Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,893 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I currently rent in Plymouth Meeting PA. We are looking to purchase our first home with a max price of $175,000. Most of what comes up in our range is in Delaware county. Towns like Lansdowne, Upper Darby, Boothwyne, Alden, Drexel Hill and Flosom among others. We're trying to stay within 45 minutes of Philadelphia and Montgomery county due to work.

I guess what we would like to know is if these are nice/safe towns to live in. We are a white couple in our late 20's. Looking for somewhere safe really. Not trying to sacrifice price for safety and future home value.

All honest opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 11:08 AM

118 posts, read 283,702 times
Default Delaware County

Hi, MLoMastro, all of the places that you have listed are nice, residential areas. The major problem you may encounter is that taxes are pretty high in Delco. If you have an open mind, you may find some better choices in Montco that may be more affordable. If you reach out to me I can do a comparison search for you.

Good luck with your home search.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:18 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmxcarol View Post
Hi, MLoMastro, all of the places that you have listed are nice, residential areas. The major problem you may encounter is that taxes are pretty high in Delco. If you have an open mind, you may find some better choices in Montco that may be more affordable. If you reach out to me I can do a comparison search for you.
Good luck with your home search.
From that bolded sentence, it sounds like you may be a realtor. If so, your insignt is certainly welcomed but you're also encouraged to read the Terms of Service, particularly the area I refer to in my signature below.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:13 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Hmmm, Upper Darby, Lansdowne, etc., "nice residential areas"? I guess it depends on what you think is "nice". Even Drexel Hill, which is quite beautiful in most areas, has gotten quite a rep as a town in decline, at least from what I've read on this board. I would drive through those areas and see what you think, especially if you're concerned about future home value.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:36 AM

596 posts, read 1,706,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Hmmm, Upper Darby, Lansdowne, etc., "nice residential areas"? I guess it depends on what you think is "nice". Even Drexel Hill, which is quite beautiful in most areas, has gotten quite a rep as a town in decline, at least from what I've read on this board. I would drive through those areas and see what you think, especially if you're concerned about future home value.
Agreed, it's a nationwide phenomenon where older inner-ring suburbs have started to decay as the transition pattern seems to be further out into newer areas or back to the cities.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:10 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,465 times
I would say avoid Upper Darby, William Penn, SE Delco, Chester and Chichester school districts.

Anywhere else should be good to great. Folsom is probably the nicest place you mentioned from that perspective.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:33 PM

153 posts, read 308,938 times
I would take a look at Norwood and Prospect Park, but look north of Chester Pike . Both are incredibly safe and affordable, with decent schools (Interboro).

Old 06-01-2010, 07:46 PM

17 posts, read 35,684 times
I live in Lansdowne and it is a very nice town to live in. The public schools leave much to be desired, but then I do not have any school aged children, nor do most of my neighbors. There are a lot of young couples with small children and other people that have lived here for a long time. Drexel Hill and Lansdowne are really affordable livable nice towns with lots of character. Unfortunately there are some people that constantly post negative postings about them (I wonder if they even live here!). The best way is to check the the area, talk to people and find out for yourself.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:54 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,465 times
I lived in the area my whole life and witnessed the horrible decline of Lansdowne and the William Penn SD going down the tubes.

I fled Drexel Hill 3 years ago at the top of the market because I couldn't take the crappy new neighbors moving in from the city. We even looked into staying but the elementary schools were mediocre so we figured we'd might as well get while the getting was good.

My old neighborhood now has tiny yards filled with pit bulls and excrement - I am so glad I got out!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,893 times
Thanks for all of the good info folks!! We don't have any children yet so the only thing that the school district effects is resale value I suppose. By the time we have children and they are school aged, we'll probably be moving on to a more permanent settlement. This home will probably be a "five year home" until we are making more money and are able to buy something in a nicer area. Very helpful stuff.

Interboro school district? Some of those towns look nice.
Aldan has some nice looking homes. How about the neighborhoods? Good people or are they declining as well?

Keep it coming everyone! We're going to go see some houses this week in Aldan, Folsom, and maybe Upper Darby.

Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia