Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 06:28 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,052 times

Advertisements

I find it really interesting how some people seem to think it's worse to be PC than to be racist or homophobic. Or how it's worse to want to improve the environment than to destroy it.

Of course, when confronted they won't admit it because it's socially unacceptable to admit you get angrier about PC people than racists, but at the same time I know that PC is more hated and more likely to be complained about, and I also think I know why.

It's because people can tolerate other people hating things that have nothing to do with them directly, but when someone criticizes their own actions, they get irritated.

If someone says they have an issue with non-whites and I'm white, not only do they not have an issue with me, but they're more likely to accept me because I'm white. But if someone has an issue with me telling a certain joke, then there is more likely to be tension between us... which of course, makes me feel rejected.

This is why feminists, environmentalists and PC people are so universally reviled... because they attack the things that people hold the most dear-- namely, their selfish, careless lifestyles and traditional roles. As soon as it requires an effort or change on behalf of the individual, people get annoyed... moreso if they think they're adults who, unlike children, don't have to answer to anyone else.

This is why children are less likely to object to an insistence on being PC/non-racist/non-homophobic-- because they don't walk around thinking they're an authority on themselves and how things 'really' are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 07:32 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Odo I find it really interesting how some people seem to think it's worse to be PC than to be racist or homophobic. Or how it's worse to want to improve the environment than to destroy it.
I believe that is your perspective alone, how can you speak for what others think and feel? Also, which IS greater? My feelings are, they are both the same?

Quote:
Of course, when confronted they won't admit it because it's socially unacceptable to admit you get angrier about PC people than racists, but at the same time I know that PC is more hated and more likely to be complained about, and I also think I know why.
who have you confronted about it besides in here? Because you are actually generalizing...I will admit, I get very angry when PC people try and tell me how I should think and feel...you don't get anywhere trying to control the beliefs of others, be it for or against an issue.

Quote:
It's because people can tolerate other people hating things that have nothing to do with them directly, but when someone criticizes their own actions, they get irritated.
well, that is human nature, and so would you, and it depends on the delivery as well....

Quote:
If someone says they have an issue with non-whites and I'm white, not only do they not have an issue with me, but they're more likely to accept me because I'm white. But if someone has an issue with me telling a certain joke, then there is more likely to be tension between us... which of course, makes me feel rejected.
Now that is a good example, which I've been saying for years, no one can make you feel sad or indifferent they yourself...it's your choice to feel rejected....you are the only one who can control that. And actually, that is how you would weed out who you want to be friends with or not.

Quote:
This is why feminists, environmentalists and PC people are so universally reviled... because they attack the things that people hold the most dear-- namely, their selfish, careless lifestyles and traditional roles. As soon as it requires an effort or change on behalf of the individual, people get annoyed... moreso if they think they're adults who, unlike children, don't have to answer to anyone else.
well, in your eyes, that may be one reason, but no one ever feels one way about an issue, I feel a certain way about issues for many reasons, both good and bad.

Quote:
This is why children are less likely to object to an insistence on being PC/non-racist/non-homophobic-- because they don't walk around thinking they're an authority on themselves and how things 'really' are.
for the most part, children think and feel pretty much like they're parents do....but never ever do you find a human being who feels 100% like another human being, we are all different, and we all feel differently about all issues....

Old 09-22-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Indeed, the PC crowd is extremely irritating. Pity they represent most of the population.
I don't think they do represent most of the population, and honestly I could be wrong, but I believe most people who are not politically correct, are not vocal about it, and do not protest nearly as loud as the PC crowd...

Old 09-23-2014, 03:57 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,854 times
I don'y like pc people- those people who strive to not offend- offend me, lol. It has nothing to do with any kimd of prejudice, the options aren't be pc, or you're a bigot, seriously...

The point is to not offend anyones fragile little ego about them, and what they hold dear. You can't make everybody happy, you just can't do it. Just another group of people, trying to take hold the world with kid gloves, we already have the everybody wins syndrome, and really it just makes everythinh stale, and boring, yrying to tip toe over eghshells. The best comediens are the non pc ones. Comedy would by staggard. Who wants to listen to, say; Ralphy May with a pc supposed to be racist joke; so an african american, and a caucasian walks in a bar. Because they had a long days work, and that is their daily schedule being single, waiting for the rigjt women. That ain't funny, it's pc and sad, I like jokes, such as; two women sit together quietly. The world is harsh, bigots, cheauvanist, non-pc people are always going to be here, I like trying to make the world a better place, but I think the most people will be like, naw eff that.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I don'y like pc people- those people who strive to not offend- offend me, lol. It has nothing to do with any kimd of prejudice, the options aren't be pc, or you're a bigot, seriously...

The point is to not offend anyones fragile little ego about them, and what they hold dear. You can't make everybody happy, you just can't do it. Just another group of people, trying to take hold the world with kid gloves, we already have the everybody wins syndrome, and really it just makes everythinh stale, and boring, yrying to tip toe over eghshells. The best comediens are the non pc ones. Comedy would by staggard. Who wants to listen to, say; Ralphy May with a pc supposed to be racist joke; so an african american, and a caucasian walks in a bar. Because they had a long days work, and that is their daily schedule being single, waiting for the rigjt women. That ain't funny, it's pc and sad, I like jokes, such as; two women sit together quietly. The world is harsh, bigots, cheauvanist, non-pc people are always going to be here, I like trying to make the world a better place, but I think the most people will be like, naw eff that.
great post, and yes, a large part of the world today is unable to laugh at themselves....everyone is so serious and waiting to pounce on anyone who even slightly disagrees with their belief system....well I'm sorry to say, that you cannot control people and tell them how they should think and what they can and cannot say...it is ludicrist to believe otherwise.

I had a lovely Jewish friend, she has passed on...but she used to laugh, and crack jokes about her ethinticity and we loved her, and laughed so hard sometimes our belly's hurt....and there is nothing wrong with that, and the Italian jokes we used to tell when we were kids....my God, this world has a broomstick stuck up their you know whats and it's time to stop...

yes, there are rude and lude people, always has been and always will be, you cannot stop it, but by demanding them to stop only makes an issue out of the situation.. you have a choice, walk on or stay there and take it....it's totally up to you....that is not the kind of person I would hang out with or want to be with at all, so I don't allow them into my life, period.

It's all about choice.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:24 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Seems like a bunch of people on here want to be as rude and abrasive as possible and never want to be held accountable for it.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:07 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Seems like a bunch of people on here want to be as rude and abrasive as possible and never want to be held accountable for it.
And they're the touchiest when you insult them with a non-PC comment. I work with a bunch of half-wits that find great humor in the worst raciest and sexist jokes. "F*g" this and "n****r" that for eight hours a day. But insult their favorite football team or question the strange sexual attraction they have to guns and camouflage clothing and they darn near start to cry every time. I guess they think they're funny, but like I said they're half-wits with an apparently classless upbringing.

Sure, people have the right to say whatever they want, but they shouldn't be surprised if they get throat punched by the person on the other end of their comments.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:20 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
I find it really interesting how some people seem to think it's worse to be PC than to be racist or homophobic. Or how it's worse to want to improve the environment than to destroy it.

Perhaps these folks are reacting to the supreme hypocrisy all too often exhibited by the PC folks, especially the PC folks so anxious to sit in judgement and call names on their perceived "violators"....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy