U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 02:14 PM

12 posts, read 9,006 times

Advertisements

Philly native with a potential relocation home after 20 years! Looking to buy a single-family home up to $350k within 30-45 minute driving commute to Bala Cynwyd. Just my wife and I and two labs, kids are in college. Resale potential definitely a consideration since we will probably have to move again in 3-5 years. Also, are NJ suburbs out of the question for commuting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 02:56 PM

15,952 posts, read 12,596,554 times
Jersey would be hours on the road each way. Try Narberth, Belmont Hills or Ardmore for affordable nearby housing. Not Philly because you'll get hit for City Wage Tax. Try the Main Line Chronicle newspaper for classifieds.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:29 PM

556 posts, read 943,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Jersey would be hours on the road each way. Try Narberth, Belmont Hills or Ardmore for affordable nearby housing. Not Philly because you'll get hit for City Wage Tax. Try the Main Line Chronicle newspaper for classifieds.

jersey wouldnt be that bad to me. it depends on where in bala you are moving to. i work right on city line ave and i can easily hop right on the highway with no problem and be in jersey in 30 min.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:47 PM

it would be on city ave, close to 76. where in jersey - gloucester county?

Old 05-15-2010, 06:08 PM

15,952 posts, read 12,596,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
jersey wouldnt be that bad to me. it depends on where in bala you are moving to. i work right on city line ave and i can easily hop right on the highway with no problem and be in jersey in 30 min.
Good luck with that.
When I worked there it could take an hour from Ardmore in the evening

Old 05-15-2010, 06:50 PM

2,784 posts, read 4,485,086 times
I would look at Ardmore. You should have plenty of options in the 350-375K range.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:07 PM

556 posts, read 943,958 times
im trying to move to jersey myself this summer. im thinking burlington cty. maybe maple shade, mt laurel or marlton. i like maple shade cause its close to the highway and i dont mind highway driving at all. if you wanna stay in pa though, what about conschocken??

Old 05-15-2010, 07:18 PM

2,771 posts, read 3,799,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kem04 View Post
Philly native with a potential relocation home after 20 years! Looking to buy a single-family home up to $350k within 30-45 minute driving commute to Bala Cynwyd. Just my wife and I and two labs, kids are in college. Resale potential definitely a consideration since we will probably have to move again in 3-5 years. Also, are NJ suburbs out of the question for commuting?
That's basically where I work. One of the advantages of working at that location is that there are some very nice places to live that are right near where you work, and your commute won't involve battling city traffice. So there's no need to live further out. As others have pointed out, Belmont Hills, Ardmore, Conshohocken, perhaps Narberth are good choices if you're shopping in that area on a budget.

Other options: there are some listings in Penn Wynne (Wynnewood near Havertown) that are inside your budget. Havertown is another one.

As others have pointed out, if you're on the Bala side of City Avenue, you might as well live on that side to avoid paying city tax.

All these choices will give you less than 20 minutes driving in rush hour.

I'd skip Jersey -- you'll have a much longer commute (especially if you're driving in rush hour ... ), and by the time you take into account property taxes, it's more expensive.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:29 PM

266 posts, read 997,449 times
With NJ - you'll also have $5 in bridge toll to consider! they're raising the rate in another year.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:42 PM

Well, 2 years later and now I'm asking the same questions again; took a detour to DC for a couple of years. Basically, same situation; will be working in Bala, looking for a commute under 1 hour, preferably newer single under $400K or newer townhome near town center. Other than the Horsham area (which we like) I don't know much else about Montgomery or Chester counties. As pointed out on here, Jersey not likely a good spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia