U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 06:14 PM

191 posts, read 836,619 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm moving to Philly soon, but would be looking to buy a house within a year. I work in Malvern (west of Philadelphia) and my boyfriend will be attending Drexel University. I would ideally like to be looking for a house in between the center of Philly and Malvern.

My price range is $150,000-$250,000 and I'm looking for a 2-3 bedroom house in a safe area. I am open to condos, but would prefer a single family home if I can find anything that will be in that range. My biggest concerns would be a safe, nice neighborhood and a realistic commute to work, and proximity to nice places to eat/entertainment (though not as important). I have no children.

Any suggestions as to towns I should start my search in? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by soraji; 05-04-2010 at 06:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 07:05 PM

3 posts, read 4,402 times
Personally I'd look for somewhere close to Route 3. Most likely that'll be the easy commute into the city from the west and you can shoot up north on 252 or Providence Rd to head up toward Paoli/Malvern.

For what its worth I've always liked some of the homes around Newtown Square.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:18 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,410,380 times
Paoli, Malvern, Downingtown, Exton.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:56 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll def look around Route 3 since that seems like a pretty easy commute for the both of us. I'll also take a look around Newton Square.

Paoli/Malvern are too far away from Drexel for my liking. I'd like something a little closer to midway between Malvern and downtown Philly.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:28 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,410,380 times
Many of the closer suburbs are not going to be much house for your dollar. You could look into Ardmore, Wynnewood, Narberth, but you probably wont find much for the 250K-300K range.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:22 AM

9,922 posts, read 14,059,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrode View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll def look around Route 3 since that seems like a pretty easy commute for the both of us. I'll also take a look around Newton Square.

Paoli/Malvern are too far away from Drexel for my liking. I'd like something a little closer to midway between Malvern and downtown Philly.
they have excellent train service to Drexel, Newtown Sq has traffic. they're all nice places though.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:38 AM

19 posts, read 28,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrode View Post
Hi all! I'm moving to Philly soon, but would be looking to buy a house within a year. I work in Malvern (west of Philadelphia) and my boyfriend will be attending Drexel University. I would ideally like to be looking for a house in between the center of Philly and Malvern.

My price range is $150,000-$250,000 and I'm looking for a 2-3 bedroom house in a safe area. I am open to condos, but would prefer a single family home if I can find anything that will be in that range. My biggest concerns would be a safe, nice neighborhood and a realistic commute to work, and proximity to nice places to eat/entertainment (though not as important). I have no children.

Any suggestions as to towns I should start my search in? Thanks in advance!

Once you cross City Line Ave which is the border of W. Philly and the suburbs, the neighborhoods are all good.

I would recommend ANY of the towns along Lancaster Ave. The only problem for you will be the price range. Most singles will start above 250k but I think you will be able to find a condo. The towns along Lancaster ave will be perfect because they are all served by the rail line that goes direct to 30th St Station which is right next to Drexel. Look into Narberth, Ardmore, Brym Mawr, Nova, and Wayne.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:09 PM

119 posts, read 343,027 times
With a price range of 150-250 you may be able to find apartments and twins in parts of Lower Merion (Bala Cynwyd, Ardmore, Narberth, etc) and in some sections of Haverford (specifically Havertown). I searched for one just a few months ago and couldn't find anything we liked that fit our 200k budget. We ended up in Phoenixville, which is a great town and we love it, but its a little further out.

If you find that you are having trouble finding anything down that way look at Upper Merion (King of Prussia). It's tough making a house budget like that work in the main line area but it can be done. Happy hunting!

Old 05-05-2010, 06:59 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,691,827 times
Look in Ardmore because the other towns would be almost double to what you are looking to spend. I use to live in Newtown Square and sold my home 4 years ago for 350k. Today the same home is almost 550k. Oh well.....But we are so very happy living in a water front home in Florida

Old 05-06-2010, 10:55 PM

Great suggestions everyone! Wouldn't the commute from Ardmore (and nearby towns) be super long to Malvern in the morning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or