U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 08:15 PM

7 posts, read 11,336 times

Advertisements

I am looking for suggestions on areas where to live in Philadelphia, PA as I am moving there for work in around two months from Milwaukee, WI. I am a 26yo male professional looking for an area that has a feel like Lincoln Park, Chicago, IL for anyone who has visited Chicago. My new job is going to be in Langhorn, PA, but do not want to live in the suburbs as they tend to get a little boring. Also, I do need to keep into consideration the parkig situation as I will be needing my car as well.

Basically, I am looking for where the "action" is and where people around my age live by. A relatively safe area with restaurants / cafes, bars, clubs, but at the same time places I can go for walks and what not. From what I have read Rittenhouse and City Center are my best choices, but I am just starting my search, therefore all opinions and recommendations are very much welcomed. Thank you!

Last edited by milwisguy; 05-08-2010 at 08:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 08:37 PM

119 posts, read 235,456 times
Depends a little on how much you want to spend. As you probably know homes in Lincoln Park tend to be around 1 mill. Some other good options given your criteria include: Northern Liberties/Fishtown, Old City (center city east), Fairmount, Manayunk, and East Falls.

Good luck!

Added: The "younger" neighborhoods imo would be Northern Liberties, Manayunk and maybe East Falls. That's just been my experience.

Last edited by Jfoldno7; 05-08-2010 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 05-09-2010, 08:40 AM

2,799 posts, read 5,444,798 times
Wouldn't the area around and just south of South Street (Queens Village) also fit? (I'm familiar with South Street but not the area immediately south in the middle single-digit streets, which I know from reading information on here is Queens Village.)

Old 05-09-2010, 08:20 PM

19,352 posts, read 16,686,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Wouldn't the area around and just south of South Street (Queens Village) also fit? (I'm familiar with South Street but not the area immediately south in the middle single-digit streets, which I know from reading information on here is Queens Village.)

Yes; QV is front to 5th and South to Washington - 5th to Broad is Bella Vista - also ok but not as close for commuting up 95. I would try No Libs, Old City, Queen Village - all good urban areas, younger (though No Libs may be the most) plus good 95 access - your commute should be 35 minutes or less (at rush hour barring a major accident) from there - also No libs is easiest to park out of the three without having to rent a spot

At 26 though honestly I would say No Libs - you can always get acquainted and move in a year after you get a better feel living here and the other neighbohoods

My only issue with no libs is it sometimes feel more seperated from the core than the others and is nearly twice the price for a cab to Rittenhouse for example - though you can take the el - you really dont want to late night

email me on here if you have any specific questions

Old 05-09-2010, 08:31 PM

22 posts, read 38,508 times
I was in a similar position. I ended up in Fishtown, which honestly was my last choice, but which has the best price/access ratio of the region. Nor Libs is roughly double the cost of Fishtown last I looked, for instance.

In the future I would like to live in Manayunk or Mt. Airy though. Mt. Airy definitely if I manage to settle down into a good career.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:25 AM

8,893 posts, read 7,816,066 times
Center City has plenty of young peoplebut you have to pay to park, no question. that's not a bad thing per se, but be aware. it's by far the most bustling part of the city and most central. that said, northern liberties and fishtown have street parking and are close to 95 and have plenty to do. it's easy to get cabs or take the el into town.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:38 AM

1,943 posts, read 4,391,970 times
NoLibs, Fishtown, Queen Village or Pennsport - in that order. Just for ease of commute you want to be close to 95 and the further north the better. NoLibs definitely has the action for 20-somethings.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:21 PM

7 posts, read 11,336 times
Dumb question, but is NoLibs same a Nother Liberties? Is that the same as Fishtown?

Old 05-10-2010, 07:27 PM

19,352 posts, read 16,686,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwisguy View Post
Dumb question, but is NoLibs same a Nother Liberties? Is that the same as Fishtown?

NoLibs is Norther Liberties

NoLibs and Fishtown border each other - No Libs is closer to CC and more gentrified

I also agree with PMAN CC is the most vibrant area but also the most expensive and most difficult to to park

Old 05-10-2010, 10:22 PM

674 posts, read 1,371,633 times
If you can afford Rittenhouse, go for it! If it's out of your reach, I would say Northern Libs, Manayunk or the Art Museum area.. and actually I would be leaning towards art museum if I had to choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia