Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:59 AM

983 posts, read 2,772,808 times

Advertisements

I would like to toss Cherry Hill, NJ into the mix. If you haven't researched into Cherry Hill already, it's near Haddonfield. The reason I suggest Cherry Hill is it has a substantial Jewish population, a really nice JCC, excellent proximity to Philadelphia by car or by PATCO high speedline, tons of shopping, restaurants, excellent schools and I am sure it would be very easy to find a rental in your price range (with the modern style you are seeking).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 10:17 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,397,444 times
Quote:
I gots to tell ya... I don't see what is so great about the Main Line.

It is just a tight, congested area. On the other, more sensible hand, Chestnut Hill is much nicer and is much closer to Jenkintown and center city via the trains. ya know, my grown kids are all absolutely sure they don't want to live any where near the main line...they too are sick of it's constant congestion and claustrophobic reality.
Chestnut Hill is "much nicer" than the Main Line? Oh, come on. Main Line is not close to trains? Every town is on the R5 line, for goodness' sake, that's how it got its name! And how did proximity to Jenkintown get to be a major attraction...? OP didn't say anything about Jenkintown. Main Line is claustrophobic and congested? OK....that's why it's one of the most desirable areas in the Phila. suburbs.

I don't know why some people feel the need to put down other people's towns while recommending their own. Regardless, I have lived in Norristown, Skippack, Lansdale, Newtown Square and Berwyn -- and Berwyn is by far the nicest and most convenient area I've ever lived in. I am off Rt. 30, but very near 202...I can be on the Expressway, Turnpike, 422, or 476 in a matter of minutes. I can walk to the train station. The convenience and the upscale, low-crime neighborhoods were the main attractions for me.

That said, Chestnut Hill is lovely, too, along with parts of Mt. Airy and many other towns mentioned here. Depends what the OP's priorities are. I was touting the Main Line because the title of the thread IS, after all: "Looking into the Main Line after some research"!

I agree the Main Line would not be an easy commute to Cheltenham, but certainly easy to get into the city on the train.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:20 PM

90 posts, read 262,424 times
Avalon08, not sure why you care to comment on other peeps comments. I think you are confusing the OP by doing so. But, I am sorry I said Jenkintown, you are right, I should've said Cheltenham, where the OP will be working. (same difference distance-wise) Also, I agree the Main Line is super train convenient. (did I say it wasn't?) Also, I don't live in Chestnut Hill...and, like you, I have lived in several of these areas for 50 years and know many of these areas pretty well. Actually, only reason why I even mentioned CH is because it is comparable to the Main Line which the OP had mentioned, but is better located to his Cheltenham work.

whew.

bottom line -- you also agree the Main Line is not really a good choice for this OP commute-wise. In my opinion, the best way to enjoy this "Philly" area is to plan your life around your commutes. Live near to work or the place you frequent the most. Case in point, I just spent 2 hours driving from Audubon to CHOP this am; some days it takes 25 mins.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:16 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,397,444 times
Quote:
Avalon08, not sure why you care to comment on other peeps comments. I think you are confusing the OP by doing so.
5thIndian, what? I responded to Post #18, which was from you and directly addressed to me. You said you didn't see what was "so great" about the Main Line, it's congested, claustrophic, your kids don't want to live there, and Chestnut Hill is much nicer and more convenient to the city. If you go back to the OP's original post, HE was the one who came up with the idea of the Main Line, not me. I simply endorsed his idea. I'm not the one confusing him by putting down his preferred location. Yes, Chestnut Hill is closer to Cheltenham, if that turns out to be the OP's main priority, but it didn't sound like that would be a daily commute. He also needs to understand that living in Chestnut Hill (Phila.) is very different from living in the suburbs, which is where he seemed to want to be based on the research he's done so far.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:01 AM

5 posts, read 23,584 times
I agree with many of the posts, that you cannot go wrong with most areas of the main line! Personally, I prefer PA over NJ, but Haddonfield is a good choice if you do choose NJ. I've lived in Jenkintown and the commute to center city via train was easy and a reasonably priced monthly train ticket.

There are many apartment complexes along the main line, that are close to the train. You might try renting for a year in any town that you choose on the main line, to get an experience of that town. I highly recommend Wayne, PA because you can easily get to center city via train, you can easily get to King of Prussia for shopping and many restaurants, and the folks who live in this area are professional, nice, and the crime is very low.

I enjoyed living in the main line area over Jenkintown/Glenside because there are more shops and restaurants close by. You can also easily travel to the Philadelphia airport from the Main Line (closer than Jenkintown). I'd say that any area that is close to route 30 along the main line (a few miles out) is a really strong choice! Best of luck to you!!

Old 05-07-2010, 11:32 AM

90 posts, read 262,424 times
I am truely sorry Avalon 08 if I cause any rise in BP. I am a super peaceful type and didn't mean to heat up anyones day.

OP good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia