Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2010, 12:23 PM

10 posts, read 27,716 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm considering Upenn for grad school and wanted to find out about housing. I want to rent either a studio or 1B and hopefully not pay more than $1200 a month. If you have recommendations for neighborhoods and/or specific apartments, i would appreciate it. My main concerns are safety, price, proximity to campus and parking.

When are you moving?
August 2010

Where are you coming from?
Atlanta GA

Why are you moving?
Graduate School at Upenn

Have you been here yet?
yes, but didn't have time to visit neighborhoods
Will you buy or rent?
rent!!

How much can you spend?
$1200 a month

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Doesn't matter, as long as it's less than $1200 a month

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?
no pref

Are you married or single?
single

Do you want or need a yard?
not a concern

Are you keeping a car?
Yes, parking is important

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
calm and quiet, but if it's cheap ... I'll take it.

What do you want to be closest to?
Subway station
UPenn campus
Basic amenities (supermarket, cleaners, bank, etc )
Nightlife

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Prefer a diverse, open area (I am a black male)

Last edited by corncob06; 04-02-2010 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: spacing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 01:32 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Your budget will be enough for all but the newish high-rises just east of campus. There's a fair chance you will be living in a home that has been converted into apartments.

Have you checked this out yet?
Off-Campus Services at the University of Pennsylvania

In general, University City is one of the more socioeconomically diverse areas in the city. Grad students tend to stay between 43rd and 48th. East of 43rd you'll run into Penn undergrads. West of 49th or 50th St segues into the rest of primarily black West Philly. You may find some West Philly neighborhoods more comfortable than others, depending on your experience, but it may be a little far to commute to school. I'd also stay between Locust St. to the north and Springfield Ave. to the south.

Unless you plan on traveling out of the city often, you won't need a car. Mass transit is convenient - particularly the light rail trolleys as well as the buses - and on-campus parking will likely be expensive. Like downtown, University City is high-density; on-street parking is the norm.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:10 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
For relative peace and quiet, proximity to the subway (and UPenn), parking availability, nightlife and good access to basic amenities I'd recommend the Northern Liberties neighborhood east of 4th street. It's pretty quiet most of the time, though weekend nights can get a little noisier, though by no means out of control. Street parking is generally pretty good, and some buildings have their own parking. You have quick/easy access to two subway stations (Spring Garden or Girard). Nightlife options are good with the area around the Piazza at Schmidts. The Piazza itself is a good source with concerts and Phillies games outside on the big screen TV, etcetera. Every Saturday from 10-2 there is a huge farmers market there as well. There is also a new concept-upscale Pathmark grocery store opening along with a new shopping center at 2nd and Girard, to be completed by the end of the year.

Tower Investments erecting shopping center - Philadelphia Business Journal:
Introducing the Piazza at Schmidts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia