Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 04:53 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I believe it is a good thing to find a purpose, but we just aren't assigned a purpose beforehand.
no we're not assigned a purpose before hand, it's up to us to figure that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I don't. For what "purpose" do starving infants die? And don't just trot out some platitude about "we can't know". Give me a valid "purpose" that a starving baby in Darfur must fulfill in its life.

There is no ultimate purpose to life, other than what each person decides to make of it. We choose what our own life means; nothing chooses for us.

Never said anything about an ultimate purpose, that's up to each individual to figure that out and after all aren't you living up to yours, I mean look at your first post....

Old 01-18-2011, 05:03 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Well folks, let's deal with a little deep thinking. I present to you 4 questions that will require you to do some serious thinking about yourself before you answer. Here are the questions.

#1. Who are you?

#2. Where do you come from?

#3. What is your purpose?

#4. What do you think your future is?

Now before you answer, think real hard and seriously about the questions and your answers.

1. My name is Charles.
2. In what time frame? Now? I come from El Segundo to home, right now I am riding in a vanpool stuck in traffic on the 405 freeway in Redondo Beach. (I have an air card on my laptop for high speed internet in the van - else I'd die.)
3. Make myself happy.
4. Continue to ride in the van on freeway until I get to the park and ride.

Those weren't so hard. Next question?

Old 01-18-2011, 05:29 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,164 times
Quote:
no we're not assigned a purpose before hand, it's up to us to figure that out.
So you're now kind of weaseling out of what you originally implied, changing the goalposts after the fact. You said:

Quote:
I believe that each and every one of us are here for a particular purpose.
The implication here is plain.

If you meant that you DON'T think we all have a particular purpose in life until we choose one, then you should have said that, and stated that you think we all choose our own reasons for being here. But by making the above statement, you directly imply that something other than "me" assigned a specific purpose to my life. Also, I don't think that everyone has a particular purpose, chosen or not. There are people that go through life without any purpose whatsoever. So no, we don't all have one.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
So you're now kind of weaseling out of what you originally implied, changing the goalposts after the fact. You said:

The implication here is plain.

If you meant that you DON'T think we all have a particular purpose in life until we choose one, then you should have said that, and stated that you think we all choose our own reasons for being here. But by making the above statement, you directly imply that something other than "me" assigned a specific purpose to my life. Also, I don't think that everyone has a particular purpose, chosen or not. There are people that go through life without any purpose whatsoever. So no, we don't all have one.

Everybody has a purpose, even if it's to do nothing, that's a purpose...... and I'm not waffling out of anything, if a person chooses to do nothing, that's their choice but it's also a purpose and the purpose being to show the rest of us what to do or not do. I bet you look at a half-full glass of water as half-empty instead of half-full...

Old 01-19-2011, 01:00 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,372,547 times
Quote:
I present to you 4 questions that will require you to do some serious thinking about yourself before you answer.
I think you are over estimating the importance and relevance of your own questions. They simply are not that deep.

Quote:
1. Who are you?
Essentially this question is unanswerable as who a person is is the sum of their experiences. As such the person you are changes moment to moment, each second of every day. So the person who asked that question "Who am I?" is a different person to the one contemplating the answer. The easiest answer to your question however is that I am the sum of my experiences stored on the software that is being run on the hardware that is the sum of my parts.

Quote:
2. Where do you come from?
I suggest you revisit the human reproduction section of the biology course in any high school text book. The answer to this question is something most people know by age 12.

Quote:
3. What is your purpose?
I have more than one thanks, I am not so simple as to only have one. My purposes are my own and set by myself.

Quote:
4. What do you think your future is?
I do not presume to have any idea what the future is. Too many variable. Prediction impossible. Will attempt to shape it to my goals, purposes and desires. Will not always be successful. However the phrase "Death and Taxes" comes to mind.

Quote:
think real hard and seriously about the questions and your answers.
Have done, all my life. As I said your questions do not require that much thought nor are they as deep as you think they are. These are really basic things in anyone that has done any level of "soul" searching in their life.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:19 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Everybody has a purpose, even if it's to do nothing, that's a purpose...... and I'm not waffling out of anything, if a person chooses to do nothing, that's their choice but it's also a purpose and the purpose being to show the rest of us what to do or not do. I bet you look at a half-full glass of water as half-empty instead of half-full...
So that dead due to starvation 6 month old chose to starve itself and die as , perhaps,an example of what will happen if you don't eat enough?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:49 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,559,901 times
Quote:
Well folks, let's deal with a little deep thinking. I present to you 4 questions that will require you to do some serious thinking about yourself before you answer. Here are the questions.

#1. Who are you?

Now before you answer, think real hard and seriously about the questions and your answers.
About 1994 I joined my first discussion group on the Internet and my wife created a family web site. I jumped right into the lively discussions about religion, politics and ironically NASCAR racing. Turned out that some Christian on there who was also a Dale Earnhardt fan took offense to my agnostic views and opinion that Cale Yarborough had more class in his pinky than Dale Earnhardt could even hope to ever have. She got my phone number from a post at my web site and proceeded to call my house at 2:00-4:00 in the morning till we had to take down our web site, change our number and pay extra to have it unlisted. Needless to say I will not answer part of your inquiry. Just think of me as Ol' Mel.

I hail from west Tennessee and was born the year the depression was just getting really bad. It was also the year Norris Dam on the TVA chain was completed, 1934.

I'm retired now but my purpose at this forum is hope that at least one person can lay aside the 2000 year old collection of Jewish fairy tales and live their life "free as a bird" because of my personal stories about infant and childhood brainwashing.

My future is obviously limited. I've had a relatively happy and healthy life and take great pride that with only a high school education two of my three children have masters degrees and the other one is a project director for the DOE earning six figures. I have eight smart, healthy grandchildren and one gg daughter who just passed her first b'day. Thank you very much.

Last edited by Melvin.George; 01-19-2011 at 04:57 AM..

Old 01-19-2011, 05:08 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,041,835 times
[quote=ptsum;17470383]Well folks, let's deal with a little deep thinking. I present to you 4 questions that will require you to do some serious thinking about yourself before you answer. Here are the questions.

#1. Who are you?Well of course I am Jazzymom!

#2. Where do you come from? I come from not to far from our nations capitol...

#3. What is your purpose?My purpose at least right now is to get my 3 kids to adulthood and sometimes that requires I have a beer or 2.....

#4. What do you think your future is?I haven't a clue..... Sorry....

[color=navy]Now before you answer, think real hard and seriously about the questions and your answers.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:58 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,467 times
Quote:

#1. Who are you?

1:dobeable
2:the eternal spiritual world
3:to get back to where i came from
4:to travel through millions of existences,and bodys throughout the billions of universes in the temporary material platform,untill i get back to where i came from.and then the dreamer awakes!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy