Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 07:29 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,131,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Now there is one opinion you should 'de-program' yourself out of.
It is the ultimate insult and the biggest block to understanding others.
It's one thing to tell someone what they think is wrong.
It's the death of communication when you decide for yourself what they think.
Thanks for proving my point, Oldcold.
You are programed to believe ANY definition of God is wrong.
I'll let YOU think about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 07:53 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,131,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
...It takes nothing to be an atheist. Rocks are atheist in that they do not believe in a god. Squirrels and bullfrogs (so far as the evidence indicates) atheist in that they do not have a belief in a god. Babies are born a-theist since they do not have a belief in a god - until it is taught them.

The questions they ask are reasonable curiosity questions and in no way are incompatible with atheism...
Hi Arequipa,
I agree that it takes nothing to be an atheist. What I mean, is that I don't think there are any true Atheists, based on my definition of God.
Squirrels, bullfrogs & babies are born with a natural desire for God... for survival, for love, for what is best for them, in their given sphere of being & influence.

Some questions most kids ask:
"Where did I come from?"
"Where did we get everything?"
"What happened to - - - (someone who died)?"
These are not atheist questions, nor necessarily theist questions... but spiritual questions.
Spirituality is not the same as religious affiliation.

Atheists seem similar to Theists... both claim to know that which they do not really know.
From my understanding, Atheism does not endorse imagination, but explains everything away scientifically. (Correct me if I'm wrong).
Yet... imagination, spirit, love or passion (whatever you want to call the power of belief in that which can't be seen or scientifically studied) is what gives life the most meaning, wouldn't you agree?

I realize my definition of God is not how many Theists nor Atheists define God. Beliefs, & definitions are powerful. I think it is in our & other cultures best interest in defining God in more open-minded psychologically healthy ways.
As I define God, we all naturally believe in & pursue God... the highest best.
Atheists tend to cling to logic.
Theists tend to cling to imagination or intuition.
Some learn to develop both, & get closer to what's best.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:13 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Hi Arequipa,
I agree that it takes nothing to be an atheist. What I mean, is that I don't think there are any true Atheists, based on my definition of God.
Squirrels, bullfrogs & babies are born with a natural desire for God... for survival, for love, for what is best for them, in their given sphere of being & influence.

Some questions most kids ask:
"Where did I come from?"
"Where did we get everything?"
"What happened to - - - (someone who died)?"
These are not atheist questions, nor necessarily theist questions... but spiritual questions.
Spirituality is not the same as religious affiliation.

Atheists seem similar to Theists... both claim to know that which they do not really know.
From my understanding, Atheism does not endorse imagination, but explains everything away scientifically. (Correct me if I'm wrong).
Yet... imagination, spirit, love or passion (whatever you want to call the power of belief in that which can't be seen or scientifically studied) is what gives life the most meaning, wouldn't you agree?

I realize my definition of God is not how many Theists nor Atheists define God. Beliefs, & definitions are powerful. I think it is in our & other cultures best interest in defining God in more open-minded psychologically healthy ways.
As I define God, we all naturally believe in & pursue God... the highest best.
Atheists tend to cling to logic.
Theists tend to cling to imagination or intuition.
Some learn to develop both, & get closer to what's best.
Actually atheists use imagination, intuition, logic and reason...Theists use no logic when it comes to their beliefs. If they did they would be atheists. Mostly they just parrot what they have been taught regardless if it makes sense or not.... Have you ever read any of Isaac Asimov's novels? There is a good example of an atheist with imagination.

I don't know why theists like yourself just cannot understand that atheists have only one thing in common. We do not believe in god. What is the matter with you guys, is it some kind of mental block?

Old 09-13-2011, 11:00 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Actually atheists use imagination, intuition, logic and reason...Theists use no logic when it comes to their beliefs.?

I totally disagree with this predujice statement. Theist use logic, thats a very simple truth, so for you to say such a thing; is simply predjudice. In your zeal to put down Theist at every whim, I encourage you to try and at least use what is true.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
I totally disagree with this predujice statement. Theist use logic, thats a very simple truth, so for you to say such a thing; is simply predjudice. In your zeal to put down Theist at every whim, I encourage you to try and at least use what is true.
Do you think that most of what you post here is any way logical? If you do then you have bigger problems than I thought...When it comes to their religion logic or reason is NOT used, nor even wanted by a theist...You are a perfect example.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Do you think that most of what you post here is any way logical? If you do then you have bigger problems than I thought...When it comes to their religion logic or reason is NOT used, nor even wanted by a theist...You are a perfect example.

A very predjudiced way of thinking for sure. First you say its not used, and you further insult Theist by saying logic is not even wanted. See this is one reason why Atheism is not growing as fast as it should, because of extremist expressions such as this. I want to see your group grow into a more settled approach to communication and get away from this arrogant, insulting, disrespectful face. Its just unessercary.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
A very predjudiced way of thinking for sure. First you say its not used, and you further insult Theist by saying logic is not even wanted. See this is one reason why Atheism is not growing as fast as it should, because of extremist expressions such as this. I want to see your group grow into a more settled approach to communication and get away from this arrogant, insulting, disrespectful face. Its just unessercary.
Do not take this personally, but I have no respect what ever for most of the things that you believe, and would not be honest with myself if I did, as you would not be honest with yourself if you said you respect my disbelief....Silly beliefs do not warrant respect, at least not from me.
If you honestly used logic and reason while reading your bible, then you would be as I am, an atheist.
As for your suggestion that atheism is not growing as fast as it should, get ready for an explosion of atheism that is coming soon...I talk to many young people, and almost all are non believers...

Old 09-13-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Do not take this personally, but I have no respect what ever for most of the things that you believe, and would not be honest with myself if I did, as you would not be honest with yourself if you said you respect my disbelief....Silly beliefs do not warrant respect, at least not from me.
If you honestly used logic and reason while reading your bible, then you would be as I am, an atheist.
As for your suggestion that atheism is not growing as fast as it should, get ready for an explosion of atheism that is coming soon...I talk to many young people, and almost all are non believers...

As I just told one of your fellow Atheist, Theism can loose membership for over 100 years running, and Atheism would still be a minority. Thats how far you are behind in your lust for bragging rights. And you are incorrect, I do respect your disbelief, because I know it comes from God.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
As I just told one of your fellow Atheist, Theism can loose membership for over 100 years running, and Atheism would still be a minority. Thats how far you are behind in your lust for bragging rights. And you are incorrect, I do respect your disbelief, because I know it comes from God.

As I said the next generation will by comprised of mainly non believers. You or I may not see it, ( well perhaps you will, but I'm over 70) but atheism will be the norm soon. Certainly sooner than 100 years.
So tell me how you got programmed with such beliefs as you hold dear? You do know that you did not come to believe in a god on your own, but were programmed by what you were told by others or by reading what others wrote...

Last edited by sanspeur; 09-14-2011 at 12:57 AM..

Old 09-14-2011, 12:41 AM

Quote:
As I said the next generation will by comprised of mainly non believers. You or I may not see it, ( well perhaps you will, but I'm over 70) but atheism will be the norm soon. Certainly sooner that 100 years.
So tell me how you got programmed with such beliefs as you hold dear? You do know that you did not come to believe in a god on your own, but were programmed by what you were told by others or by reading what others wrote...

I totally disagree with this. In 100 years, Atheist will be lucky to be 1/32 of our generation. Oh the number of Atheist is growing, but the number was so small, its not yet even worth measuring.

And I was programed by God, it was he who manipulated my life away from my familys religion. And then EVERY other religion I even tried to get in, he turned me away from that. I didnot come to believe in him on my own, he gave me belief. And nobody but him has fed my consciousness since. He won't even allow me to learn any other way.

And you know what; I don't want to learn anyother way. I don't want or need anything to be between me and how God is teaching me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy