U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:47 AM

3,299 posts, read 1,945,504 times

Advertisements

Suppose we had the technology to build robots (perhaps "androids" would be the more accurate term) that looked human and behaved like friendly, intelligent beings. Would you accept one as a house guest? Domestic servant? Friend? Sexual playmate?

Do you think that a being who acts like a fully intelligent human would necessarily experience the world? (In other words, would there be "something it is like" to be them? Or could they just be an insentient assembly of parts, even though they behave as if they are fully conscious?)

If you came to believe that your android was, in fact, conscious and truly felt sensations and emotions, do you think you might conceivably fall in love with it? Would a sentient android be worthy of being loved and valued like a human, or would you always see it as less than human?

Obviously these are just hypothetical questions at the moment, but given the rapid pace of technology, we might be faced with real questions of this kind in the next few decades. This article outlines some of the advances that have already been made, and talks about some of the real questions that might arise. I've been watching the remake series of Battlestar Galactica lately, and I'm wondering how people would really react to seemingly sentient machines if we were to build them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 10:54 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,791,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Sexual playmate?
Yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQVWP8fP5To

Old 11-18-2010, 11:00 AM

3,622 posts, read 4,695,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
and I'm wondering how people would really react to seemingly sentient machines if we were to build them.
Eventually the technology would become so advanced they would be just like humans, fight for their rights and then you would be back to square one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDcDx...eature=related

Old 11-18-2010, 11:26 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,727,451 times
I see there are people here who need to catch up on their science fiction. This topic came up back in the 1940s. Ray Bradbury and Isaac Asimov both explored it, just to name two.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:30 AM

3,622 posts, read 4,695,802 times
Yes but if we had you would have never had the chance to show off your science fiction expertise, lol!

Old 11-18-2010, 12:36 PM

3,299 posts, read 1,945,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I see there are people here who need to catch up on their science fiction. This topic came up back in the 1940s. Ray Bradbury and Isaac Asimov both explored it, just to name two.
Actually, I am familiar with both the science and the sci-fi. I doubt that we will have true AI within the next decade, but the ability to simulate the look, feel, and basic behaviors of human beings will be here within a few years. The article has links to some amazing technology, and some people are already falling in love with "real dolls" (realistic-looking sex toy dolls), others are falling in love on "second life", etc., so I'm fairly certain that some of these questions will start becoming relevent sooner than most people expect.

But even aside from the emerging technology, the questions also serve as a way to explore our actual thoughts and feelings today about the practical and spiritual implications of love, along with such concepts such as responsibility, morality, sanity, and the nature of consciousness.

I love ice cream, but I don't love it in the way that I love my dog, and I don't love either of those in the way that I love my brother, and I don't love any of them in the way that I love my wife. How might we (and how should we) love robots?

I will freely admit that I would be happy to have some kinky sexual fun with a realistic "hot robot babe" but I would fear for my sanity if I started to feel that I was falling "in love" with a robot - unless I had good reason to believe that she is a genuinely sentient being - in which case I would not feel at all bad about truly loving her.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:00 PM

701 posts, read 658,395 times
I don't believe we will ever create free moral beings. That said, if we one day created something with an intelligence capable of making a moral choice based on free will then that entity would cease to be a robot. Don't know that it could be classified as human, but, if it has the same freedom of thought and choice that we as humans have then it should have the same rights as any other citizen. If any such entity could exhibit complete selfless love of its own free will (without any programing to do so), then i would have no issue reciprocating that love.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:26 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,248,421 times
I'd love their to be robots. I don't care for pets, but a robot to aid me with my disability could be pretty neat. Although I don't know that I'd need it to be fully sentient for that.

A robot that can give or receive love is probably a long way off in the real world or may not even be possible. Granted people can love things even the thing doesn't love them back. Or at least they can become attached to objects. I have an attachment to a ratty old blanket and a toy frog I got before I turned five. I mean I'm not in love with them or anything like that, but I would hate to lose them. I think men, particularly those with a high Autism Quotient, are said to be more likely to develop connections to objects. I know some soldiers in Iraq became sad or almost mournful when certain robots that had lasted a long time got blown up in a mission. Not so much because of what it said of their own safety, but because they missed the little guy.

So I'd guess the first robot love will be one-way. Maybe something like in "Lars and the Real Girl", but with the "Real Girl" being able to engage in simple conversations and such. So the robot will be able to tell a futuristic Lars it loves him, but probably with not much more meaning than a toy robot now saying it.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:01 AM

478 posts, read 637,619 times
I'd be inclined to say no, that I couldn't love or emote towards a "robot" nor could they towards me or anyone else...but have any of you ever seen the movie "A.I. Artificial Intelligence" with Haley Joel Osment? Boy, did that ever draw me to tears in a big way. It made me put aside my rationale and just LOVE that little boy, not to mention his teddy bear! For those who haven't seen it, watch it- it's a wonderful film

Anyway- of course in no way could any manufactured being, irregardless of the complexity of and within it's design, compete with humans with regard to any deep relations. However, machines DO have, and develop their own little "personalities" in a most peculiar way. I'm sure everyone out there has had an old car that has it's "quirks" and little traits that only you can relate to, and understand? And respond quite well, and specifically to YOU and not really anyone else?! I have a '68 Ford that I have this relationship with...I firmly believe that even machines do tend to possess personalities and traits, and develop a "life" of their own, and on their own, despite and irregardless of the fact that they were 'created', but that's simply because I believe everything has it's own energy and vibe. Perhaps it is we who give it to them but however it happens- it seems to happen.

But again- I don't for a second believe that if one is looking for any kind of deep love, that companionship with any such 'created' being would suffice. But for a friend or housekeeper or whatnot- heck, bring 'em on!

Old 11-19-2010, 01:30 AM

701 posts, read 658,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
I'd be inclined to say no, that I couldn't love or emote towards a "robot" nor could they towards me or anyone else...but have any of you ever seen the movie "A.I. Artificial Intelligence" with Haley Joel Osment? Boy, did that ever draw me to tears in a big way. It made me put aside my rationale and just LOVE that little boy, not to mention his teddy bear! For those who haven't seen it, watch it- it's a wonderful film

Anyway- of course in no way could any manufactured being, irregardless of the complexity of and within it's design, compete with humans with regard to any deep relations. However, machines DO have, and develop their own little "personalities" in a most peculiar way. I'm sure everyone out there has had an old car that has it's "quirks" and little traits that only you can relate to, and understand? And respond quite well, and specifically to YOU and not really anyone else?! I have a '68 Ford that I have this relationship with...I firmly believe that even machines do tend to possess personalities and traits, and develop a "life" of their own, and on their own, despite and irregardless of the fact that they were 'created', but that's simply because I believe everything has it's own energy and vibe. Perhaps it is we who give it to them but however it happens- it seems to happen.

But again- I don't for a second believe that if one is looking for any kind of deep love, that companionship with any such 'created' being would suffice. But for a friend or housekeeper or whatnot- heck, bring 'em on!
But we are created beings. We are organic machines. If the day ever came when we could built machines so complex they could actually become "self aware" and have a will of their own (be able to make a conscious choice absent of, or contrary to, any "programming"), I think we would have to stop calling them robots, even if they were made out of metal and looked like a toaster. Imagine if your toaster was self aware, and could speak to you? How would you treat him/her? If you walked in and they said their heating coils ached from an electrical spike last night would you feel bad? If we ever create something that can sense its environment, and have an unprogrammed emotional reaction to it, then we are going to be living in a drastically different world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy