Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 02:21 PM

783 posts, read 815,005 times

Advertisements

What is the diffrence between the two are their any diffrences between ethics and morality if so what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 03:20 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
I'm not an expert but I think that they both are a way of viewing right and wrong. Those from a religious standpoint think in terms of morality and those who are secular think in terms of ethics.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:48 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,278,219 times
I see them interchangeable, at their discrete definitions.

Morality or Ethic Philosophy - The measurable or data driven study of what decisions and actions humans make, benefit all life on earth as opposed to decisions that benefit: a few./one./no one./are destructive to life on earth.

I must add that the definition must include that human's are the defining entity. It is through our point of view and success that we can define morality. We must come first.

Morality and ethic's definitions must be discernably repeatable to all, given understanding of physical conditions.

Last edited by Werone; 09-06-2010 at 09:00 PM..

Old 09-07-2010, 07:14 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
"[Ethics is] is the philosophical study of morality. The word is also commonly used interchangeably with 'morality' to mean the subject matter of this study; and sometimes it is used more narrowly to mean the moral principles of a particular tradition, group, or individual. Christian ethics and Albert Schweitzer's ethics are examples."

-- John Deigh in Robert Audi (ed), The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy, 1995

Old 09-07-2010, 09:21 PM

478 posts, read 773,300 times
Though the two words are very closely intertwined, there does lie a HUGE difference between the two words. I personally take great issue with the word "moral" because it usually implies a degree of judgement, often based on religion, and imposed by the religious. But rather than go into circles of trying to explain my take on things, here is a link that provides what I believe to be a very well thought out response to your query:

Morals vs Ethics - According to the Pragmatic Thinker (http://ezinearticles.com/?Morals-vs-Ethics---According-to-the-Pragmatic-Thinker&id=802720 - broken link)

Old 09-08-2010, 04:08 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,328 times
I am both a moral and ethical person, in my opinion, but the ethical side has needed continual teaching. Bluntly, I was reared without ethics and continued in that manner for years, not understanding what was missing.

When I took philosophy, although it was a freshman class and I was not able to continue because of other educational issues, it was disappointing that ethics were not included -- at least enough to give a running start.

I sought out various books to help with the issue, and being a religious person, ended up staying mainly with Rabbi Joseph Telushkin. I've learned a lot from him and have much more to learn.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
Though the two words are very closely intertwined, there does lie a HUGE difference between the two words. I personally take great issue with the word "moral" because it usually implies a degree of judgement, often based on religion, and imposed by the religious. But rather than go into circles of trying to explain my take on things, here is a link that provides what I believe to be a very well thought out response to your query:

Morals vs Ethics - According to the Pragmatic Thinker (http://ezinearticles.com/?Morals-vs-Ethics---According-to-the-Pragmatic-Thinker&id=802720 - broken link)

I disagree, although morals are associated with religious teachings, the underlying principle is seeking the truth. A good moral person is the same as a good ethical person. It just depends on how you wish to see yourself. I can be a moral person and base my morals on principles of conduct, or in other words, define moral behavior that is repeatable and understandable by the masses. In the definition above, people who are active participants in interpreting right and wrong, and whose opinion counts, are ethical, and the masses are moral.

The author of that article discounts a different view, one of a faith based teaching. I am not a religious person but I can appreciate someone searching for the truth regardless of where they are with their thinking and how loyal they are with their religion or upbringing.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:42 AM

478 posts, read 773,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
I disagree, although morals are associated with religious teachings, the underlying principle is seeking the truth. A good moral person is the same as a good ethical person. It just depends on how you wish to see yourself. I can be a moral person and base my morals on principles of conduct, or in other words, define moral behavior that is repeatable and understandable by the masses.
But therein lies the difference between morals and ethhics; do you not see that? Perhaps we are just not understanding each other...In some cultures, the "masses" believe that stoning a woman for committing adultery is "moral". Based on their particular religion. And thus justified. Were you to live in such a culture, could you defend such a thing as being moral, by your own standards that you explained above? I'd hope you do not. But that's what you are saying that the word moral is based on, the masses. And that is, irregardless of the specific definition- what the word MORAL implies as defined in the post I linked. Yes, the "masses" have everything to do with what is deemed "moral", but not necessarily anything to do with what is ethical.

Fact is, one's personal ethics should remain, as they are, in spite of societal, and/or the religious standard of morals. Which, I believe, is as it should be. Within the mind of any thinking person- religion or culture aside- there happen to exist certain standards that are, and are not acceptable within the confines of how one is best to treat another human being. And that comes not from societal MORALS, but from the heart of the individual, and his/her code of ETHICS- which is universal...among thinking, emoting human beings, anyway. It's really simple insofar as theory, but as for semantics- yes, we may all be complicating things so it would seem right now. But let's face it- if we are to be honest, we all *know* that whenever the word "moral" is used there are implications and innuendos. And NOT the same when the word "ethical" is used so yeah, outside this thread, the difference between the two words is in fact quite vast. It just may take some thought to realize it.

Quote:
The author of that article discounts a different view, one of a faith based teaching. I am not a religious person but I can appreciate someone searching for the truth regardless of where they are with their thinking and how loyal they are with their religion or upbringing.
Well, that might be where our differences lie. To me, there is no "searching" for any "truth". The manner by and how we live, and how we treat other is obvious, automatic and innate, and there requires nothing but just being true to ones' self, and others. No truth be sought, as we already "have" it within ourselves. Nobody should need any outside influence to "know" that things like murder, stealing, what have you is just not what we are here to do to one another. People just tend to think too much and seek for that which is either not there, or they make stuff up in order to create guidelines and laws in order to keep themselves and other non-thinkers like them in line. Hence organized religion...

Old 09-09-2010, 02:26 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
I disagree, although morals are associated with religious teachings, the underlying principle is seeking the truth. A good moral person is the same as a good ethical person. It just depends on how you wish to see yourself. I can be a moral person and base my morals on principles of conduct, or in other words, define moral behavior that is repeatable and understandable by the masses. In the definition above, people who are active participants in interpreting right and wrong, and whose opinion counts, are ethical, and the masses are moral.

I rather see the truth as unconnected with ethics or morality. That may seem surprising or even distasteful but it isn't. It recognizes that Ethics and morality is the search for what's good and what's bad and that very much depends on human preferences.

The truth is that the universe doesn't care whether we live or die but we do. Our preference is that we continue to exist. The reason for that is an evolved survival instinct.

That we have to factor in our preferences is the reason why moral codes are human conventions and not universal truths.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post

Well, that might be where our differences lie. To me, there is no "searching" for any "truth". The manner by and how we live, and how we treat other is obvious, automatic and innate, and there requires nothing but just being true to ones' self, and others. No truth be sought, as we already "have" it within ourselves. Nobody should need any outside influence to "know" that things like murder, stealing, what have you is just not what we are here to do to one another.
I like the discussion. Thank you. I see it as a mental error making ethical and moral defintions have a DIVIDING difference. I see anything that divides people instead of uniting people as a mental error.

The fact that you see there being an "innate ethical compass" is contradictory to your statement and acceptance of the cited definition of ethics. You stated:

"To me, there is no "searching" for any "truth". The manner by and how we live, and how we treat other is obvious, automatic and innate, and there requires nothing but just being true to ones' self, and others. No truth be sought, as we already "have" it within ourselves."

You sound like some religious person defending western morality.

Beware the "auslander" or "foreigner" when he comes to your lands....

I instead offer ethical and moral defintions a level playing field, where the merits of what benefits the majority of the people can be discussed and agreed upon regardless of differences in religion, geographical origin or level of philosophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy