Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 04:57 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,806,657 times

Advertisements

Most of the south jersey people post here cause almost all the new jersey section is the dreaded North jersey and we need somewhere to post our South jersey posts! So if you philly people want to get rid of us please vote! lol

Should we seperate into North Jersey and South Jersey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 08:12 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,479,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Most of the south jersey people post here cause almost all the new jersey section is the dreaded North jersey and we need somewhere to post our South jersey posts! So if you philly people want to get rid of us please vote! lol

Should we seperate into North Jersey and South Jersey?
or formally adopt South Jersey.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:20 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,082,024 times
Everyone is welcome here of course, especially our NJ and DE neighbors. I was under the impression that the NJ forum was active regarding all regions of the state. But this is the second recent post or thread that has claimed otherwise.

So no vote is necessary although "work in Philly/PA, live in NJ" threads would be more appropriate than "work and live in NJ". You may just have to be a little more assertive with the latter on the NJ forum.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:21 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,961,621 times
Look at craigslist. The north jersey/south jersey dichotomy only exists in the imagination of people from north and south jersey.

There are more people that will say they live in neither north nor south than the entire population of south jersey.

It's a small state that is polycentric. Having multiple forums would just be confusing.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
Look at craigslist. The north jersey/south jersey dichotomy only exists in the imagination of people from north and south jersey.

There are more people that will say they live in neither north nor south than the entire population of south jersey.

It's a small state that is polycentric. Having multiple forums would just be confusing.
not at all. Why does pa have a Lehigh valley and northeastern section when they are in the same location then??

North and south Jersey as as far apart as you can get... completely different location, attitude and environment.. and what are you talking about?? Craigslist does have a south and north jersey section

Old 03-23-2010, 04:24 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,942,550 times
Southern New Jersey has a massive complex about their fellow state residents from the North. I don't know why though. Most North Jerseyites (such as myself) don't have a problem with the South one way or the other. It's a construct that exists only for Southern Jerseyites.
North Jersey is the more populated section of the state, so in turn, more threads will be made about it.
I find the whole divisiveness of this thread very telling on the part of Southern NJ.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:32 AM

no one has a complex about anyone else it just does NOT make any sense for pa to have no less then 6 seperate sections and NJ only one. The total post for the pa and nj section are about the same too so the activity level is the same between pa and nj yet the massive difference in amount of separate sections.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:05 AM

13,250 posts, read 33,391,611 times
Frank, I agree with you. Most of my family is from South Jersey, and the people there are more similar to the people in lower Delaware then they are to people from North Jersey. There should be two separate New Jersey forums. However, the place to debate that is either the NJ forum or continuing the current NJ thread here - http://www.city-data.com/forum/about-forum/ NOT in the Philadelphia forum.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:31 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,961,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
North and south Jersey as as far apart as you can get... completely different location, attitude and environment.. and what are you talking about?? Craigslist does have a south and north jersey section
You are product of the Philadelphia school system, no?

You completely missed the point of my post.

North and South Jersey exist in the imaginations of people from North and South Jersey. Half the people in the state claim Central Jersey. Look at Craigslist and note the CENTRAL category. Also note where people post from.

It becomes confusing because there are overlapping ideas of what the three terms mean. Just think about about this thread - i've already had to explain myself twice because some people can't follow it.

People in parts of Burlington, most of Mercer and all of Ocean won't know where to post.

If you add a "Central" category then you're going to confuse people from Burlington, Mercer, Ocean, Monmouth, Middlesex, Union, Morris, Somerset and Hunterdon.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:29 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,477,230 times
i've personally lived in north, central & south jersey. and i can't tell the difference between mahwah, wayne, west caldwell, sayreville or cinnaminson. the only part of of NJ that is unique is husdon county because it kinda takes on NYC's characteristics. maybe some of bergen county too. but that's it. the rest all have manicured lawns and big box stores like everywhere else.

i'm gonna post this on the nj board too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia