U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-01-2010, 07:21 AM

12,673 posts, read 18,861,966 times
Default Is Philadelphia like DC in it's safety/cost relationship of liveable neighborhoods?

Is Philadelphia like Washington DC in its relationship between costs of a place and safety compromises.

I'm just thinking that in a city like Pittsburgh, there seems to be a lot of safe working class neighborhoods in the city that are also affordable for just regular people who want city amenities but don't have the high salaries to pay for them.

In Washington DC, it seems that if you want safety and urban, you'll be paying for it. Is Philadelphia similar - if you want urban and some safety thrown in, you'll pay for it?

(I got a wife and kid, which is why I'm interested in this).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 07:35 AM

6,971 posts, read 12,217,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is Philadelphia like Washington DC in its relationship between costs of a place and safety compromises.

I'm just thinking that in a city like Pittsburgh, there seems to be a lot of safe working class neighborhoods in the city that are also affordable for just regular people who want city amenities but don't have the high salaries to pay for them.

In Washington DC, it seems that if you want safety and urban, you'll be paying for it. Is Philadelphia similar - if you want urban and some safety thrown in, you'll pay for it?

i think so. although, you will be paying more in DC for those amenities. and from what i've heard, Pitt is a city of well-established neighborhoods. people prefer to live in them vs the downtown businees district. while Philly is also considered a city of neighborhoods, the closer you are to center city or downtown the more desirable. it will definitely cost more to live there than other parts of the city. trust me, we were looking to buy in center city and there wasn't very much in our price range that wasn't completely dilapidated.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:35 AM

7,720 posts, read 11,599,933 times
DC proper is maybe 1/5 to 1/4 the size of Philly. Combine that with a resilient job market and you'll see a sharp divide between upper-income and lower-income neighborhoods than Philly. What defines middle-class let alone working-class is relative in Washington as the cost of living is much higher, especially for housing.

While Philly certainly has its share of challenged areas, one can still find solid-working-class neighborhoods in all sections of the city...outside of Center City, of course.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:38 AM

8,777 posts, read 7,377,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

no. there are safe, affordable neighborhoods in philly. they just aren't the ones ringing downtown, though arguably south philly is affordable and reasonably safe. I often describe Philly as NY divided by pittsburgh. in truth, it's somewhere between DC and Pittsburgh in context of the question you ask. Pitt and Philly share a lot in common, IMO.
perhaps resilient job market isn't the right word, since DC's job market expands at the expense of everyone else's.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:11 PM

7,720 posts, read 11,599,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
no. there are safe, affordable neighborhoods in philly. they just aren't the ones ringing downtown, though arguably south philly is affordable and reasonably safe. I often describe Philly as NY divided by pittsburgh. in truth, it's somewhere between DC and Pittsburgh in context of the question you ask. Pitt and Philly share a lot in common, IMO.
perhaps resilient job market isn't the right word, since DC's job market expands at the expense of everyone else's.
I partially agree with your assessment of DC's job market. It's true that the Federal Government plays a major role in that. But so do the contractors that choose to locate themselves near them, let alone the tech companies that (re)located there independent of any government dealings.

I like your "mathematical" description of Philly!

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia