television, got the news and they spent 20 minutes talking about who Univ of Washington was going to play next...would you actually care/be interested unless you went there?
BTW, I don't even know which team my own alma mater is playing next and they're ranked by every national poll there is and it's not because I don't like college basketball either.

Last edited by Shino306; 02-11-2010 at 12:23 PM..

Old 02-11-2010, 12:21 PM
FBJ

Quote:
[quote Now if it was 90 degress now then it would be a big story.

I wish it was 90 degrees now..that would be MAJOR news, but then again I'm not a fan of cold weather to begin with and being very pregnant at this point makes walking outside with the ice/snow treacherous to say the least.

I guess I just feel sports over-dominates a lot of the coverage here. I can understand reporting on the Eagles, Phillies, Temple, St. Joe's, 'Nova etc but it seems to take up an inordinate amount of time IMO on the newscast. I didn't grow up in Philly, but in a place that was just as sports crazy (we had/have 4 pro teams and several colleges, one being the main state school close by) and believe me every single school didn't get a shout-out every time they played. Unless you personally went to XYZ school, do you really care who they're playing next Wednesday?
I don't even know which team my own alma mater is playing next and they're ranked by every national poll there is and it's not because I don't like college basketball either.[/quote]

Well I think the runRun down is like this

first 10 min-Local News

Comercial

next 5 mins-Other type of News

Commercial

5 mins-Weather

Commercial

5 mins-Sports

End of News

So the Sports and Weather is always even

Old 02-11-2010, 02:17 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,337,680 times
I never understand why TV stations send their reporters out in a middle of a major snowstorm when the police and PENNDOT are asking everyone to stay off the roads. CBS3's Jim Donovan was driving all over yesterday, including doing a live shot going over the Franklin Bridge. What's the point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia