U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:13 AM

25 posts, read 30,376 times
Default Best way to drive from NY-CT to Philly?

My son is attending UPenn and plays tennis for the team so we travel down frequently. In the old days, I use to take the NJ Turnpike and cross over to the Ben Franklin bridge via Cherry Hill. Is that still the preferred way to travel to UPenn? Or is it better to get off at the PA Turnpike and cut over to 95S to get to UPenn? Is this way faster, less traffic and less $$ on tolls? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 09:01 AM

6,971 posts, read 12,065,725 times
i still think the NJTPKE>295S>BF Bridge is the quickest way for me to get to center city. usually takes me 1.5 hrs from the Lincoln Tunnel.

i haven't found 95S to be any quicker, but i think you do save on tolls.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:59 PM

426 posts, read 602,031 times
My preference is NJ Turnpike South to exit 4, through Cherry Hill on Rt 38, and over the Ben Franklin Bridge.

If you want to try something different, stay on the NJ Turnpike until exit 3, take Black Horse Pike (Rt 168) north to 76 West (touching 295S for a mile or so), which runs into the Walt Whitman Bridge. Once over the bridge, just stay on 76W to Penn. I wouldn't take this route (or go anywhere near 295 south in New Jersey) at evening rush hour. It will also, obviously, cost you one exit more in tolls on the NJ Tpk.

There's no simple way to get from NJ Turnpike South to 95 South in PA since the PA Turnpike (Rt 276, exit 6 off NJ Tpk) doesn't directly connect to 95S. People have been complaining about this for years. It looks like they'll have this figured out by 2014. (!!?!) Untitled Document

Old 05-20-2010, 08:38 PM

25 posts, read 30,376 times
I lived in Philly back in '81 and it was hard to fathom why there was no connection between 95 and the PA Turnpike. For a major city, it was hard to get to via highways. I guess Philly didn't have the right political cards when 95 went it.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:04 PM

1,943 posts, read 4,229,140 times
I like the Turnpike south to exit 4, go north on 73 for one light and get on 295 south to the Walt Whitman and stay on 76 west to one of the University City exits. These days you have to use 34th St. since the South St. Bridge will be closed until November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge88 View Post
I lived in Philly back in '81 and it was hard to fathom why there was no connection between 95 and the PA Turnpike. For a major city, it was hard to get to via highways. I guess Philly didn't have the right political cards when 95 went it.
It's a bit more complicated than that. The short answer is that it has been on the radar for a long, long time and should be resolved (economy willing) in the next 4-5 years.

There were a lot of issues in connecting the two. The most important was that the PA Turnpike was not built to Interstate standards and the Turnpike bridge over the Delaware wouldn't be able to handle the traffic. The Turnpike didn't want to take on the enormous expense of rebuilding a small stretch of highway where the tollbooths wouldn't be able to handle the increase in traffic. There were also engineering issues related to where the two highways intersect and on the economic/political end there were disagreements over how 95 would be numbered and what the directional and mileage signage would say.

So, the plan is, when you drive up 95 north the main portion of the road will veer off to the east and pick up where the PA Turnpike is now. You would have to exit 95 to continue north into Bucks Co. and the PA Turnpike will end where it merges with this new 95. There will be a new bridge over the Delaware and the 95 designation will continue over the bridge onto the NJ Turnpike extension and up the Turnpike to the GWB.

When you are driving north through Delaware signs will direct you to the NJTurnpike and NJ/NYC or to I-95 and Philadelphia/Trenton

Old 05-21-2010, 07:01 AM

2,784 posts, read 5,214,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge88 View Post
Actually, this is more a Pennsylvania issue than a Philadelphia issue - there were/are also no direct connects between the PA Turnpike and I-81 near Harrisburg/Carlisle and PA Turnpike and I-79 north of Pittsburgh either. My understanding for the lack of direct connections is that PennDOT, in its infinite wisdom, believed the existing Turnpike connections in those areas (US 13 near Philadelphia, US 11 near Harrisburg/Carlisle, and US 19 near Pittsburgh) were sufficient back in the day. Oops!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Actually, this is more a Pennsylvania issue than a Philadelphia issue - there were/are also no direct connects between the PA Turnpike and I-81 near Harrisburg/Carlisle and PA Turnpike and I-79 north of Pittsburgh either. My understanding for the lack of direct connections is that PennDOT, in its infinite wisdom, believed the existing Turnpike connections in those areas (US 13 near Philadelphia, US 11 near Harrisburg/Carlisle, and US 19 near Pittsburgh) were sufficient back in the day. Oops!
Right. Because the Turnpike was already there when these interstates came in those cases there was already a Turnpike exit a mile away.

With how much room the Turnpike ramps and toll plazas take up it makes it hard (expensive) to build them in built up suburbs . . . and especially hard to justify 50 years ago when the traffic was nothing like what it is today.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:57 PM

1,224 posts, read 707,707 times
NJ is at fault more than PA is. NJ did not built their portions of I-95 (Somerset Freeway) because of the people in the towns that I-95 was to go through prefer golf courses over a direct route from Philadelphia to New York. NJ is paying for their decision to cancel I-95 and so are long distance drivers preferably people trying to get from Philadelphia to New York. The traffic along 206 is a mess and dangerous. Not building 95 affected and increased traffic on the NJ Turnpike and US 1.

I still feel that a NJ Turnpike should connect to I-95 in Bristol but by no means will that help solve this solution for everyone. I don't even think PA even started on the construction yet.

More information on the unbuilt section of I-95 (gray portion) http://www.nycroads.com/roads/I-95_NJ/

Last edited by Phyxius; 05-24-2010 at 03:11 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
NJ is at fault more than PA is. NJ did not built their portions of I-95 (Somerset Freeway) because of the people in the towns that I-95 was to go through prefer golf courses over a direct route from Philadelphia to New York. NJ is paying for their decision to cancel I-95 and so are long distance drivers preferably people trying to get from Philadelphia to New York. The traffic along 206 is a mess and dangerous. Not building 95 affected and increased traffic on the NJ Turnpike and US 1.
by the time the late 60's rolled around people in towns and cities everywhere were fighting interstate construction . . . and for good reason. They were never meant to smash through the middle of towns and cities and run through backyards. The don't perform well when they do and they've been shown to be agents of sprawl.

NJ built their portion of I-95 in the 50's, years before Interstate building began anywhere else in the country. With US 1 and US 130 already running parallel to the Turnpike there was absolutely zero reason to build another interstate in the same corridor.

The connection in Bristol should've been made 40 years ago. If PA politicians of the time didn't feel it was important enough that's on them.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:22 PM

1,224 posts, read 707,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
by the time the late 60's rolled around people in towns and cities everywhere were fighting interstate construction . . . and for good reason. They were never meant to smash through the middle of towns and cities and run through backyards. The don't perform well when they do and they've been shown to be agents of sprawl.

NJ built their portion of I-95 in the 50's, years before Interstate building began anywhere else in the country. With US 1 and US 130 already running parallel to the Turnpike there was absolutely zero reason to build another interstate in the same corridor.

The connection in Bristol should've been made 40 years ago. If PA politicians of the time didn't feel it was important enough that's on them.
I'm talking about the Somerset Freeway not the Turnpike. All the sprawl and development they didn't want end up happening anyway. Now you have all of those homes on a dangerous two lane highway and guess what there's still traffic along US 206. US 1 and US 130 are over-capacity and so is the Turnpike especially at Exit 8 and they think moving the bottleneck a half and hour to the south is going to help? I-95 was to be to the west of both US 1 and US 130. Did you see the link?

You have people going out of their ways to reach to their destinations.

One of the countries busiest highways is incomplete and PA is never going to get started on that interchange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia