Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,295 times

Advertisements

[LEFT]Hi, everyone! My husband and I currently live in NYC, where I also work as well. We're ready to buy and house and move out of the city and have recently been researching commutable towns in the area. We were pretty open and have been researching NY, NJ, and CT for the most part. Unfortunately, I'm just really not loving what I'm seeing. We both agree that we don't think we want to live in S. Jersey or Long Island and between taxes, what you get for the money, and the houses that are coming up in our price range, we're rather disappointed. My husband is originally from Doylestown, and I just absolutely love it there. I keep saying that, that's the type of place I'd like to live and raise my family and I didn't think it was possible to live in Buck's Co and commute to NY but the more I look into it, the more I think you can. His job right now is somewhat flexible but he'll be looking for a new one come summer / fall anyway.

Can anyone offer advice on this type of commute? Am I crazy for considering this? If we were to do it, what towns would you recommend to live in? I read a bit about commuting from Hamilton and it seems just as long as some of the NJ, NY, CT towns I've been looking into.

I found this info on the first site in this forum so I'll fill out what I can:
When are you moving? Summer '10
Where are you coming from? NYC
Why are you moving? Done with the city, small apt, no closets, etc....
Where will you be working? NYC for now - hope to transfer to Princeton or Philly down the road (my co has offices all over)
Have you been here yet? Yes, for the most part - I've been to Doylestown and that immediate area and we actually lived in Philly from '05-08

Will you buy or rent? Buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House - $500-600k

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married and hoping to start a family very soon
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? Not yet but would love a dog
Do you want or need a yard? Yes, definitely want a yard
Are you keeping a car? Yes
[/LEFT]

What else -- We love a town with character - mature trees, houses that aren't brand new, cookie cutter, and all the same. And we love a town with a cute downtown area (main street) and not all commercial, chain stores and restaurants. I love Peddler's Village and if anyone's been to New Canaan, CT, that type of main street as well. We like quaint but not country. We also want to live in an area where you can get to know your neighbor and community.

Sorry this post is soooo long!

Thank you so much in advance for any insight anyone can provide.

[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 02:07 PM

244 posts, read 747,424 times
Yardley/Newtown area.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:15 PM

51 posts, read 166,617 times
Default NYC to Philly suburb

Hi...I did the NYC to Philly move a few years back so I know the drill. And I also think Doylestown is a great place, but probably is not the optimum place regarding commute to NYC and Princeton...if I were going to recommend the best combination of towns, good housing stock, schools, better commute to NYC/Philly/Princeton with character etc under $600K, I would recommend Newtown/Yardley on the PA side and Moorestown, NJ on the NJ side. Both are much easier to Hamilton/train commuting, both have quaint downtowns, good schools, diverse/very nice housing etc...Doylestown is a great choice for everything you said, but as your life gets more hectic (re kids etc), you will be adding alot of commute time to your days...my two cents...good luck!

Old 02-11-2010, 09:24 PM

692 posts, read 2,351,184 times
Yardley, Newtown, Buckingham, Doylestown, NEW HOPE, Solebury...

Old 02-11-2010, 10:50 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,526 times
Sorry, the OP was a little confusing with the LI, S. Jersey, Hamilton stuff.

Hamilton is in Mercer Co., NJ - which no one here (or in Hamilton for that matter) would say is in South Jersey.

Anyway, it really depends on where you get transfered. If Princeton then I would recommend a lot of places in a 10 mile radius. If Philly then that opens up a lot of territory.

Have you considered getting the transfer first then renting a place for 6 months to a year while you look for your dream house?

Old 05-06-2010, 01:58 PM

5 posts, read 6,976 times
Bucks County includes Yardley, Newtown, Buckingham, Doylestown, NEW HOPE, Solebury...Best areas. Princeton, NJ is also nearby, 30 minutes, and should also be a consideration. Only an hour by train to NY from Yardley and Princeton.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:25 PM

119 posts, read 384,704 times
I would second (or third) New Hope. Its a great option if you are in between NYC and Philly. With the price range you are looking at for a home you should be able to get something you like. Here are some current listings there: http://www.everyhomerealty.com/pa/bu/nh/pabunh.htm (broken link) .

Old 05-06-2010, 03:14 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Doylestown, Newtown, West Chester, Chestnut Hill, Skippack, Haddonfield NJ

Old 05-06-2010, 03:29 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,739,820 times
In regards to commuting to NYC Yardley is your best bet. Much easier to get to the train station without dealing with all the traffic.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:37 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,420,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Doylestown, Newtown, West Chester, Chestnut Hill, Skippack, Haddonfield NJ
West Chester? That's like two counties away from Bucks. Skippack isn't particularly close (for commuting purposes) either...it's in MontCo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia